U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 06:28 PM

629 posts, read 2,183,727 times
Default Palm Tree Orange Fruit Produces Odor

Hi,

I went to my back lawn and realized that there is a very bad smell coming from somewhere. I noticed that there were hundreds and hundreds of small orange fruits on the ground under the Palm tree. Those fruits were producing the stink and different kinds of insects were over it.

Are those anyway good for the environment/garden.

Should I remove them ASAP! I will need to hire someone to do that since I don't want to mess with tiny insects.

Here is a picture I got from somewhere:

Picture002.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 04:09 PM

6,876 posts, read 11,645,061 times
I don't know what kind of palm you have, we have some that drop fruit and it rots and smells like rotten fruit.

If you can, just rake it into a pile and scoop it into a bucket with a shovel. Or hire someone to do it for you. Then you can either compost it or throw it away. No big deal.

It's better for the environment to compost stuff like that. If you want to know how to do that, dm me and I'll send you a how to link. Otherwise, don't sweat it.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:12 PM

666 posts, read 1,549,526 times
a lot of palms trees, like the date palm, will drop fruit every year.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:31 PM

6,948 posts, read 15,934,590 times
I think, but not sure, that you have a Cocus or Butia Palm. They are also known as the Pindo or Jelly Palm.

I have a recipe for the Cocus Palm Jelly that I clipped from our paper. I never tried it.

When we were kids, we used to nibble of the ripe fruit before it fell and fermented. I thought it tasted like a very, very, very sour pineapple. I imagine a jelly would be also tart unless it was loaded with sugar.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:36 PM

Look on this link....it's down the page a little. Does yours look like this one? The article mentions jelly too.

Catalog

Old 10-21-2008, 07:26 AM

629 posts, read 2,183,727 times
Hi Padgett2,

I think mine looks like:

Jelly or Pindo Palm or Cocus or Wine Palm
Scientific name: Butia Capitata

But is is much taller. The yellow fruits fell on the ground and all the insects were over it. My husband cleaned it up with a shoval. The smell was very bad!!!

The problem is that there are many more fruits hanging on the tree waiting to be dropped. Currently they are in green color. My husband was thinking that he should cut does the fruit lump before they start falling on the ground.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:43 AM

The little bugs are most likely fruit flies. You will find them any where fruit is rotting and fermenting.

I am pretty sure that you can cut off the fruit branches without harming the tree. Either that or clean up under it everyday. It doesn't take long for the berries to start to rot. And when they do, the little flies will soon be there too.

By the size, I'm betting it's an old tree. Some palms grow slowly as compared to other types of trees/shrubs.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:57 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,163,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
Hi,

I went to my back lawn and realized that there is a very bad smell coming from somewhere. I noticed that there were hundreds and hundreds of small orange fruits on the ground under the Palm tree. Those fruits were producing the stink and different kinds of insects were over it.

Are those anyway good for the environment/garden.

Should I remove them ASAP! I will need to hire someone to do that since I don't want to mess with tiny insects.

Here is a picture I got from somewhere:

Picture002.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Dont worry. Those are Queen palm seeds. I have those to. Theres nothing wrong with them. Wikipedia says there edable, but I wouldnt try it. Leave them there, you might get baby palm trees before you no it.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:40 PM

396 posts, read 444,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
Hi Padgett2,

I think mine looks like:

Jelly or Pindo Palm or Cocus or Wine Palm
Scientific name: Butia Capitata

But is is much taller. The yellow fruits fell on the ground and all the insects were over it. My husband cleaned it up with a shoval. The smell was very bad!!!

The problem is that there are many more fruits hanging on the tree waiting to be dropped. Currently they are in green color. My husband was thinking that he should cut does the fruit lump before they start falling on the ground.
Without seeing the actual tree itself.....

I am almost certain that what you have is a Butia Capitata: The Jelly Palm / Pindo Palm.

Each tree can produce 50 plus pounds of fruit per season. The pindo fruit are very tasty, and you can make Jelly out of them as well (hence the name jelly plam) however, if that is not your thing it is recommended that you simply remove the flower/ fruit stalks before they mature. It CAN be a nusicance if you are not harveting the fruit, due to the massive quantities a single tree can produce. They are beautiful trees, and extremely cold tolerant, and I would highly recommend you keep the trees.

Im going to post two pics. One of the queen palm, and one of the jelly palm. Can you tell us which one of the two you have?

QUEEN PALMS (Syagrus romanzoffiana)
http://www.lllandscapedesigns.net/images/new_plants/queen_palm.jpg (broken link)

Jelly Palm (Butia Capitata)

So which one is the one you have in your yard?

Last edited by United_Caps_Skins_Fan; 03-04-2009 at 07:55 PM..

Old 03-20-2011, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 16,705 times
i also have this same problem, but the only problem i have is that our baby pig loves to chew on them then brings the nut into the house which i have almost broken my ankel on a million times, im not sure if these are poisionus for him to eat or if they will give him a sore belly can any one help?.
there is not much point in cleaning them up as hundreds are dropped every day and i have noticed two bats come every night to feed on the fruit, most of the time they fight for the fruit even tho there is 2 massive bunches of fruit (pretty annoying at 4am) and our pig used to be scared of the bats till he realised that they drop the fruits for him to eat! does anyone know why for the last 3 years we have only had a few fruits on the tree but this year its out of control!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden