U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2008, 11:13 AM

11 posts, read 87,966 times

Advertisements

I am new to the region, and just moved into our new house (yes I was the 1 buyer for September :-). However I am used to condo living (no lawn) and definitely not used to St. Augustines grass and year long warm weather. So now that I have to take care of a lawn year round, I could use some tips/advice on treatment etc. I can handle the mower and trimming portions :-) But do people regularly treat for weeds bugs, etc around here? If so, what do you use, and how does it effect the lawn, etc...

Thanks for some input!

-Todd
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 02:43 PM

13,768 posts, read 35,955,272 times
Moved thread so you can get some advice from some experts..

Old 10-10-2008, 04:02 PM

6,864 posts, read 10,723,674 times
St Aug grass requires a lot of water. Stressed grass blades will wilt/curl and show a blue hue. It propagates itself with runners. If you have bare spots, you can speed up the fill in time with plugs. An old St Aug lawn will develop thick thatch. Make sure lawn mower has a sharp blade so that blade will cut grass blade. Dull blade will rip grass blade.
If you see yellowing, use fertilizer with 2% iron.
Enemy #1 of St Aug is chinch bugs. Evidence will show as a 6 inch dead grass spot. If you don't kill them, the spot will be 6 feet in a few days. The two effective chemicals to kill them have been banned. I forget the name of the less effective replacement.

Old 10-15-2008, 05:34 PM

3,702 posts, read 17,238,701 times
The trick to keeping a healthy St Augustine lawn is maintenance. St Augustine goes dormant in the cooler months (even in the south) and you can pretty much leave it alone until early spring. In early spring give it a good fertilizer (no weed & feed) and then watch it grow. Do not apply fertilizer once it gets too hot as it may burn the lawn but another dose in the early fall isn't bad either. It will need weekly watering (at least 1 inch per week). You need to set your mower deck high and mow about every other week in the spring and weekly in the summer. I use the bag on my mower but leave it off in the early spring and fall. The reason for the high setting is that you want the crown growth to pretty much equal the root growth for a healthy plant. Treat if you get chinch bugs or the fungus (common of you overwater) that you can get. If you have any dead spots, be sure to rake out all the thatch and yellowed grass then head some runners in the direction of the bald spot. If you maintain your lawn right, you will not have any weeds as the St Augustine will choke out any opponents. If you do get weeds, removing them by hand is the most efficient (and final)way to handle them, sometimes it takes a little patience though.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:03 PM

48,507 posts, read 90,393,262 times
If you are in the south then you might want to think weekly mowing but not too short which many do. In the hotter months if you cut it before its too long you can mulch as it high in water content.Other than that apply fertilzer in the spring and fall. Often in the spring it also best to treat for weeds f you have a poroblem over the winter when doramnt. If you fertilize every year it is also good to spread granule lime pellets during the winter time so they slowly disolve and prevent the soil from being too hgih PH.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:24 PM

1 posts, read 48,155 times
What the heck kind of self propelled mower works best for cutting St Agustine grass. I have my front wheel drive Poulan Pro mower set as high as it goes, ( I even modified it so I could set it higher). But, I still have to struggle to push the mower thru this grass. I enjoy cutting my own grass and will not hire someone to do it as long as I'm able.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:30 AM

32,524 posts, read 33,813,367 times
I had St. Augustine grass in Southern California and I loved it. Since we had water restrictions I watered it very early in the morning and gave it 1 maybe 2 inches a week. We did put Weed and Feed on it with no problems. Once a year certain spots (always the same places) got buggy so we used to spray for bugs and fill it in with the fill-a-spot grass seed. No problems mowing. For some reason my friends were always tremendously impressed that we had St. Augustine.

The worst part of the lawn was that it attracted every flea in town. We sprayed with malathion once a year.

I have to admit that we weren't the type to worry and fuss over a lawn. If it was green and looked healthy, that was our goal.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 19,333 times
some areas turning brown...bugs ?

Old 07-21-2014, 02:23 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,318,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddncst8 View Post
I am new to the region, and just moved into our new house (yes I was the 1 buyer for September :-). However I am used to condo living (no lawn) and definitely not used to St. Augustines grass and year long warm weather. So now that I have to take care of a lawn year round, I could use some tips/advice on treatment etc. I can handle the mower and trimming portions :-) But do people regularly treat for weeds bugs, etc around here? If so, what do you use, and how does it effect the lawn, etc...

Thanks for some input!

-Todd
You will probably think that I'm crazy, but the trick to a nice, green, happy St. Augustine lawn is to NEVER DO ANYTHING TO IT.

When it gets dry in the summer, let it go dormant. Don't water it.

If you get broadleaf weeds, mow 'em down.

If you get perennial weeds like Dallis Grass, pull 'em.

If you get fire ant mounds, spray 'em to the ground with the hose.

Never bag your clippings.

Topdress your yard to address specific soil problems; you don't need to inject anything or re-sod.

Note that if you're listing your house and you want a nice, green lawn that looks great RIGHT AWAY, then you'll want to be watering the heck out of it and may want to dump some kind of commercial fertilizer on it and there ARE some things that will require action on your part to remediate in an acceptable timeframe, but what I'm talking about will yield a yard of St. Augustine that is getting easier and easier and looking better and better every year after about four or five seasons and there will be times when your yard doesn't look great... But one day someone who just burned his grass with Scott's turfbuilder and now just has a bunch of weeds and bermuda will ask "Hey man, your lawn looks great. Do you mind if I ask what you do to it?" and you'll get to say "Nothing."

Old 04-01-2017, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,286 times
southern california, particulary los angeles, st augustine fertilizer, where do I purchase it. It's banned in los angeles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden