U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 05:30 AM

17,700 posts, read 35,611,083 times

Advertisements

I had so many peas that I pulled the plants at the end of June ... they were done and getting yellow. Pulled my cukes last weekend, they were done too ... started getting cukes that were fat on one end and skinny on the other .. no more energy I guess. But I had at least 5 12+ inch/3+ wide ones. Plus, when I pulled the plants, I found even more.

I have to relocate my garden next year. This is the first year we've lived in this house, so I was just seeing if stuff would grow! The Southern Indiana soil tends to be on the tan/red side. Up in northern Indiana, the soil is beautiful black and fertile as heck. But my parents aren't having much luck up there this year either.

Again, I'm really sorry for everyone's bad seasons. All I did was water with miracle grow once a month and watered at least every other day ... no muss, no fuss.

This year, I'm calling my crushed tomatoes, Nude and Rude ... nude because there's nothing in them and rude because they look so weird. Also, I'm an Iggy Pop fan, so it's my tribute to him.

Gotta get boiling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 07:20 AM

32,364 posts, read 59,796,813 times
I just canned 16 pints of whole tomatoes and 12 pints of spaghetti sauce. And the 'maters just keep on coming!

I wish I could send you some ...

When you say they look like crap ... ??? What's the problem?

Old 08-07-2008, 07:21 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,909,074 times
I've gotten a lot of tomatoes and peppers, and I am still getting them, so can't complain, but I have been fighting garden pests since June.

This summer's growing season has worn me down a bit, because I am doing an organic garden (organic fertilizer, organic pest control etc etc) and the battle never ends. You have to constantly be on top of it.

I didn't have any of these problems last year, and got tons of tomatoes.
This year I've worked much harder for them.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:21 PM

16,225 posts, read 22,595,690 times
I`m glad to hear that some of you are having a good year for them, but I`m jealous.
They are small, rottening before they are even completely ripe, they are splitting, you name it.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:55 PM

19,825 posts, read 18,832,665 times
Mine have been horrible this year. I use compost and some Miracle Grow for tomatoes, same as every year but this year there are only a few tomatoes and what few there are will not ripen. I bought the plants out in the country from a farm type place -- Early Boy and a plum tomato -- they just never did get many flowers in the first place.

I've now had a grand total of 5 plum tomatoes and zero big boys. green tomatoes hanging on the vines.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:10 PM

531 posts, read 2,585,852 times
We got off to a late start and planted our's around 4th of July. We're in NC. The plants are tall with a couple of green fruit and lots of flowers. I'm thinking about cutting the top of the plants off so that they will focus on existing fruit and flowers.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:24 PM

186,984 posts, read 76,871,298 times
Alas I'm getting some potting soil tomorrow to start some seeds in. Yep feel the need for a winter crop. If we should get a frost I'll through a blanket over them and take it off the next day. I should have fresh vine ripened tomatoes for Christmas dinner. I'm hoping to not have the problems mentioned on this thread. Usually it's the bugs that do me in. Summer is to hot for pollination is why I've waited until now. By the time they will start blooming they should set and maybe the bugs will be slowing down a bit.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:24 AM

3,306 posts, read 3,452,189 times
My tomato plants aren't doing so-so, they got attacked by thrips. Its a bit gross as they leave their little turds on the leaves. They are still producing some fruit though.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:43 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
Mine did great until the weather got hot and they burntout.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:25 PM

5,244 posts, read 14,016,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I'm really sorry to hear this ... where I am in Southern Indiana, I've been freezing my tomatos for almost 3 weeks already. I can't keep up with them ... I'm picking everyday and freezing at least once a week. They're the weirdest looking tomatos I've ever seen .. all gnarled, uneven and bulbous ... just bought some cheap plants from Menard's, nothing special, but man ... I wish I could send you some of mine! Here's a picture of what I will be freezing tomorrow:

The plants themselves are almost 5 feet tall and fall all over the place. I need to get bigger stakes.
Freeze them? Oh please, please tell me - how do you freeze tomatoes? Is there a secret? We love 'maters and can't get enough. When they're out of season we miss having them. If we ever get another good year like last I'd love to freeze them! And if anyone has any advice on how to freeze other veggies or can veggies, please let me know. This year we have cucumbers coming out our ears. I've been giving them to neighbors and co-workers like there's no tomorrow and we still can't keep up.

Mine are horrible too. Last year we had tons. They were small, but there were so many they were dying on the plants before we could pick them all. This year I have a couple that are the size of a quarter and one a little bigger, all still green. That's it. Bummer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden