Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 05:43 PM

217 posts, read 416,884 times

Advertisements

hi, i love rodadendrums, but they don't like me.. I feed them only about once a year with miracle grow but it grows sparser every year and i lost one this year..what am i doing wrong. had them planted in different areas of the garden.. soil seems fine and rich..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 06:05 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
Where are you? What's the PH of your soil?

Rhododendrons like a cool moist climate and an acid PH. They do best in partial shade.

If the soil PH is too high, the climate too hot or cold or dry, they will not thrive.

They do well on the west coast, north of southern California. I believe they also grow well on the east coast in areas not too hot or cold. They grow poorly in between.

Fertilizer will not make them happy in a place they do not like.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:29 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,158,279 times
They grow wild here in NC above 900 feet or so. Usually in acidic soil with very little direct sunlight.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:54 PM

2,035 posts, read 5,036,028 times
....While its absolutely true that all rhods.,as well as most azaleas must have some degree of acidic,rich soil...the degree of how acidic..and the degree of sun tolerance can vary among different cultivar types..

..A great example,..out here in central calif. many azaleas and rhododendrons have a tough time in our heavy clay soil..yet some like our native azalea,aren't overly bothered by it as long as its not too heavy...and this great plant fails miserably back east where many others thrive...

..Another example are the exbury/knap hill group of azaleas...they also can do well out here,even in full sun in acouple sunset zones,and aren't as picky about soil conditions..

..There are also some groups of azaleas which were developed to grow in the hot and humid souteast,down to central fla. Still, there is the Viryea group of rhododendrons which cannot stand temps. much below 30
degrees...
..My best advise is to evaluate your soil,not just for the PH content but also for drainage..which can also contribute to failure with many of these plants...and when using a fertilizer..always use one designed for acid loving plants,if you aren't already.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:13 AM

91 posts, read 294,871 times
I had one planted under a fiberglass overhang. The rain water drained there also. That bush was lush,full and beautiful. I have never seen one as full. Others that I have seen around here seem to lose the bottom leaves with only leaves near the top portion of the bush. So I figure they need a lot of water and only bright filtered light.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:25 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
My rhodie in PA became much happier after I started trimming it - not exactly sure why - trimming/pruning was the only extra attention I gave it. It was there when we bought our house and looked quite bedraggled. For the first couple of years I trimmed at any time of the year rather than properly just after bloom, and I'd frequently pull off the yukky-looking leaves whenever they appeared. It was sheltered on its west side by the above-ground pool deck. The top of the bush received sun all day long, but because of the decking, its base got light up until mid afternoon and then was shaded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden