U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 04:36 AM

760 posts, read 1,426,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janbrady View Post
... however, it is VERY important that you use as much (or more) vinegar as water to ensure the safety of the food.
Yikes!
I don't like the store-bought pickles precisely for the amount of vinegar in them... is it really that much better for health then some salt??
Doesn't have to be that much, I don't think... just ensuring the sterility of everything while canning...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 06:04 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,679 posts, read 16,790,575 times
The vinegar doesn't sterilize things, it's used to preserve the food.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:26 PM

122 posts, read 318,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marita View Post
Wash,peel,slice,let drain.Mix with italian dressing,put in ziplock and freeze.
Cooks.com - Recipes - Freezing Cucumbers
Why would you wash them and then peel away what you just washed?

Old 07-19-2012, 04:33 PM

15,571 posts, read 29,325,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
I'm overwhelmed with cucumbers - does anyone know a way to preserve them apart from pickling? Don't want to use salt for health reasons, as in pickles, though a bit of salt is OK. I can't make as good dill pickles as in the store anyway.

I know they can't be frozen like beans, but anything else? I'm swamped with cukes!!!
The salt only draws the moisture out of the cucumbers so that the pickling mixture will be absorbed. If you are worried about sodium content, there isn't much because the salt is completely washed off.

You can do some relish, or blend them up and put the juice in a vegetable juice blend with tomatoes, celery and peppers.

Other than being eaten fresh, there aren't a lot of options for cukes.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-20-2012, 10:35 AM

24,071 posts, read 17,675,381 times
Quote:
NO SALT

NO PICKLES
no can do.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:42 PM

491 posts, read 1,978,107 times
Don't freeze whole cukes - yucky mush will result. There are some good ideas here, but you can also just give away a bunch!

Old 07-21-2012, 06:09 AM

69,490 posts, read 79,748,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The salt only draws the moisture out of the cucumbers so that the pickling mixture will be absorbed. If you are worried about sodium content, there isn't much because the salt is completely washed off.

You can do some relish, or blend them up and put the juice in a vegetable juice blend with tomatoes, celery and peppers.

Other than being eaten fresh, there aren't a lot of options for cukes.

20yrsinBranson
my thoughts as well. There is no way to preserve cukes without making relish or pickles and both will have salt in them. It is an ingredient that has got to be there.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:49 PM

9,038 posts, read 13,921,107 times
If it were me, I'd make half sour pickles out of them with sea salt, it doesn't need to be truckloads, and LOTS of dill and garlic cloves and fresh filtered water. Maybe in place of some of the salt add pepper--even cayenne.

You could make yummy Gazpacho soup by adding in some vegetable juice, celery, garlic and vinegar and good oilive oil.... or juice them in a juicer along with greens-- leafy veggies and lemon and an apple if you want an energy boost along with a detox. Juiced cukes are great for detoxing.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:27 PM

11 posts, read 9,156 times
i have been canning veggies for years that i also grow myself and i have been wondering the same thing. can't you just cut and prepare cucs for the winter by canning them in just water, as long as you use the same safety as with everything else you cann, or is there different temperatures or steps 2 follow? hasn't any1 ever tried to see how they get because i to am being over run by cucumbers. in the beginning all my friends and neighbors are grateful then they look at you like more!! no don't want anymore. i hope some1 has an idea to keep these around for winter.

Last edited by nightmare1; 08-28-2014 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: misspellings

Old 08-28-2014, 07:46 PM

3,079 posts, read 939,992 times
Since my beverage of choice is water, I try to come up with interesting ways to flavor it. One of my favorite is cucumber! I simply slice them thin, add a couple of slices to each compartment in an ice tray, and cover with water. I put the tray inside a plastic bag and then freeze. When frozen, I transfer them to a freezer bag. Not only can you add these to water, but you could also add them to a Bloody Mary or Vodka Tonic. And they'd be great for smoothies too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden