U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 05:27 PM

2,035 posts, read 4,515,546 times

Advertisements

so heres a fun thread for everyone..

..describe some of your personal favorite flowering plants ..either in your garden,in your collection..or just some to which you'd really enjoy growing..

...if one in particular stands out, or if you have a few,..for a few reasons..
share em' all...

..amongst my own..plumerias are my first choice...what other plant brings together both the colors and fragrant essence of the tropics..

....secondly,amongst flowering trees, saucer magnolias and Tabebuia come to mind..both flower just when everyone is really wishing away the winter blues..and put on amazing displays for all to admire...both are also relatively care free when planted right and cared for...

..third..are two different flowering bulbs rarely seen here in the US..
any species of Geissorhiza..a genus of south African bulbs perfect for warmer areas of the country..look them up online.. G. radians and splendidissima are really spectacular..
..the other, Tecophilla cyanocrocus,..really isn't a crocus at all..its related to lilies..besides being nearly extinct in the wild..it produces probabally the bluest of blue flowers..this plant deserves to be coveted by more gardeners here who can grow it

for the summer and fall..Salvia chamaedryoides and thread leaf coreopsis always come through..and look great..

acouple noteworthy trees which flower in the summer: Cassia leptophylla and Tipu..love em' both

...for a final show in the fall, masses of any number of the Colchicums (Autumn crocus)..or Crocus speciosus are just spectacular below a sugar or Japanese maple

....as for orchids..Cattleya are unsurpassed as the quintessential tropical orchid...many of which delight the nose with a delightfull sent..there are even a few which will handle a light frost outdoors in some parts of the country..
another personal favorite is the reedstem orchids..or Epidendrum..these are so easy that almost anyone with a warm spot can grow them in a container...put them on a sunny windowsill during winter north of zone 9b..and they're happy..

..lastly ..my all time favorite cut flower is the Gerber daisy..its about the only one i pick up for a date.. they are the most sophisticated of the daisies..and maybe amongst all other cut flowers as well..in warmer areas they can be successfully grown in the ground, are one of the few plants which likes to be a bit crowded, and will provide a great flower..which won't set you back 5 or 7 bucks a dozen..any time you want them..
...so what about you?..got some more favorites you'd enjoy sharing?..

Last edited by si33; 09-02-2008 at 05:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 08:14 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,332,599 times
Old roses. Hands down. Love them from the bottom of my heart. Their fragrance is so heavenly, their blooms so beautiful. Just our Pictures of Roses, Old Garden Roses

Peonies, daffodils, perennial hibiscus, lillies, phlox, dahlias, foxglove, hollyhocks, roses, roses, and more roses. Bigger is better.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:32 PM

5,070 posts, read 8,970,279 times
The iris.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:23 PM

13,779 posts, read 23,692,532 times
Lily of the Valley and Orchids are my favorites.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:59 PM

895 posts, read 2,543,038 times
miniture and high bred tea roses, winter pansy's in my window box's and coral bells of all colors.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:01 PM

6,473 posts, read 13,911,992 times
Peonies!

Old 09-02-2008, 11:28 PM

855 posts, read 2,170,010 times
Gaillardias because they have the nice multi-colored blooms, they bloom like nuts until frost and the bees and butterflies like them. Arizona Sun is my favorite overall. Fanfare is a very neat flower with its tubular petals but ours didn't fare very well long term here in zone 5. As I understand it, you're lucky to get 3-4 years out of them before they die off in our zone and we got two.

I came across some mini roses at Menard's last year that are good bloomers, stay fairly compact and have a nice "classic" rose appearance. I have several of them and even though they're only around 16" tall and wide, they can have up to two dozen blooms at a time. For $4 per 3" pot, they're a bargain and they have them in five or six colors.

Disregard the oak seedling and the &#*%$ nutgrass. I let the seedlings get a little bigger than give them to a friend who's trying to get a little business selling plants together. We get oak, maple, goldenrain tree and tulip poplar seedlings all over the place. We had a nice little infestation of the &#*%$ nutgrass this year. Last year it was the &#*%$ crabgrass.

But I digress.

I like coneflowers as well. Once they bloom they hang around for awhile and we have goldfinches around that land on them and nibble on the seed heads. They do like to try and take over though.

Planted agastache for the first time and does that go like crazy. All kinds of bees and butterflies flock to it as well.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:53 AM

1,006 posts, read 5,072,516 times
Everyone has great choices. I also really enjoy the Peony. Sometimes I can't believe I actually grow such a beautiful show of flowers. I enjoy them because the deer don't. I also think my yellow tree peony is absolutely stunning.

I really like my calla lilies for the same reason. They are now naturalizing and are a showy display.

My other favorites include my Winter Daphne. Blooms in winter, an evergreen, and deer don't touch them. They are so fragrant. I have them everywhere.

I also like my little gem magnolias. I have several and really like the huge white flowers. I like them being more compact than the Southern Magnolia, and being an evergreen makes it even more pleasing. year round.

The Carolina jasmine is a carefree vine that is also a favorite of mine. Just keeps growing and I do little to it for its showy display on my trellis.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:14 AM

4,281 posts, read 9,454,811 times
Little ol' daisies. Those flowers just make me smile and my son loves to pick the ones out the grass for me! I have the first one he ever picked dried and pressed in a little frame.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:51 AM
JnR

1,709 posts, read 787,231 times
Gerbera daisies! And shasta daisies as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden