U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 06:55 PM

5,162 posts, read 2,994,994 times

Advertisements

Years ago everybody I knew was making freezer pickles. They stayed nice and crunchy. I googled and see the recipes are still around so you can take your pick and experiment with cutting out the salt.

A friend had a recipe for a baked casserole of cukes with cheese. I see there are many variations - one with goat cheese! Try one and if you like it you could freeze a couple of those to eat later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 09:34 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,388,567 times
WOW, I did not know that you could make freezer pickles, yep...I goggled it and I got a lot of different ideas. Good to know and I am going to try some as well!

Thanks to all for this great thread!

Making freezer pickles (google search)

https://www.google.com/search?source...360&gws_rd=ssl

Here's the on I am going to try and very little salt (in the first recipe anyway)!

How to Make Freezer Pickles

How to Make Freezer Pickles: 12 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Thanks again...

Old 08-29-2014, 05:10 AM

69,273 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
A friend of mine told me once how her mother used to grate and freeze them. Some were used in salad during the winter and some were used to make bread, I guess like you might use zucchini. I had never heard of either before. Maybe this is a Dutch thing or Canadian..... she is Dutch, but moved to Canada as a little girl. If you are interested, I will try to find out exact directions.
I am not sure I would want to use them, if frozen. The problem, cukes are filled with water, as we all know and would be way to soggy to use in salads after being frozen. I guess you could use them in bread just like you use zucchini. I would try just one loaf and see how it comes out, but don't know it would add much to the bread except moisture.

You mention salt, actually there are a lot recipes for pickles and relish that call for very little salt. There is no way, I know to make a really good and firm pickle without using some salt and no way to use extra cukes other than pickles or relish. No matter what we read, I still do not think freezing them will give a crisp pickle. it is almost impossible, but for those who want to try, let us know. This post seems to pop up every year about this time.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:35 AM

3,339 posts, read 7,177,937 times
When vegetables freeze, the water in their cells expands, as do the cell walls. When they thaw, that water contracts and the cell walls collapse and release all that water. That's what the mush is all about in thawed vegetables, and I would imagine it's awful with cukes because their crunch is a big draw. If you freeze them, they will never be what I'd consider suitable for salads. I have major texture issues with mushy vegetables.

Old 08-29-2014, 12:39 PM

671 posts, read 1,467,900 times
Cut cucumber in vertical half, scoop out the seed mass, slice it and sprinkle salt over the sliced cucumber for 2-3 hrs to let the juice from the cucumber out, then rinse, drain/squeeze it by a piece of clothe, reserve in the freezer.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:21 PM

69,273 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBy View Post
Cut cucumber in vertical half, scoop out the seed mass, slice it and sprinkle salt over the sliced cucumber for 2-3 hrs to let the juice from the cucumber out, then rinse, drain/squeeze it by a piece of clothe, reserve in the freezer.
sorry, they are still going to defrost with too much liquid. Cuke are almost all water, with or without seeds. I am willing to bet there is no way they will remain firm and I don't know many people who enjoy a less than firm cuke. Yes, the salt will draw out some of the water but not nearly enough.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,253 times
Here's a 'cucumber freezing' link for you- [url]http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,freezing_cucumbers,FF.html[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden