Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2008, 09:28 AM
nra nra started this thread

72 posts, read 268,621 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I live in area 6B and have a blooming crepe myrtle. Last nite, we had a thunderstorm with gusty winds that got my crepe leaning on one side. I read online that i should remove the green pods and that wud help get the branches not sag . I hardly have any pods and i removed all i cud see. Any suggestions on what to do. Am cluless on how to get it back from its leaning position. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 01:30 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,035,606 times
...depending on its higth,..you may want to stake the tree...many times,..a younger tree hasn't yet developed a large enough root system/structure to handle what the wind can dish out..by adding support,..you help the tree establish itself..many trees usually need support up to their 2nd or 3rd year in the ground,after planting...it all depends upon how fast the tree grows..
with crape myrtles...once they are finished flowering,..you can lightly tip prune any erratic growth...this will encourage the tree to become bushier..also,crape myrtles flower on new growth so you won't need to be concerned about diminishing next years flowers, if you prune the tree..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden