Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 06:35 PM

62 posts, read 285,628 times

Advertisements

Has anyone in Miami had any success growing vegetables in their backyard?
I ask because, I notice that allot of the "regular" plants I plant, always seem to end up attacked by slugs, or something eats holes in the leaves, or else neighbor cats tromp thru them.

Would it be allot of work (chemicals?) to grow some radishes, tomatoes, green beans, beets,carrots, peppers, lettuce and anything else that might work ?

I have too much yard space, and I often consider growing a few vegetables.
Can it be done without having to build a structure that's screened in to protect them?
Are allot of chemicals required to kill pests ?
I don't want to have to build a screened in structure to grow them in.
I could grow them in pots, I suppose.
Anyone who doesn't have a farm, been successful growing a few veggies for personal use in their yard and which veggies were the most successful.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 06:37 PM

I just found this posted online; it's too far for me to travel to but it might be useful to someone else.
Miami-Dade’s Cooperative Extension Division is offering a how-to class on vegetable gardening on Saturday, November 1st. The class is from 10:00am to 12:00pm at the Deering Estate (16701 SW 72nd Ave.) for just $20 (checks only). The class will provide publications and teach techniques, including raised-bed gardening and organic pest management. For such a reasonable cost, why not learn more? Call 305-248-3311 for class registration.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:24 PM

23,533 posts, read 69,959,736 times
We attempted to grow some stuff in the south Florida area, but the pests are simply amazing, the soil too sandy and loaded with nematodes. Our best success was with trees. Oranges, grapefruit, mango, bananas worked well. Papaya worked for one year until the bugs found them. Passionfruit vines worked great with proper soil amendments. Squash? fuggedaboudit. Peas? Too hot. Lettuce? Bolts too quickly.

Malabar spinach and everglades tomatoes did quite well, but we planted them in Rubbermaid containers made to emulate earthboxes. That way we controlled the moisture level in the potting soil, kept some pests away, and were able to place them on benches for easy no-bend care. DW is a Master Gardener and she came to the conclusion that south Florida gardening is an entirely different type of gardening than most other places.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:08 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,324,846 times
I have Everglades tomato plant which is growing great. I planted few seeds in 10 gallon bucket with holes drilled on bottom and Scotts garden soil.

Its in sunny area of my yard against a wall . I recently added a tomato screen and very happy with the way its growing on it.

I have also planted peppers in 5 gallon flower pot with holes drilled on bottom and though they are only few inches big are also growing great .
The "soil" in my yard is close to worthless and surprised bushes and grass grow because its mostly sand and pebbles.

However I have yet to get fruit/veg from either yet lol but hope to.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:55 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,410,987 times
I don't live in Miami....but, a "bit up the road".
I always grew my own veggies, and had the same dilemma you are experiencing.
However....here are some good pointers I have learned along the way.

*Grow veggies in large potted containers, if need be, if desired and if possible.
I have found, that my tomatoes grow so much better in a more controlled area and proper soil then they ever would in my yard, due to the soil we have here in Florida.

*Stay away from chemicals you use on your veggies. Any and everything you use on them, eventually you will ingest due to eating. Stick with biological and "green" natural methods instead. (Like a beer filled lid, for example, for those pesky slugs.)
Lot's and lot's of info pertaining to the "green" and natural method and approach of pest control can be found on the Internet.

*There are also natural approaches to keep the neighbors cat, or other animals out of your yard.....without hurting or harming them. Search the Internet.

Right now I have my tomatoes, lettuce and all sorts of herbs growing in large containers on my screened-in back porch.
For me to treat and to enrich the soil I have here (which is nothing but fill-dirt and lot's of sour (due to the salt) sand seemed to costly to approach.
So, the containers seemed like the way for me to go, taking care of each and every individual plant/ veggie/ herb and their individual needs.

They do very, very well, and I have excellent results so far.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:37 AM

11,016 posts, read 17,400,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats_pawn View Post
Has anyone in Miami had any success growing vegetables in their backyard?
I ask because, I notice that allot of the "regular" plants I plant, always seem to end up attacked by slugs, or something eats holes in the leaves, or else neighbor cats tromp thru them.

Would it be allot of work (chemicals?) to grow some radishes, tomatoes, green beans, beets,carrots, peppers, lettuce and anything else that might work ?

I have too much yard space, and I often consider growing a few vegetables.
Can it be done without having to build a structure that's screened in to protect them?
Are allot of chemicals required to kill pests ?
I don't want to have to build a screened in structure to grow them in.
I could grow them in pots, I suppose.
Anyone who doesn't have a farm, been successful growing a few veggies for personal use in their yard and which veggies were the most successful.?
Even if you don't plant a garden but want to get rid of the slugs, you can buy pellets to put out that will kill them. But put a little beer in a jar lid and set it out for them. They'll go to it quicker than a frat house would! lol Kills them quick!

Old 10-25-2008, 04:48 PM

thanks.
I read about people using small parts of their yard to grow veggies,
and I always wanted to try.
My track record for growing plants has been hit or miss.
[if I don't care, it grows; if I really want something to thrive, it dies]

I did not realize it was because of Florida soil & pests; I had just
assumed I was not a good gardener.

I really wanted to try many types of vegetable plants, but maybe
I'll try a few things at a time in containers.

I found this article online which gives some useful information about growing vegetables in Florida, but it mentions soil preparation, adjusting soil PH, rotating crops,composting for fertilizer, disease control, etc..
i.e. it's a little more work than just dropping some seeds and watering them. It did seem to suggest it could be done & it did offer allot of good information, if you want to do allot of work.

Florida Vegetable Gardening Guide

thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Even if you don't plant a garden but want to get rid of the slugs, you can buy pellets to put out that will kill them. But put a little beer in a jar lid and set it out for them. They'll go to it quicker than a frat house would! lol Kills them quick!

Old 10-25-2008, 07:21 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,660,876 times
Also in Miami backyards tend to be small. Fitting because most Miami residents are too lazy for yard work!

Old 10-28-2008, 02:03 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,226,248 times
It's possible to grow plants here but it's very hard to do so. During these tough economic times, however, it can definitely pay off. I've grown some stuff myself, but you have to care for them very much and watch out for those damn bugs.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:32 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,324,846 times
My Everglades tomato plant which has grown leaps and bounds has given me 4 - 1 inch tomatoes this week.

They were still green but I didnt want to risk anything eating them thus picked them for a salad. They werent bad granted waiting till red would have been better but the plant is moving along nicely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden