U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 09:22 AM

7,363 posts, read 7,100,847 times
could be moles , molecrickets or do you have gophers ? not sure if texas has gophers but I know you have mole crickets and that could be causing the problem . I hope you find out what it is soon before it ruins your yard .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 09:39 PM

3 posts, read 20,717 times
they are earthworm droppings.
[url=http://icwdm.org/inspection/gardengrass.asp]Identifying the Cause of Garden/Grass Damage[/url]
see if the link to this picture is what you are seeing. Just looks like random little dirt mounds, or ant hills, but no insects are present. I have them in my yard and this photo looks just like them. I think mine are earthworm scat. Sounds nasty, but true. Hope this helps

Old 06-25-2010, 09:44 PM

3 posts, read 20,717 times
[url=http://icwdm.org/inspection/gardengrass.asp]Identifying the Cause of Garden/Grass Damage[/url]

Sounds like earthworm scat. view this link and see if it's what you are seeing. Nasty, I know, but I have them too and I believe this is what they are...hope this helps

Old 09-29-2011, 05:48 AM

2 posts, read 8,998 times
Unhappy I have random dirt piles in my yard too!

I first noticed one dirt pile a few weeks ago. Then, this week four more. Can anyone tell me what these are and if I need to do maintenance on this in my yard? I'm thinking that I have moles of some type.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:15 PM

157 posts, read 227,219 times
Is there a hole in the middle of the mud mountains? They sound like crawdads. Mudbugs are all over south east Texas.. harmless

Old 10-10-2011, 10:17 AM

11 posts, read 14,849 times
Up north (in Canada) where I live one year I threw out some fishing worms (nightcrawlers) that I didn't use. Thought it would be a great way to improve the health of my lawn. Now it seems that they've multiplied and flourished.

They come to the surface after a heavy rain, and then leave behind mounds. I have a very lumpy yard now.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:59 PM

1 posts, read 6,968 times
Hello sorry if I'm asking about something already answered I saw similar post about a problem I have wanted to see if I can get some input.
Any way I have found these dirt mounds on my grass and dirt sections of my yard they form overnight, I see some people go right to moles but there is no holes no tunnels the ground underneath is not disturb. I can not find where the dirt came from no missing dirt no holes dug just seems like some one dumped a pot of dirt and left it. The mounds of dirt vary from 2 to 3 inches round and high up to 6 to 12 inches round and high any one have an idea what causes this

Old 03-23-2012, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 6,060 times
I have had these for 25 years. The little mounds are everywhere. The dirt is reddish in color. It always occurs on the first hot day. Swarms of small black flying bugs come out and are gone. If it cools off and gets hot again., it happens again.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:29 PM

3,322 posts, read 2,907,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Definitely not moles in my area. Not sure about the other poster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Likely moles or voles.
That's what I was thinking, and they are smaller than moles.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:38 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,137,562 times
I have the crayfish chimneys that the above poster posted the picture of -- I'm in SW Ohio. Apparently they exist all over the US.

Their picture is excellent (HHeights77007) - if that's what your mound looks like - you have land crayfish (crawdads).

They are harmless and hunt your yard for insects/snakes/frogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden