U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:12 PM

26,890 posts, read 38,142,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom4792 View Post
wow, I'm in Lexington. What department at the university would do this? Our soil here is horrible, just clay, very frustrating.
Around here it's the County or State Conservation Office

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
overseeding... yes... this is what I am talking about... heard it makes the lawn even better for the next growing season. When do you do this? I have a lawn co that comes and does my chemicals... but they want an arm and leg to do the seeding.... We are thinking of doing it ourselves... Do I just go out an get any seed or is there one in particular that I should look for? And how early or late should I do it? Thanks everyone for all of your advice.....
Do it in the late summer or fall, but early enough that it will germinate and grow before winter. That company that takes care of your lawn might put down a pre-emergent in the spring and if the grass hasn't germinated, it won't with that on the lawn. Water, water, water!

For small areas I use sod.

As for choice of seed I would recommend a good garden center in your area for the answer to that. Go to two or three if you can and ask the same questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 11:47 PM

6,961 posts, read 12,378,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
The sod does better than seed, and therefore money is better spent imo than to keep throwing seed out that doesn't do well. I find that warm season grass is harder to grow by seed.

Not sure if you realize a typical 5lb bag runs around $40.00 for warm season grass.
My parents checked the price of having sod put on their front yard. They could afford that $40 bag a whole lot better than the $1000 the sod would cost.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:30 AM

2,377 posts, read 4,750,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
overseeding... yes... this is what I am talking about... heard it makes the lawn even better for the next growing season. When do you do this? I have a lawn co that comes and does my chemicals... but they want an arm and leg to do the seeding.... We are thinking of doing it ourselves... Do I just go out an get any seed or is there one in particular that I should look for? And how early or late should I do it? Thanks everyone for all of your advice.....
I would not feel comfortable giving advise on this, except we are in the same area...We put it down in late Sept..early Oct. We also sometimes put down Scotts Winterizer fertilizer if it's been a stressful Summer...with so much rain this Summer, will probably not do that step this year. You said you have a lawn service,,,Do you really need it? I find it cheaper and much better to DIY.
That way you know exactly what's being put on and how much!! The way we do it is to fill the spreader with the seed and just go over the whole yard.The type of seed depends on how much shade,sun, traffic etc, you get. If you have a Country Max or Agway near you, they can help pick the right kind of seed...

Old 08-19-2008, 10:59 PM

6,961 posts, read 12,378,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom4792 View Post
wow, I'm in Lexington. What department at the university would do this? Our soil here is horrible, just clay, very frustrating.
Cooperative Extension Service
Look in the upper left hand corner where it says county offices. Click on that then click on your county on the map.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:04 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,259,736 times
If you use a seed mix, i.e. more than one variety, there's a better chance some of it will take.

Also, aerate the lawn, by using one of those tools to make lots of small deep holes in the grass.

And like a previous poster mentioned, water it!!!!

Old 08-24-2008, 07:26 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,588,355 times
LOL... Trudy... If I let my brown thumb hubby do the fertelizer we would be sitting on dead grass all summer! He tried about two years ago and we had to pay someone to come and FIX it! LOL... This is how our job responsibilites break down... I am an ex teach SAHM to two (4 and 5), take care of the inside jobs of cleaning and cooking and maintain the garden... he mows...does any hardcore garden work I ask of him (digging new beds or pulling some nasty weed... random stuff) and goes to work M-F and brings work home to do on the weekends...I will let his brown thumb take a rest when not in the office ...LOL

Thanks all for the advice... I really appreciate it... I think i will have the hubby put some seed down once the extreme heat dies off... it has been a tad chilly and damp most of the summer... for some reason I think Summer is hitting us at the end of Aug! odd weather in WNY...

Old 08-30-2008, 01:07 AM

1,458 posts, read 5,111,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
The sod does better than seed, and therefore money is better spent imo than to keep throwing seed out that doesn't do well. I find that warm season grass is harder to grow by seed.

Not sure if you realize a typical 5lb bag runs around $40.00 for warm season grass.
If the seed is nurtured right, the same results the sod farm gets can be seen at a residence.

After working 5 years at golf courses, I can't see where you came up with that conclusion.

Now, if you mean that sod is easier for homeowners to deal with, that's a different way to look at it. The process can be easier toward the end. As far as preparation, it should be done as well for seed as it is for sod.

As for quick results once the ground is raked and rolled, I tend to enjoy the ease of sod myself.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:57 AM

1,005 posts, read 4,946,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
If the seed is nurtured right, the same results the sod farm gets can be seen at a residence.

After working 5 years at golf courses, I can't see where you came up with that conclusion.

Now, if you mean that sod is easier for homeowners to deal with, that's a different way to look at it. The process can be easier toward the end. As far as preparation, it should be done as well for seed as it is for sod.

As for quick results once the ground is raked and rolled, I tend to enjoy the ease of sod myself.
I can only say that I've tried it (warm season grass) and where I live (red clay) it was much more work to prepare for the seed.. just did not do well.. and you are probably right that I might not have had the correct balance for it to germinate/take hold properly. It grew, then died. Not for me. My sod is great, and when I need more, I take plugs from existing areas and put them in bare areas which seem to do great. I also have a home with fescue and I do use the seed method there, which works fine. Best time is Fall to plant. That's what works for me.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:33 PM

1,673 posts, read 5,527,060 times
I am going to reseed this fall (hopefully quite soon) as I lost quite a bit of grass due to the drought like conditions we experienced this summer. My neighbor is going to come over and aerate and I thought it would be a good time for the fescue as well as fertilizer. I also thought it would be nice to grow some winter rye. Would it be ok to sow all 3 of these at one time?

Last edited by citydweller; 09-16-2008 at 09:34 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 09-16-2008, 10:33 PM

25,584 posts, read 30,508,156 times
The seeds can be mixed however to get a good application of fertilizer applied at a different rate per 1k ft squared compared to the seed.

So it would be two passes to make sure everthing was applied at the proper rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden