U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 02:30 PM

7,730 posts, read 11,953,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I tried Winter Sowing a few years ago when I lived in NJ and it was quite successfull. Hollyhocks were among the first ones to sprout, followed by Ageratum, varieties of lettuces, tomatoes, foxgloves, and many more that I can't remember. I started sowing pretty much right around January right up till planting day (May 15 for my zone). It was so much fun and much less headache than growing seeds indoor, and the grown plants were hardier and tougher than the store bought ones or the ones started indoor.

Be careful though, winter sowing can be highly addictive
I've heard. I've been collecting seed now for a few weeks. I even take walks through the neighborhood while everyone is at work to see if I can find something I don't have that I just have to have. Zinnias are on my list. I want the big ones. LOL

I tried indoors this year. I got squat. Not sure if it was the weather or me. Some seeds didn't sprout at all. The hollyhocks I planted outside in February did. The indoor ones did not. Same seed packet too. I figure if it works for mother nature, it ought to work for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 10:13 PM

1,216 posts, read 4,838,154 times
Well - i didnt read the entire thread.. but I've been WS'ing 2 yrs now. Got a tons of [internet] pals who have been doing it many years.

I've had pretty good success, and now i have so many new plants, most i've never heard of before.

and yes you can WS in your zone.

It's fun and gives yous something to do in those winter months.

**just read the entire thread.... you do not need a cold frame or green house for winter sowing. just plain 'ole milk jugs, good potting soil and some seeds. That;'s all you need. Stick them out side and let mom nature do the rest.

since you will have earlier springs than most of us [i'm zone 5] you will have to take the lids off so the babies don't cook in the heat.

feel free to contact me if you'd like more info or photos... i'm sure i can dig up a few .

Last edited by tcs1366; 08-18-2008 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: to add more.....

Old 08-18-2008, 10:30 PM

Since i'm sure i'm out of edits... i'll add this link here.

This gal does a great job WS'ing and has a lot of good info on her site

Winter Sowing

and you may think the whole idea of putting milk jugs out in the snow is a bit whacky... but it works. Even after the winter we had up here in the mid west ... i had pretty good success, 2 yrs running now.

Her site views best in IE. In FireFox half the stuff doesn't show up... so take a peek in IE.

Last edited by tcs1366; 08-18-2008 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: grrrrr - forgot to add.....

Old 08-19-2008, 08:34 AM

Thanks tcs. I had run across that site already. I'm collecting seeds from the neighborhood. I got some gems this week. Since I have a large wooded backyard, I want some interesting trees/shrubs to fill in the gaps I've created by removing overgrown and unwanted trees.

I'm hoping I can get these to grow:

Carolina Allspice
Golden Raintree
crepe myrtles
and tons of flowers both annuals and perennials.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:05 AM

OH -- yanno, I was given some White Dogwood seeds... at least i think that is what they are.... grow to 30'.

I have no room for trees -- if you want the seeds, i can send them.

and LOTS of Rose of Sharon seeds.

Think those are the only bush/tree seeds i have.

I stick to perennials and a few annuals.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:32 PM

Thanks, I have more dogwoods than I can shake a stick at. I've got tons of RoS too. They're very popular here.

Old 11-12-2017, 05:56 PM

6,767 posts, read 5,578,429 times
Anyone planning on winter sowing for 2018?

I'm collecting my gallon jugs and 2 liter bottles. I was only planning on trying a few veggies but I'm now thinking about winter sowing most of my veggies to avoid the whole hardening off phase.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:17 AM

11,903 posts, read 15,839,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
I've heard. I've been collecting seed now for a few weeks. I even take walks through the neighborhood while everyone is at work to see if I can find something I don't have that I just have to have. Zinnias are on my list. I want the big ones. LOL

I tried indoors this year. I got squat. Not sure if it was the weather or me. Some seeds didn't sprout at all. The hollyhocks I planted outside in February did. The indoor ones did not. Same seed packet too. I figure if it works for mother nature, it ought to work for me.

Are you talking about the giant zinnias ? I have some seeds from those . btw hollyhocks take two years to bloom btw in case you did not know . let me know if you would like to trade seeds thanks

Old 11-13-2017, 08:37 AM

6,767 posts, read 5,578,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Are you talking about the giant zinnias ? I have some seeds from those . btw hollyhocks take two years to bloom btw in case you did not know . let me know if you would like to trade seeds thanks
I bumped an old thread instead of starting a new one. That post is old.

Old Today, 09:18 PM

19,495 posts, read 18,589,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I bumped an old thread instead of starting a new one. That post is old.
Paperhouse hasn't been around since 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden