Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2008, 10:27 AM

955 posts, read 4,071,803 times

Advertisements

Our growing season is winding down, so I thought I'd ask about everyone's vegetable gardens. Asparagus did well early in the season. Our peppers were great this year. Tomatos took a long time to ripen, but when they did, they were very good. We're just now harvesting sunflowers, we use the seeds for our chincilla and in the bird feeders. Most of the herbs did well early, some went to seed too soon, my wife is drying others now. So what about everybody else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 10:36 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,895,785 times
Yeah, what was with the tomatoes? That's all I planted this year, but it seemed like they took forever to do anything. Plus my local varmints always seem to make it to them the day before they're ripe, and ruin them by taking one big bite out of every fruit.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:57 AM

41,699 posts, read 74,645,479 times
Lots and lots of tomatoes, but they got ripe all at once around the end of July. Then in August, when it got really dry, the vines just shriveled up and stopped producing. Usually I'll have tomatoes through October. But ... no green tomatoes for pies and chutneys this fall. Bummer.

I've had bumper crops of bell and hot peppers; for once the plants didn't wilt and die mid-season.

The herbs did really well, too. I've dried parsley, dill, thyme, and lavender, and hope to have some lavender still around when I get around to making apple jelly. My rosemary plant made it through last winter, but I'm not assuming it will again and will be drying some of that as well.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:33 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,942,399 times
Corn did great; cantaloupe so-so but they're coming back; wonderful banana peppers and lettuce; pretty good dill. I had an early disaster with my tomatoes -- we had a short, intensely hot spell in May that killed them so I had to start over.

The second batch of tomato plants started off slowly, did well, and are now suffering from weird weather. (We had high heat and dry conditions so I had to water frequently but then we got deluged with rain.) I have lots and lots of small tomatoes and will just have to see if they grow and thrive. These are Beefmaster and, oh my, were the earlier fruit EXCELLENT! HUGE, picture-perfect tomatoes with fab flavor.

I had NO LUCK with my yellow squash or zucchini. The plants would flower and look like they were thriving, only to die. Very weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden