U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 04:49 PM

16,225 posts, read 22,619,820 times

Advertisements

I bought them somewhere else this year. I`m wondering if that could be the problem, or maybe its just a bad year for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 04:52 PM

3,367 posts, read 10,062,812 times
Mine were awful too, no flowers, no fruit (hardly)

I gave up, wasn't worth watering them.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:37 PM

16,225 posts, read 22,619,820 times
Glad to hear that I`m not the only one. I`m so aggravated...I`m ready to pull mine up too.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:09 PM

8,415 posts, read 35,345,816 times
I just chopped one up from a homegrown pass me down. It was beautiful.
But I am north of you in PA.

Maybe its just been too hot for them down there?

Old 08-06-2008, 06:15 PM

324 posts, read 1,576,718 times
Same deal here in CA. We have 9 planted and I've only picked about 5 grape tomatoes. Very sad. I thought maybe I had planted too early, and that the frost got them, but I staggered my planting so that I planted 5 plants a couple weeks after the first. I just now started to get some flowers. I fertilized again recently and it helped them grow a bit, I've been watering them more too, but just no fruit. Or the birds are getting what's there.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:21 PM

8,415 posts, read 35,345,816 times
Wonder if there is a bad genetic strain of a certain breed going around?

Old 08-06-2008, 06:32 PM

187,012 posts, read 76,955,838 times
I now buy seed and start my own in peat pots filled with sterile potting soil. You never know what you really are getting from garden centers. If you have a greenhouse mom & pop place then you should get good plants. I've been burned buying from garden centers on the end of those box type stores. A little research as to the variety that will produce under the climate conditions where we all live is important. What will grow and produce wonderful fruit in the NE will be a total failure here in FL more than likely. Now so you will not feel so bad, a friend of mine who manages a large tomato farm has had to plow under 40 or more acres without a harvest at least twice in the last 2 years. I'm not sure what the reason was. I'm curios and will be finding out if he know what killed the crops.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:40 PM

17,700 posts, read 35,640,276 times
I'm really sorry to hear this ... where I am in Southern Indiana, I've been freezing my tomatos for almost 3 weeks already. I can't keep up with them ... I'm picking everyday and freezing at least once a week. They're the weirdest looking tomatos I've ever seen .. all gnarled, uneven and bulbous ... just bought some cheap plants from Menard's, nothing special, but man ... I wish I could send you some of mine! Here's a picture of what I will be freezing tomorrow:

The plants themselves are almost 5 feet tall and fall all over the place. I need to get bigger stakes.

Last edited by domergurl; 08-06-2008 at 06:51 PM..

Old 08-06-2008, 06:58 PM

187,012 posts, read 76,955,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I'm really sorry to hear this ... where I am in Southern Indiana, I've been freezing my tomatos for almost 3 weeks already. I can't keep up with them ... I'm picking everyday and freezing at least once a week. They're the weirdest looking tomatos I've ever seen .. all gnarled, uneven and bulbous ... just bought some cheap plants from Menard's, nothing special, but man ... I wish I could send you some of mine!
And I bet the fresh ones taste terrific on that black Indiana soil? I will never forget the goodness of what I used to grow in N MO on heavy black ground. I'm having visions of BLT's here.

I had one year that the rains got to me. It rained seemed like non stop during the harvest season and they split real bad. I even used raised beds for drainage. One year it got hot real quick and the blooms would not pollinate. If memory serves me correctly, in order for main varieties of tomatoes to pollinate they daytime temps of 75 and not more than 90 and night time temps of a min of 55 and not more than 75. Different varieties will deviate from this as to how they are bred for different areas of the country. Several variables make crop loss hard to diagnose. Too much water, to much heat or cold, to much nitrogen in the fertilizer, to much chlorine in the water, not enough calcium, nematodes, etc. 80-85% of the time I had good crops. Some years just were bad due to weather as the variety was the same. Plants were very healthy just the fruiting got ruined.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:12 PM

543 posts, read 2,046,450 times
domergurl, you got some great heirloom tomatoes!! They look so good! Mine aren't doing well here in western Mo. Plants look good, big fruit on the vine, they just aren't ripening. We've had enough heat that I should have had tons of tomatoes by now. I don't know what is wrong this year. Bought my plants at the same greenhouse I always buy them. My dad is having the same problem in Central Mo. this year. Cucumbers are doing great though, the neighbors take off running when they see me as they know I am going to give them cucumbers. I finally had DH take a bunch to work with him. I just can't stand thinking of slicing up another cuke. Just wish them maters would hurry up!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden