U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2008, 04:50 PM

13,768 posts, read 36,085,004 times

Advertisements

I have a huge african violet, that has smaller plant attached, think one big plant. I want to separate it but I am not sure do I just plant the new smaller one in soil? I thought I read somewhere the separated plant won't have roots.

Anyone ever done this before?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 09:56 AM

37,751 posts, read 67,376,319 times
Use a very sharp knife and cut the side shoot from the main plant. You can sprout the shoot either in potting soil (preferable) or in water until it roots.

The reason rooting in water isn't preferred is because the roots will be brittle. It does work, though. Best if you use an opaque container, otherwise you'll grow all kinds of other alage-ish stuff in addition to the violet.

It's best to have at least three or four leaves on the shoot before you cut it off, if you want to propagate the shoot. If you want to just cut it off and pitch it, you can do that any time, but you also can grow new plants from leaves. Just cut the leaf about 2/3 of the way down from the top, discard the stem end, and plant the leaf in soil. Keep it well-watered, and new shoots will sprout from the leaf. Eventually the parent leaf will wither, and you can pot up your new plant.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:13 AM

13,768 posts, read 36,085,004 times
Thank you so much.. I am scared to try this but I know I have to do something. I have finally gotten my violets to grow and bloom after many years of trying.

So when I do this I should keep the soil wetter than normal? I should put it in a small pot, like they are sold in the stores right?

Old 10-07-2008, 08:41 AM

37,751 posts, read 67,376,319 times
Keep the soil moist, but not dripping wet. Probably the smaller the pot the better, too; two or three inches in diameter should be sufficient.

Whatever you do, cutting off the shoot won't hurt the parent plant.

Good luck!

Old 10-07-2008, 12:55 PM

1,741 posts, read 6,080,664 times
Speaking of being afraid.. I have an AF that I have had for many years. Now this violet bloomed continously and was beautfiul with huge flowers but the long neck really bothered me. I read online how you could basically decapitate it and grow roots from the neck so I did it and it worked! All that to say don't be afraid. Sometimes taking a chance (if done correctly) can have many benefits. Good luck to you!

Old 10-07-2008, 02:28 PM

8,413 posts, read 37,583,386 times
I do this with razors. Fresh from the pack. I dip the razor in alcohol and wash my hands before doing it too. Just incase or bacteria or fungus. Dry razor with air and slice.

How to get your violets strong and blooming:
-let the soil completely dry out between waterings.
-only use filtered (brita) water that has set out over 24 hours open air to dechlorinate
- use warm water to water - (not hot, not cold - shocks the roots)
-plants need food. Once the soil is depleted water with mir. grow diluted houseplant version 1x a week or whenever leaves are pale. Do not over do. Better to underfeed than overfeed. My violets get a lot deeper in bloom colors when I feed them.
-blooms - 12 hours light| 12 hours dark (complete darkness)

I repot stems by soaking the cut off in water (filtered/warm) till I see roothairs.
I put mir. grow in the water too BUT i dilute it by half the houseplant direction. Its very little in amt. barely blue. After I get some roots I put it in a pot with mir. grow extended release soil formula. It has food in the soil in little pellets.

Good luck!

Old 10-21-2008, 11:44 PM

743 posts, read 2,113,361 times
I have repotted my AV going on four time now. I started with one, split to two now I have to split to four. They are going out of control. I bought the miracle gro plant food sticks that you put in the soil and it slow releases. Well I can say, try it!!! my flowers are a bright vibrant purple and plentiful also the plant itself just keeps growing. I also don't keep them in direct sunlight but filtered light in my office. I had them in direct and it just didn't work.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,970 times
I have one (twins) AV that I didn't realize was actually two plants on one crown. I didn't split it because both plants were so beautiful, each symetrical and in almost constant bloom. These plants are now way too big and both are trying to trail. I have to split them, as they are too large. Is there safe way I can split these two full grown plants(twins)?
Thank you, J
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden