U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-15-2008, 03:32 PM

2,339 posts, read 6,097,918 times

Advertisements

I want to plant 2 trees on the northern exposed side of my house. This side of my house is about 35 feet long, and my yard width slightly varies from just 8 feet from house-to-fence, to about 12 feet house-to-fence.

I need a couple of trees that will grow up and not out. In other words, narrow and not wide--due to my neighbors' property line so nearby. Also, I don't want the trees to crowd and grow into my house so much.

I was thinking birch, perhaps? I live in Stamford, CT--so we do have 4 seasons, and the winters aren't mild, but not terribly cold either.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 04:18 PM

6,981 posts, read 16,635,585 times
Is this a one story or two story house? The reason I asked is that where there is such a narrow bit of yard, sometimes a trellis with an evergreen vine on it works very well. It just depends on how that side of the house looks. But on a two story house...nope, doesn't work!!

Old 10-16-2008, 10:43 AM

I own a 2 story "cape-cod" style house. I'm strongly leaning towards 2 birch trees--although we've thought about bamboo, but I don't necessarily want a long bamboo "screen."

Old 10-16-2008, 11:18 AM

9,049 posts, read 16,475,389 times
What about a fastigiate Ginkgo? They are slower growing, but they are stronger wooded than a birch.

Ginkgo biloba 'Fastigiata' habit: UIPLANTS

They only thing I would worry about is too much shade (north side of house is usually shaded). If it's pretty shady, you may need an understory type tree like dogwood or Hophornbeam (Ostrya).

Old 10-16-2008, 08:07 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,501,897 times
I do not know if Corkscrew willow ( Salix matsudana) would work in your climate zone or not. It is a deciduous collummnar tree of medium height and fast growth. It sometimes called dragons claw willow because of the 4 inch long curved leaves. The branches are very interesting visually during the winter. I planted one in a clients yard about three years ago and it was about six feet tall then and now it is about 30 feet tall and maybe six feet across of growth. You can harvest some of the outside branches to thin the tree out and get some nice walking sticks too.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:56 PM

19,789 posts, read 15,205,993 times
I get real nervous when someone plants a tree close to a house... The roots can do bad things to a foundation.

Shrubs would be ok. Perhap an arvorite would be OK... Their root system should not cause foundation issues.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:06 PM

22,065 posts, read 40,041,054 times
I would suggest a weeping cherry tree the roots dont spread out nor do the tree limbs
http://www.greenhouseplants.com/imag...gcherry-lg.gif

Old 10-17-2008, 12:48 AM

858 posts, read 1,533,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I would suggest a weeping cherry tree the roots dont spread out nor do the tree limbs
Nice call. A weeping cherry we like is Prunus X Snozofoam, Snow Fountains weeping cherry. Most won't get more than 15 feet tall x 12 feet wide and they're pretty commonly available. These are grafted and if you're diligent, you can find one that will have a smaller or larger expected size, depending on the graft.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Thanks--that does sound like an excellent option...I may pursue that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden