U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-09-2008, 09:30 AM

32 posts, read 324,660 times

Advertisements

I dunno what I can grow on a porch. I live in south Fla in a condo so its rarely ever cold to kill the plants but I can't actually plant in the yard. I'm not a big pepper eater so those are out. I love to cook though.. Any suggestions at all I'm lost!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 06:30 AM

2,981 posts, read 7,690,983 times
The list of plants growable on a FL porch is endless -- that's probably why you've not had a response to your question!

Vegetables? Flowers? Trees? what's your preference to narrow down the list?

Old 11-14-2008, 08:43 AM

13,327 posts, read 30,288,691 times
North Florida here.
I'm growing citrus in pots: Meyer lemons and Key limes.
I also have basil, purple sage, parsley, rosemary trimmed like a tree, cat thyme (which attracts my own cat as well as neighbor kitties).
I have seasonal plants: lavender mums right now, also pots of white and purple pansies with dusty miller and purple kale.
I have ferns, too, but it gets too sunny for them in the summer.
Maybe you could grow some potted tomatoes?

Old 11-14-2008, 09:49 AM

17,192 posts, read 20,203,102 times
Gosh, I'm thinking, What can't you grow? I would try citrus and herbs, as Bluewillow said, assuming you're on the sunny side of your building. If not, you might get away with some things that like the shade.
Go to a couple of your local garden centers and pick their brains. Plant people love to talk about plants and make suggestions.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:09 AM

11,748 posts, read 27,321,510 times
Heh. When we lived there, that funky five leaved plant for funny cigarettes seemed to be the most popular one for condo growers.

Herbs and Malabar spinach are probably the easiest. Google "earth boxes."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden