Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 11:01 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times

Advertisements

I bought a fairly small (50 gallons) pond/waterwall made out of resin (I think; in any event it's not real rock) and thought it was gonna be easy to keep it clean, particularly since I don't plan to have fish in it, but it doesn't appear so...

That's it:

I was told to buy anti-algae stuff (to use it once a month) and mosquito dunks and to run the pump once a day for about an hour. It was doing OK for a few days and after the first downpour (not sure if this was really the reason or just a coincidence) the water started looking soapy, as if there was detergent in the pond... I didn't have time to deal with it the first few weeks and figured it's too early to worry about it. Was gonna call the company to ask them why the water got soapy, but decided to empty it once, fill it up again, use the appropriate chemicals and see what happens first.

When I looked at it closely it was disgusting! There was some beige/brownish stuff in it that didn't look like algae to me at all (I've had trouble with algae in a real spa/waterfall before). There were also some alive horrible critters - larvae, I guess. They were about an inch long - real skinny, red, and curling. Nothing was green and looking like real algae, though.

After emptying the pond, I let it stay dry for a few days to make sure everything is dead. When I started filling it up again, some of this stuff started showing up again. They must've been inside, behind some holes. Anyway, cleaned it completely, refilled it and it's been fairly OK since then, but the water is definitely not as clean and clear as it is when you first fill it up.

That's what I'm using.

Algaecure/Algaecide for fountains
Mosquito Dunks

I'm following the directions. Should I perhaps use more? But you'd think they know what they're talking about when saying how much to use per gallon... I started using this Algaecure about once a week to be on the safe side. Since I don't have fish to kill, it doesn't matter, I think...

Do you know of anything working better? Does anybody have an idea why the water looked soapy? I saw other people asking this question online, but didn't get answers.

I'd appreciate your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Pond - How to Keep the Water Clean/Clear-pond1.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 06:13 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,662,411 times
I have a pond that is much larger than yours that does have fish and it is a constant battle to keep algae from growing in it. I do use the Algaecide for that weekly and it helps some, but I still get large clumps of algae in it.. and I think that is the purpose of this additive.. to have it clump and then discard it. For water clarity I use a barley ball that you leave in the pond that is supposed to clear the water and help balance the PH.. which it does seem to work.

For fountains, I bought a product at Lowes that is made just for fountains. I can't remember the name of it.. but it costs about $5.00. The recommended amount (a drop or two) doesn't seem to do the trick.. but when I added more to the fountain, it worked. Since you do not have any fish, I don't think it would harm anything.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:02 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
If you aren't trying to grow plants with the water, and have no fish, then you can use copper sulfate. It'll be found in the plumbing aisles as something like "Root Kill" (look at the ingredients). Powerful stuff, it can give water a bluish cast.

Trivia - in real ponds out here in the country, the exact opposite is desirable. People fertilize ponds to encourage plant and algae growth, which feed bluegills, which feed catfish.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janecj View Post
For water clarity I use a barley ball that you leave in the pond that is supposed to clear the water and help balance the PH.. which it does seem to work.
I'll try to find that ball then. Darn, I thought it was gonna be easy. It appears to be a bigger trouble than a pool.

Quote:
For fountains, I bought a product at Lowes that is made just for fountains. I can't remember the name of it.. but it costs about $5.00. The recommended amount (a drop or two) doesn't seem to do the trick.. but when I added more to the fountain, it worked. Since you do not have any fish, I don't think it would harm anything.
What I'm using IS for fountains... Will check out other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
If you aren't trying to grow plants with the water, and have no fish, then you can use copper sulfate. It'll be found in the plumbing aisles as something like "Root Kill" (look at the ingredients). Powerful stuff, it can give water a bluish cast.
This sounds like a really big gun. I think I'll try other solutions before resorting to it as I might wanna dip my own toes in it.

Thank you, guys!

Old 08-18-2008, 10:04 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Our pond takes up most of our back yard and we have a waterfall going most of the day. The algae build up at first is a cyclical process. Besides the barley ball, you might try putting in a few water plants, like umbrella palms which seem to do very well here, as a natural filter. With a small pond, just one small one (dwarf) would do.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Our pond takes up most of our back yard and we have a waterfall going most of the day. The algae build up at first is a cyclical process. Besides the barley ball, you might try putting in a few water plants, like umbrella palms which seem to do very well here, as a natural filter. With a small pond, just one small one (dwarf) would do.
I don't know... perhaps running it for an hour only is not enough. I can't put any plants in it. It's very small by pond standards. Besides, any sort of palms are "aesthetically unpleasing" according to my HOA... I was even a little afraid for the fake palm-like greenery sticking out.

Thanks.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:49 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
My pond is about 20 foot across. I have no fish but I do have plants. It's got some alge stuff growing but it gives the falls etc a cool look.

What about some bleach? Would a capfull or two kill any undesirable stuff?

Old 08-19-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
My pond is about 20 foot across. I have no fish but I do have plants. It's got some alge stuff growing but it gives the falls etc a cool look.

What about some bleach? Would a capfull or two kill any undesirable stuff?
I don't know... could be tried, I guess. Have you? Whatever I'm breeding is not pretty - not the green algae look you're thinking.

Thanks.

Old 08-20-2008, 09:00 AM

43 posts, read 231,776 times
Since you do not have plants or fish then you should be able to use bleach safely. I made a fountain out of a huge planter and had a huge algae problem because it sits in an area of Full Sun. I add about a 1/4 cup of bleach to the water about once a month and I now have clear water all the time.
-you should leave the pump running so that there is continuous water circulation. That is the only way that the filter of the pump can properly do it's job.
-if your feature is in a sunny area, try adding dark pond dye to the water. You can purchase it at any garden/pond center and it helps "shade" the water so that algae doesn't build as quickly. (When I had fish ponds with live plants in it I had great success with the pond dye).
-If you do not have fish to help or snails to help eat the algae, then you have nothing to help control new algae growth. If you turn the pump off often you are also open to having a large mosquito habitat. Mosquito larvae will cloud the water.

Good luck

Old 08-20-2008, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaid_golfer View Post
Since you do not have plants or fish then you should be able to use bleach safely. I made a fountain out of a huge planter and had a huge algae problem because it sits in an area of Full Sun. I add about a 1/4 cup of bleach to the water about once a month and I now have clear water all the time.
-you should leave the pump running so that there is continuous water circulation. That is the only way that the filter of the pump can properly do it's job.
-if your feature is in a sunny area, try adding dark pond dye to the water. You can purchase it at any garden/pond center and it helps "shade" the water so that algae doesn't build as quickly. (When I had fish ponds with live plants in it I had great success with the pond dye).
-If you do not have fish to help or snails to help eat the algae, then you have nothing to help control new algae growth. If you turn the pump off often you are also open to having a large mosquito habitat. Mosquito larvae will cloud the water.

Good luck
Thank you. Guess I can try bleach. Well, I'm not sure how much energy the pump uses, but I can't have it running all day... People don't run even pool pumps for more than 4-5 hours a day, I don't think.

Yeah, the pond gets quite a bit of sun. Man, if it's so hard to keep it clean without anything in it, I've no idea what people who have fish do...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden