U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:24 AM

730 posts, read 2,543,466 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I recently bought a gardenia (tree?) and it is doing very well on my terrace. I was told to bring it in before it get too cool if I want it to survive.

My question is, once I bring it in, how do I care for it to try and keep it going until next spring?

I'm not very good with plants at all and am really trying so any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 12:45 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,797,486 times
I grew a gardenia for years inside a 9 x 12 bunkhouse room. LOL.

Used to mist it at first, but then let that go and it survived just fine. Just some good indirect light and frequent watering should do the trick.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:04 PM

13,483 posts, read 29,425,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
Hi,

I recently bought a gardenia (tree?) and it is doing very well on my terrace. I was told to bring it in before it get too cool if I want it to survive.

My question is, once I bring it in, how do I care for it to try and keep it going until next spring?

I'm not very good with plants at all and am really trying so any help would be appreciated!
Where do you live? I have my gardenias planted in the ground and they survive temps down to 25 degrees (with some yellowing). In a container I think they would be okay down to 32 degrees.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:00 PM

2,035 posts, read 4,415,979 times
..as mentioned by another poster,..it all depends on where you live..
most gardenias will tolerate low temps down to about the middle 20's..and perhaps even a little lower than that..
if you must bring it indoors to winter it over,..make sure it is placed
somewhere where it will recieve as a half days worth of winter sunlight..
..as far as watering goes,..once a week should be just fine for it..the idea is to provide enough moisture,without leaving the soil saturated..
you probably will experiance a little leaf drop as the plant adjusts to it's
new enviorment...this is natural and nothing to be too concerned about...
once the weather warms enough,..place it in a partly shady spot for a week or two so that it can re-adjust to being back outside...after that,..give it full sun..
another thing to watch for indoors is spider mites...best way to control them..insecticidal soap applied as necessary...

Old 09-18-2008, 08:32 PM

7,730 posts, read 12,445,614 times
If it's a Hardy Kleim, it can withstand temperatures down to 10 degrees before losing leaves once established. Most other gardenias will drop some leaves around freezing, but should spring back in the spring in zone 7 and warmer. Zone 6 and below, forget about it. And if you bought an August Beauty, treat is as an annual. They tend to commit suicide quite often. They hate high/low temperatures, fertilizer, and alkaline soil.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:05 AM

730 posts, read 2,543,466 times
I think I have a couple of problems

I just moved to a new house and the yard needs top soil brought in before I can plant anything.

I don't really have a safe place indoors to put the plant where it will get full sun. (I have 2 plant eating cats).

If I repot the plant in a bigger pot will it survive winter outside? I live in New Jersey so it will get really cold at night this winter.

Can I feasibly leave it outside during the day for sun and then bring it inside in the evening until I can replant next spring?

Old 09-21-2008, 10:01 AM

7,730 posts, read 12,445,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
I think I have a couple of problems

I just moved to a new house and the yard needs top soil brought in before I can plant anything.

I don't really have a safe place indoors to put the plant where it will get full sun. (I have 2 plant eating cats).

If I repot the plant in a bigger pot will it survive winter outside? I live in New Jersey so it will get really cold at night this winter.

Can I feasibly leave it outside during the day for sun and then bring it inside in the evening until I can replant next spring?
Is the house brick? Can you put it in a sheltered spot where it will get full sun? I think it being warmer at night than during the day may be a problem for it. It won't know what's going on.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:22 PM

24,671 posts, read 55,543,706 times
I don't think the cats will find the gardenia at all appealing to eat - the leaves are very "waxy." Why don't you bring the plant inside for a couple of days and see what happens? Cheers!

Old 09-22-2008, 08:51 AM

13,483 posts, read 29,425,055 times
Do you have a unheated garage or shed? If so, you could put it in there at night and then bring it out during the day.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:20 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,302,312 times
Default I don't think you need to worry about your cats

I had a gardenia & my cats weren't interested. They like to chew on my tropical plants. I had more success wintering it inside when I ran a humidifier during the cold weather. It even rebloomed in the spring. I finally killed it during the summer when I overwatered it during a dry spell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden