U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-29-2011, 09:47 AM

495 posts, read 770,625 times
I use roundup and plant within days. If you till your going to just grind up weed seeds and spores. I'd get a shovel, particularly if it's small and scrape an inch or two off the top and discard it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 04:49 PM

4 posts, read 1,615 times
Default roundup

I use Round Up quite a lot. (when I really have too)It's reputation isn't as bad as everyone says.
You can spray it and with in 10-14 days plant what ever you want. I heard that SAn Diego Wild Animal PArk uses it and they have more money tied up in landscaping than they do in animals. ( HAd a friend that worked there) It has no residual after the alloted time (10-14 days)As herbicides go it is a mild one. I live on a 340 acre ranch and an the "weed Woman". Some of them you can't plant for 1-2 years.But they do keep the weeds down. I have had and continue to have wars with weeds some of them very invasive and on the "Bad" list.
I like the idea of newspaper....though the price of mulch has gotten high. If you have burmuda, crab or quack, I would use the RoundUp.
Some times you can buy mulch in bulk..even have several yards delivered. Contact a reputable nursery ...they could direct you. I did that in San Diego for my Dad's yard. And pick up my own in Reno.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:44 AM

63 posts, read 25,223 times
Wet layers of cardboard and/or newspaper, add lots of peat moss mixed with lots of compost, potting soil, leaf mold, grass clippings, dried leaves, etc, and wait a couple of months, add Osmocote slow-release all-purpose fertilizer, plant what you want, and give it plenty of mulch, but leave a bit of area around the plants so the mulch doesn't damage the plants. Then sit in the shade with an iced lemonade and enjoy!

Old 07-09-2014, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 199 times
TO lazagna
You talk about peat moss and organic material, where do I get organic material? And can anyone recommend good mulches?
Arlene

Old 07-11-2014, 06:27 AM

144 posts, read 57,895 times
Default Use the sun where you have it

Heavy Black Plastic nailed down to the soil over the grass/weeds/ clover (Cut short first) will use the suns energy to kill what is growing. Keep it on for a few sunny days and the remnants of a lawn will be gone. Pull the plastic and mulch the surface with your soil amendments. Do not till repeat DO NOT TILL unless your going to repeat the first step The plastic will not kill the seeds in the ground below about 1". If you are going with ground covers, flowers but no sod Cover your amendments with about 4 - 6 " wood chips (see Back to Eden Method -YouTube) wait a season and then plant your covers and flowers at the interface just below the chips. Be aware if you get a rainy season you will probably have mushrooms and toadstools popup in the chips. Not to worry they will just feed the soil. In the chips your ground covers will spread very fast once the initial plant is established. Do not use landscape cloth under chips Paper cardboard is ok as they will rot in the first year.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:42 AM

144 posts, read 57,895 times
Default site conditions vs flowers ground covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I'm just wondering. My front yard is a hot mess. Part bare dirt, part grass, part weeds, some clover. We don't use the yard for play (dogs and kids play in back)... so no one walks on the "grass" or whatever you call it in front. The yard is very small so I'd be thrilled with anything attractive that didn't grow tall and have to be mowed/weedeated often... so I have considered groundcover, or just a whole bunch of flowers, i.e. zinnias!

I have one little Magnolia tree growing, some cannas along the fence, and an Esperanza bush (tecoma stans) in another corner of the yard, plus there are 2 older and established Texas Mountain Laurels, about 20 foot-plus each (2 of them) providing some shade on one side. What could I do that is relatively cheap (preferably from seed) to just make it look good for now? One side is partly shaded and the other full sun.

The big question is, before i do any of this do I have to kill off what's there? Is there something that I can plant that will take over and choke out the remaining grass/weeds/clover mix?
You did not give some important information

What zone are you in?
How much rain/ year/ month?
Is there a fire danger in your area?
Range of daily temperatures Summer Vs Winter?

One of the posters mentioned the county agent at the Farm Service This is a service provided by the State Colleges for farmers and ranchers. they will help you. Also Check out the Master Gardeners in your area they can give good local advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden