Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 07:58 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,057,165 times

Advertisements

that is a beautiful Hosta in the pic!!

I love Hostas. I need to divide mine desperately I know they are already going dormant cause we have gotten below freezing several nights here where I live. Is it too late to divide them and should I wait till spring?

I think dividing plants and planting trees/shrubs is the best in the fall also...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 10:32 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,776,274 times
I - personally would wait til spring... about the time you see the 'eyes' peeking thru the ground.

Though i do know a lady in zone 4 who is still planting [from a 50% off sale] ... so - ya never know.

I would just hate for it to be too cold, and you lose them.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:14 PM

91 posts, read 294,871 times
tcs1366...No I hadn't heard of this place. But I will try to find out address and take a trip there this spring or summer . Have you been to the FLOWER FACTORY in Madison, Wisconsin? They have at least 3 to 4 large green houses of nothing but Hosta. I always leave with a wagon full. I just cannot resist picking more up . Then I wonder the yard looking for a place to plant them. This last summer I was pretty good I only added 4 more. You could spend half a day if not an entire day at the flower factory. They have any type of plants you could imange . I heard of the VIRUS just this summer. I was so worried that mine might have it. Checked and so far all looked good. Is your Hostas name "Foxfire Northen Sunray"? When and where did you buy it? I have one called the " American Beauty " looks simular. And "Undulata" ( Suji Giboshi) that looks simular also. Does the foliage go through a color metamorphosis of sorts? Where the white-centered leaves begin turning green or mottled green shortly after flowering. I noticed mostof the ones I have do but I have found some in the garden where the center keeps it crisp white look.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:03 AM

I have a few very small undulata, which actually looks more like Fire and Ice.

Interesting thing about this Northern Sunray. This past summer i researched it a bit, and could find no information ... I did find a very small description of "Northern Sunray" but the descriptions did not match.

So i emailed Steve at FoxFire, where I got it ... and he told me the story on how HE got it.

In the Spring and most of the summer it is an absolutely stunning plant ... then the colors change to more green, and it is very susceptible to slugs, and it looks very sad.

Check out Welcome to Foxfire Botanical Gardens -- i brought it up because it's more your neck of the woods.

and -- no i have not been to the Flower Factory yet. There are a group, from another site I'm on, that has a Round-Up [big get togther] every year, which - when it's held in Madison, they go to the Flower Factory. It is now something I will have to put on my "to do" list.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:15 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I wish I had a few more shady spots in my yard so I can plant more hosta. Maybe I should plant a few trees first ...

Old 11-13-2008, 07:18 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,518,485 times
Love the hosta. I have one like that that was in a pot. It was doing poorly and I found out it was severely pot bound. Just planted it in the yard this fall.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:22 AM

Here is my 2 yr old Fire & Ice. It is a very slow grower, but very thick substance... so it rarely get "eaten". Both of these are from FoxFire Gardens.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:49 PM

"Fire and Ice " Isn't that a beautiful Hosta. It is so slow to grow for me. Have had mine since 2003 and its only a bit larger than yours. Independance, Eternal Flame,and Thunderbolt also resemble the Fire and Ice. Except they have green spotting on the white of the leaves. I see your status states "busy cleaning and packing seeds", are these seeds from your Hosta or other plants? I collect my seeds every year. First tried starting them indoors in late March. I had at least 90 pots and only got 3 that made it. They were looking pretty sick, I set the pots outside and thought live or die. From that point on they took off. Now in the spring I just throw the seeds out in the Hostas and let them go. I have more baby Hosta than I know what to do with and no room for them I transplant them and tuck under others all over the place. Its fun to see what develops. Oh! I must mention "Orange Marmalade" What a Hosta. Only one that I've seen that has a orange center early season. Latter on turns cream to off white center.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:38 PM

I do collect a few hosta seeds... but have only attempted to sow them last winter. I do a lot of winter sowing.... that is mostly what all the seeds are for... i get into seed trading and swapping. [im in the middle of a huge swap where i'll give a way a lot of my seeds... espiecially to those who lost everything in those hurricanes.

last year i WS'ed seeds from Frosted Jade and Sagae ... i have about 6 lil babies that are now dormant in a bed. if they survive, great... but i wont lose any sleep if they dont.

I will be trying more seeds this winter.

Do you have a favorite hosta supplier?

I have an order coming from Hostas Direct in MN. quite excited about that order.
I've got Naylor Creeks catalog ... though most the beauties are quite costly.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:37 PM

Funny you should mention Naylor Creek. 1. Naylor Creek i have gotten quite a few through them. (Online web site) It is the only place that sends a full grown section from a mature plant. The rest of the places I delt with, send plants that are only about 1 year old. So needless to say, it takes quite awhile to get to full size. I have bought from e-bay ( paid dearly). 2. Rainbows End in Platville, Wisconsin. (Has a web site also ) his again are small but nice to deal with. 3.Sargent's Nursary in Redwing,Mn ( not a very large selection but I can usually find something.) Baures in LaCrescent,Mn ( again not a very large selection but can find something.) Reeds Creek Nursary in Viroqua, Wis ( carry about the same amount as the ones above.) Reeds Tree and Hosta Farm in rural Sparta, Wis .. very reasonable and med. size. Beautiful gardens you can walk through. No on line site and no catalog. I did not number this one because the only way you could purchase from them would be in person. 3. Flower Factory Madison,Wis average price / selection is out of this world. Has at least 3 to 4 of the largest green houses I have ever seen loaded of nothing but Hosta. I don't think they have a site on line but, do put out a catalog. Then there is Jungs Nursary in Madison,Wi . Down in Iowa, there is a man that has a web site , he sells Hosta also.( Bob Axmier) He puts pictures out for the Hosta Library, notice his name under some of the pictures. He does a lot of work on the site. In Galesvile, Wis another nursary small selection. This is to name a few. My husband takes me all over to buy Hosta. We make it a mini vacation go from Nursary to Nursary. We were going to visit Naylor Creek Nursary this last spring only to find out I waited to long ... 2008 they stopped giving tours . Only by appointment. When we hit the road we have no serious plans and I do not want to be held to a schdule. Although the Flower Factory has a Stoughton address, they are located 1 1/2 miles from Oregon,Wi. It is a 20 minute country drive from Madison,Wi. Telephone #608-873-8329 . If you get on their mailing list they send out a catalog each year. NO PICTURES only price and discription. They boast of being the Midwest's largest selection of perennials,hostas, and ornamental grasses. If you ever visit allow yourself several hours to see this place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden