U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 02:29 PM

5,240 posts, read 13,960,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
they are splitting
This one I can answer! I learned last year. Tomatoes need to be watered reguarly with no spells of dry periods or over wet periods. The water content in the soil needs to be constant. We watered ours every day last year that it didn't rain. If it rained well we didn't water. If it rained a little we watered a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 02:31 PM

32,307 posts, read 59,500,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Freeze them? Oh please, please tell me - how do you freeze tomatoes? Is there a secret?
Nope.

Wash them, and core them. Pop them in a freezer bag.

Retrieve when needed, individually or by the bowlful. The skins will slip off when you run them under hot water, and then you can toss them into chili or stew, make sauce, etc.

I've heard of methods for freezing cucumbers so that the retain their crispness, but don't remember where I saw them. Otherwise ... Do you like pickles? Although you can "pickle" anything, either by itself or with other vegetables.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:23 PM

3,367 posts, read 10,033,428 times
I think here (Austin TX) it was too hot, too early and they got confused.

It's been over 100F non-stop here since mid-May, and keeping them watered right was not easy. I tried feeding but I don't usually feed til the fruits get going and they never did. The squashes didn't flower either.

In the UK over the last few years I have grown corn, tomatoes, cucumbers, squashes - no probs - thousands of cherry tomatoes right thru until October! Not in sunny Texas tho...

Old 09-20-2008, 11:19 PM

12,983 posts, read 12,829,148 times
Unhappy tomato woes

Hello, everyone! I hope you can help me out a little, the first round of my tomatoes were absolutely beautiful! Used my coffeeground/composting 'soup'-which is from another thread here! They're Better Boy tomatoes, btw. Now, after a bit of a slowdown, they are coming in again but some of them are sort of cracked around the top/stem part, sort of crappy looking but not like diseased or from bugs. The first batch was just about flawless, and since it's been years since we've done this, can anyone tell me if this is normal? Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 09-21-2008, 12:02 AM

6,413 posts, read 9,093,968 times
I live too close to the coast to grow tomatoes successfully. I have some that came up as volunteers from my compost, but I do not hold any hope for them. I have a friend who has acreage about 40 miles inland near Weaverville, California and she grows tomatoes. I raise chickens for eggs and for the compost; I give her all the compost/chicken manure that she can use. She starts spreading it in the spring before the plants go in and side dresses them during the summer, the plants get regular water. In turn, I get all the tomatoes that I can can or process. This year I started on September 3rd with my first batch of salsa [ 27 1/4 quarts ], second batch on the 15th [ 16 3/4 quarts ], batch of stewed tomatoes italian stye [ 11 quarts ] on the 17th and I did made pints of ketchup today [ 3 1/2 quarts ]. If my friend still has some more tomatoes, which she said she would, I will have to think of something else to make with tomatoes. Maybe I will try green tomato ketchup next or spaghetti sauce.

Here is a link to cracking or splitting tomatoes

Cracking in Tomatoes - Splitting Tomato - Agricultural Articles

Old 09-21-2008, 09:32 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,332,390 times
Mine were killed by Fay started over again hopefully this time they will be good.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:06 PM

855 posts, read 2,166,693 times
My wife's parents moved into a new apartment where they're allowed to do what they want with the front "yard", and I bought some for her to plant back in May. They've been going great guns for awhile now. I was kind of surprised because of how dry it was here through most of the summer until Lowell and Ivan rolled through and she wasn't real great with keeping them watered. Of course there was a young lady next door to her that helped her plant them and keep them up. They may have done even better if she had planted them a little further apart though. They stll fared well.

Our soil doesn't hurt any. As Domergurl mentioned, we've got great black dirt up this way for the most part.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:22 AM

39,362 posts, read 47,340,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Wonder if there is a bad genetic strain of a certain breed going around?
You know I've had an abundance of tomatoes this year. Haven't heard of any complaints around here.
And I believe pitt transplant is correct, the breed is called "humanoid veggie killer". Splitting, rotting, black are all human caused problems, not the plants fault.
There is no excuse for not being able to grow tomatoes. They are one of the easiest plants to grow. This forum and google sites are plentiful on how to grow and care for tomatoes.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:40 AM

19,604 posts, read 19,719,222 times
Our problem this year was too much rain .
June & July offered about 50% days of rain, mostly heavy,not just showers.
People that mounded did OK.
A quote from a local paper:
"No doubt it's been a season of weather as rotten as the tomatoes in some backyard gardens -- "

Old 09-24-2008, 11:22 AM

39,362 posts, read 47,340,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Our problem this year was too much rain .
June & July offered about 50% days of rain, mostly heavy,not just showers.
People that mounded did OK.
A quote from a local paper:
"No doubt it's been a season of weather as rotten as the tomatoes in some backyard gardens -- "
If you live in rainy wet areas, make sure you have proper drainage. If necessary double your drainage area. Overly wet feet is bad for any plant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden