Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2008, 10:46 PM

270 posts, read 1,107,706 times

Advertisements

In my subdivision, all the tree were planted in their temporary paper containers. They thrived while they were little. Now 5 - 6 years later, they start to show signs of stress and some have died because the roots are bounded in the (paper) containers that did/ do not decompose. We are in Arizona where the soil is so dry that paper stays intact in the ground. Some neighbors say our only solution is sue the builder and get money to replace all the trees. I wonder if there is another way to save what we have left. Could we dig around the tree root-balls to expose the paper, score it to allow roots to grow/ expend? Is this too simple and unrealistic?

Please give me some suggestions if you could, especially if you are well-educated in this field.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 11:29 PM

201 posts, read 655,225 times
I'm a big fan of flooding the tree for 15-20 minutes a day for two or three weeks. It's worked with other plants, why not trees? ALTHOUGH depending on what kind of tree you have, this may not be the best option. (I recommend it as the easiest though- put the hose right next to the trunk of the tree and water). If you have an aspen, this is wonderful. Aspens' roots grow out and across and go deep, but wide. (they don't go straight down). If it's an oak or maple...well, those trees are not made for that climate nor are they going to do well if you can't get the bottom of the paper container to dissolve (on account of their roots growing straight down). Also...I would consult with a local nursery you trust and know the kind of tree before you go there (take a branch with you if you have to- make sure there's some leaves on it though)

Old 09-29-2008, 08:24 AM

23,562 posts, read 70,121,575 times
I think the pot-bound roots would continue to strangle each other. As the trees grow, they would also be highly susceptible to being toppled by strong winds. IMO, they need to be replaced. Sorry.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:23 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,027,147 times
Default aiwei

..unfortunately, the only solution to this problem may be replacement of the trees...but...

...if you,and any of your neighbors who are concerned,are determined to save any of the remaining trees which are still healthy,..my best advise would be to soak the trees ( if this is possible)...dig around the root ball, score the container all the way around
it, and look for girdling roots...that is those roots which cross over or encircle the
base of the trunk...this is a fairly common situation which causes a younger tree to
rapidly decline and die

..if it is possible,trim any roots which encircle the trunk...water and feed thetree(s)...if the roots are too large,. this may not be an option..

..pruning the roots,and feeding the tree should help the tree begin to
recover..

girdling roots are something anyone looking to buy a tree or even a
larger shrub should look for while selecting them in a nursery..and a quality
nursery will not 'hold' onto trees so long that they are excessively root
bound...ive even heard of a few which will lift the smaller trees once every
year or two and root-prune the bottom roots to keep the trees from
girdling..the idea is to have a well developed root ball which isn't bursting
out of it's pot..

...id also see what action could be taken against the builder who installed
the trees (if this is possible) because they should be educated enough
to be able to look for this when installing the trees..they also should have
not left the trees in their containers..even if the containers are bio
degradable..or at least soaked it excessively and scored it...

just out of curiosity, what type of trees are they..

Old 09-29-2008, 06:38 PM

270 posts, read 1,107,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by si33 View Post
...unfortunately, the only solution to this problem may be replacement of the trees.

...if you,and any of your neighbors who are concerned,are determined to save any of the remaining trees which are still healthy,..

...id also see what action could be taken against the builder who installed
the trees

... just out of curiosity, what type of trees are they..
I hope there are things we, the residents, could do to at least save some trees. We are having a meeting among the residents and I would surely suggest to give it a try. There is a law suit against the builder now. But I know very little info about it. As for types of trees, I am clueless. But I could post some pix so you could help me id them. Yes??

Old 09-30-2008, 11:21 AM

2,035 posts, read 5,027,147 times
..that would be perfect..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden