Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2008, 11:47 AM

104 posts, read 545,549 times

Advertisements

Hi! My lawn (see image) is having trouble. It appears to be drying out or needs fertilizer or something. I water it twice each week for 20 minutes in the early morning. I added a third watering for the area shown for another day at 15 minutes. I'm in Texas. St. Augustine grass. I have fertilizer and Ironite but afraid to put it down now. Any input appreciated. Thanks.. Chris

Lawn Pictures, Lawn Images, Lawn Photos, Lawn Videos - Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 03:28 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times
You probably have a layer of heavy clay soil with a rock shelf underneath. Common in central Texas. And St. Augustine does better without full sun. Plus by August in Texas your grass has been baking in the heat for months.

Water in the mornings. Give the grass a really good soaking once or twice a week. Deep watering less frequently encourages the grass to put down deeper roots. Frequent shallow waterings will result in shallow grass roots which will not go deeply into the soil where there is more constant moisture.

Expect some browning from St. Augustine in full summer sun. Wait till it cools off in October and it will green up again. Basically your lawn looks ok.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:43 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,023 times
I have clay soil as you mentioned and my lawn looks bad in spots as well. Any idea as to how long I should have my sprinkler run?

Old 08-10-2008, 11:30 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Living in a part of the world where water is a precious commodity and where our water supply comes from rainfall on roofs and caught in cisterns, I just don't understand why certain mainlanders obsess so much about the green of the grass.

In different geographical locations, different grasses have different needs but if you want that pristine sort of "keep the neighbors and me happy" routine then pick a grass that works in the area in which you live, that's indigenous to your geographical location and won't necessitate any sort of sprinkling device. General upkeep might be a bit strenuous from time to time as in weed-whacking or mowing but getting out there and doing some minor labor never hurt anybody

You can easily divert water from your sink/shower/bathtub via simple plumbing into an outside container and thence to an irrigation system. Cheers!

Old 08-10-2008, 11:32 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Living in a part of the world where water is a precious commodity and where our water supply comes from rainfall on roofs and caught in cisterns, I just don't understand why certain mainlanders obsess so much about the green of the grass.

In different geographical locations, different grasses have different needs but if you want that pristine sort of "keep the neighbors and me happy" routine then pick a grass that works in the area in which you live, that's indigenous to your geographical location and won't necessitate any sort of sprinkling device. General upkeep might be a bit strenuous from time to time as in weed-whacking or mowing but getting out there and doing some minor labor never hurt anybody

You can easily divert water from your sink/shower/bathtub via simple plumbing into an outside container and thence to an irrigation system. Cheers!

Old 08-11-2008, 04:44 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundRockinite View Post
Hi! My lawn (see image) is having trouble. It appears to be drying out or needs fertilizer or something. I water it twice each week for 20 minutes in the early morning. I added a third watering for the area shown for another day at 15 minutes. I'm in Texas. St. Augustine grass. I have fertilizer and Ironite but afraid to put it down now. Any input appreciated. Thanks.. Chris

Lawn Pictures, Lawn Images, Lawn Photos, Lawn Videos - Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Roundrock

We also have St Augustine grass here in Florida
you didn't mention if you have an irrigation system or are watering with a sprinkler

St Aug need 3/4 to 1" of water twice a week
as azoria mentioned you are better off with deep watering less often to develop deeper roots also raising your mowing height during the heat of the summer helps, you want to cut no lower than 3 1/'2 to 4 "

There is an easy way to check how much your watering if you have an irrigation
here is a link that will tell you how to measure
Measuring how much water your lawn is getting from your sprinklers - Frequently Asked Questions - Polk County Master Gardeners

My front yard needs 40 mins of watering to get 3/4"

Old 09-01-2008, 12:43 AM

104 posts, read 545,549 times
Thanks Karla! I'm just seeing your post now. Sorry.

I have an irrigation system. I have it set now for 30 minutes twice per week. There is some overlap in the back.

Thanks for the link as well. I will test to see what I am getting.

Chris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden