Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2013, 02:22 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,606,005 times

Advertisements

I had a sprinkler problem and had to change the output pipe from the Sta Rite Pump because the water supply was blocked. Replaced the damage output pipe but now the pump has lower pressure. Could I have also created a leak on the intake side ( since the pump got hot) and it is sucking air. How do I check for a leak on the suction side? I hope I did not damage the pump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 05:27 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
The pump is sucking air and got hot?

1) model number and type. Is this a pressuretank/pump combo set up? Pictures would be nice.

2) This might be a little more than a "sprinkler" issue.

If the pump is sucking air then you need to bleed that out of the pressure system or yes you'll have a drop in pressure. You could have also damaged the pump by letting it heat up but that would just be a guess.

I suspect you would know if you had an intake leak. I assume this system is hooked up to a well?

Did you prime correctly?
Posssible leaks in pump internal seals?
Impeller is plugged or damaged because it ran dry?

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 08-19-2013 at 05:37 PM..

Old 08-19-2013, 05:50 PM

Default Sprinkler Help

Yes, it is a StaRite, 1 1/2 pump with a 2 inch intake and 1 1/2 outlet It is 11 years old and the bracket that holds it off the concrete slab is heavily rusted and needs repair. When I went out to look for the model number the label was totally faded and I noticed it was dripping water from a joining cork gasket between the pump housing and the electric motor. So I may have damaged the gasket when I forgot to open the flow valve and the sprinkler came on. I am assuming that the pump needs to be replaced but I hope not.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:36 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
Yes, it is a StaRite, 1 1/2 pump with a 2 inch intake and 1 1/2 outlet It is 11 years old and the bracket that holds it off the concrete slab is heavily rusted and needs repair. When I went out to look for the model number the label was totally faded and I noticed it was dripping water from a joining cork gasket between the pump housing and the electric motor. So I may have damaged the gasket when I forgot to open the flow valve and the sprinkler came on. I am assuming that the pump needs to be replaced but I hope not.
Now that makes sense. Those pumps require periodic maintenence depending on how much they are used.

I suspect that might also have been a contributing factor. I would bet the sta-rite web site has instructions for maintenance, care and installation on that pump or one similar.

On the other hand maybe a new one is in order.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:53 PM

Yes, all in all I think I will look for a new pump But I still would like to know how to detect in intake(suction) leak.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:48 PM

More sprinkler advice needed again.
Generally all is working fairly well but having coverage issues. I have spots where it is not watering but it is in the path of the rotors. I have Rain Bird 5000 heads about 10 years old. many are low in the grass but popup to clear the turf. When I adjust the range then the area in-between is not getting water. When I adjust the spray pattern then the range is short and the grass starts dying . GAD!!!!!!
Help please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden