U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:14 AM

4,085 posts, read 6,333,538 times
Default Random dirt piles popping up in lawn

I've been noticing small, random piles of loose dirt popping up around my lawn. They're noticeable because, although I water, the dirt is dry and compact (in S. Texas). I'll get down and dig in to see if it's ants, but there are none to be found. I've had a few fire ant piles pop up too, but I've quickly gotten rid of those.

They basically look like tiny (maybe 2 inches in diameter) ant piles, but have no ants or insects of any type.

Any thoughts on what they could be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 10:22 AM

19,074 posts, read 13,599,734 times
I have the same thing. Hmmm..I thought they were the beginning of new Fire ant nests. Maybe not. I'll have to go and and see if there are any ants in them. Infact I just mentioned this on the NC thread and was planning on treating them for Fire ants. I'll check back after I go out and see............

Old 10-01-2008, 10:24 AM

2,651 posts, read 7,103,456 times
Has it been raining? Ants dig down deeper in wet soil and that leaves new mounds on the surface.

"I've had a few fire ant piles pop up too, but I've quickly gotten rid of those."

Gotten *rid* of fire ants? I'll bet not. Destroying a fire ant mound does not get rid of them. Their mounds are connected, I've seen studies that underground they can go for half a mile. Even if you did treat your fire ant mounds, they quickly will return from neighboring properties.

Your mounds are probably ants.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:26 AM

I'm back and you are 100% correct---no ants. I have no clue what they are either. I have them all over my yard, even in the lawn. I'm anxious to hear what someone has to say about this. Good question!

Old 10-01-2008, 10:29 AM

I have a couple of Fire ant mounds and the ants are indeed in those mounds---these small mounds don't have any ants in them?? My friend has had some good success using Amdro on the Fire Ants. I will give it a try on the real ant mounds! If the little buggers do tunnel for miles that's fine by me as long as they tunnel out of my yard. I figure if I make it miserable enough for them they'll look for a better place to set up camp!

Old 10-01-2008, 10:30 AM

29,764 posts, read 18,081,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I'm back and you are 100% correct---no ants. I have no clue what they are either. I have them all over my yard, even in the lawn. I'm anxious to hear what someone has to say about this. Good question!
Could they be Moles? I'm not familiar with your part of the country and these but my neighbor has them.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:31 AM

It hasn't been raining, but I run my sprinklers a couple times a week. They may very well be offshoots of fireant mounds. I've just never experienced being able to dig down in there and not see any at all. I've poisoned the big ones I've seen and that helps, but you're right. I'll never get rid of them. Maybe just chase them off to the neighbor's yard

Old 10-01-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Could they be Moles? I'm not familiar with your part of the country and these but my neighbor has them.
Definitely not moles in my area. Not sure about the other poster.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:33 AM

Nope, not moles...to small of mounds at least in my yard. What I have is like maybe a 1/4 cup of fresh dirt in a small mound. It has been rainy here off and on but not a lot. Besides I have cats! Ohhhh--unless my cats have been slacking! Hmmm..but the mounds are really small. There are moles in this area---my cats have brought in a couple of really little ones in the spring.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:37 AM

3,368 posts, read 7,198,305 times
I had these all over my lawn, and I sprayed them with the hose - the loose dirt washed away and inside each mound was a little case, like a mini-wasp nest...no ants visible tho...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden