Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2017, 11:46 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,468,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
Sorry. So very sad when that happens. I found one last week on our deck.
My hummingbirds rarely pass through the covered patio, but just this week, a larger bird hit the window and then landed on the patio table and sat there stunned. I went out to see what had happened reached out a bit talking to him and he flew off. Now I am worried he is flying around with a traumatic brain injury! The week before the bird hit and died.

I was just going to look for posts here that might give me some idea of how to stop this. Other than the product being touted by the crows on that commercial...LOL.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 10:37 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,120,835 times
tangelag I have tried almost every product available to limit bird strikes and nothing really seems to work very well.
I live in a forest and our home has lots of windows. Many birds have survived glancing blows and I have saved some, but unfortunately I've buried quite a few in the past 20 years
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/why-bi...lp-prevent-it/
I've used every window decal available. These seem to be the best. Duncraft.com: 4 x 4 Clear & Etched Bird Deflector, Pack of 6
We've tried leaving our windows dirty and maybe that helps a little. Just had our house stained this week and the windows were soaped up and a few still hit the windows!
Netting would probably work well, but we have windows that we simply cannot reach to do that.
Good luck!

Old 09-03-2017, 11:47 AM

20,862 posts, read 9,515,083 times
The particular window that hummingbird hit has been a problematic one, it's a big picture window looking out at my backyard and the feeders are right on the other side of the patio behind it. After having had to give the hummingbird the mercy killing I decided enough was enough and I ordered a roll of this online:
Stop Birds Attacking Windows | CollidEscape

Old 09-03-2017, 03:47 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,092,724 times
I don't have problems with the hummers. Their feeders are on the backside far enough away from the windows, but I do/did have problems with the feeder birds on the north side of my house. The hawks will come in to strike willy nilly, and the birds go every which way. Most times they will hit the windows. What I did was put foam blocks (2X2) between the windows and the screen. They hit it and basically bounce off doing little to no damage to themselves. In the past I've had the blinds closed, and they would still fly into the windows. Now I hear a little thump, and they are gone.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:15 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,418,641 times
Well, I've finally had a breakthrough with the feeder that the hummingbirds don't like - the butterflies have adopted it! Butterflies light on that feeder all day long and sip from it while the hummer go to the feeder they prefer "next door". What's funny though, is that sometimes the hummers will drive the butterflies off, even though they won't use the other feeder themselves. Boy, they are bossy!

Old 09-07-2017, 05:06 PM

20,862 posts, read 9,515,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
The particular window that hummingbird hit has been a problematic one, it's a big picture window looking out at my backyard and the feeders are right on the other side of the patio behind it. After having had to give the hummingbird the mercy killing I decided enough was enough and I ordered a roll of this online:
Stop Birds Attacking Windows | CollidEscape
This stuff arrived today. I'll probably put it up within the next week or so. When I'm done I'll take some pics and post them here.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:56 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,250,716 times
I saw a FAT female hummingbird sipping at my feeder today. I suspect she is a traveler. I gave her a brief lecture on aerodynamics and the concept of "lift", but she just looked at me and kept sipping.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:12 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,092,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I saw a FAT female hummingbird sipping at my feeder today. I suspect she is a traveler. I gave her a brief lecture on aerodynamics and the concept of "lift", but she just looked at me and kept sipping.
Now that's funny! Next week I'll add another feeder for all the ones making their way back off the island.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:05 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,120,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
You crack me up
I had one too yesterday! I couldn't tell if she was just puffed up in the chilly air (low was 49) or if she wasn't well. She hung around all morning if not on the feeder, on the deck rail. I was concerned because she just sat there, not sipping. But later in the day I saw her flitting about.
Spoke to a few other people up here who said their hummers are gone so they took their feeders down. It's too soon! I still have 2 feeders up and have seen mostly females on and off all day long at the flowers and feeders.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:48 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,250,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
You crack me up
I had one too yesterday! I couldn't tell if she was just puffed up in the chilly air (low was 49) or if she wasn't well. She hung around all morning if not on the feeder, on the deck rail. I was concerned because she just sat there, not sipping. But later in the day I saw her flitting about.
Spoke to a few other people up here who said their hummers are gone so they took their feeders down. It's too soon! I still have 2 feeders up and have seen mostly females on and off all day long at the flowers and feeders.
I agree about it being too soon if you are still seeing hummers. I leave my feeders up (and changed regularly, of course) until I have not seen a single hummer in a week, sometimes longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden