Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2008, 06:21 AM

3,979 posts, read 6,543,093 times

Advertisements

Hi - this is our first fall with an irrigation system (we are in CT) and they just came out to shut it down and blow the air through the system so I think that parts all set. I have two questions:

1 - a landscaper told me I should wrap my backflow valve with a rag to keep it from potentially cracking over the winter. Is this true? I don't see keeping a wet rag over the valve all winter as being very good for the system and I'm thinking that most of the water should have been blown out of the system so would that really happen? I know the valves are pretty expensive so I don't want to risk ruining it.

2 - we have a rain sensor. Should I just unscrew it from the deck and bring that in for the winter months? Seems it would take unneccessary wear and tear with freezing rain, snow, etc over the winter months or just leave it as is?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 07:49 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,760,424 times
My DH blows our system himself... and he wraps the end, but it looks more like plastic than a rag... but i think it has more to do with bugs [and or moisture] coming in... Honestly - i'm not sure... but everyone in the subdivision, who had a system, does wrap the ends. [we are the only ones who winterizes ourselves.]

and -- no you can leave the sensor outside.... ours has been out there 6 winters now - and all is well.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:14 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,198,475 times
I would definitely wrap the backflow valve. Is it in an exposed area or is it under your roof line? You might try wrapping it with a towel and then placing a plastic box over the top of it, that way the towel doesn't get wet. Ours is protected up against the side of our house so we're ok with a towel on it. I remember our sprinkler guy saying he was in the process of making a box to sell that would do the trick. We never looked into it because we didn't feel it was necessary for our situation. I think the guy wanted something like $50 dollars which I thought was spendy. You could go to a store and buy one of those plastic storage containers for cheaper than that. Hope that helps.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:20 AM

Thanks for the info! Ours is pretty exposed. Our house has no overhangs at all at its actually on the east side which gets the least "heat" in the winter months. I guess I will try to configure something that will work in that area! Thanks

Old 11-06-2008, 10:52 AM

Just wanted to thank those who replied again. I ended up wrapping the valve and using one of those smaller plastic boxes to cover the top of the whole thing. I drilled some holes in the side of the plastic box and was able to secure it with some twine. Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden