Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 08:21 PM

75 posts, read 289,960 times

Advertisements

It would be squirrels for me. I planted 75 tulip bulbs last year. Only 6 tulips came up this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 10:40 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,738,970 times
Mooseketeer try a super soaker with some cleaning amonia on the cat!

Old 05-08-2007, 10:49 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,286,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedOnLI View Post
I don't know what mine is, but I know what it DOES: Digs small holes all over my lawn, in planting beds, and seems to have a particular fondness for digging down among the roots of newly planted trees and shrubs. I never see the critter, only its handiwork. I doubt it's squirrels because I never see them digging here (and we're talking HUNDREDS of holes in the lawn, so it'd have to be entire battalions of squirrels for that) at any time during the day. So it must be something nocturnal. Holes are too small for chipmunk boltholes and in any case they aren't deep enough (about an inch); plus, I've never seen a chipmunk in our immediate area.

It's occurred to me that it could be either raccoon or possum: Both nocturnal, which would explain the appearance of new holes literally overnight. Perhaps the critter is digging for grubs (of which there are plenty, as I don't use chemicals).

In any case, this Mysterious Noctural Digging Critter is the #1 Pest in my garden. What's yours?
I used to have an armadilla that did that...man he could dig some DEEP holes...I caught him and moved him out to the country near a creek bed...poor thing, a face that only a Mother could love.

I had a problem with ants and the bed was in a place where it didn't matter when I poured bleach down the hole...I was a little exasperated at this point...

Last edited by Lisa_from_Debary; 05-08-2007 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: added sentence

Old 05-09-2007, 12:01 AM

744 posts, read 1,320,341 times
Default cats and gophers

Cats are the absolute worst.

New neighbors moved in five years ago, my beloved black lab had just passed away, and their cats kept coming in my yard and crapping in the garden. I asked them to keep their cats one. The woman was very nice but said how could she do that. I said, how about putting them on a leash? I don't care, just keep them out of my garden. They tried but - sans the leashes - the cats kept coming over and crapping in the garden. I was furious and wanted to get rid of the darned things, but ended up getting another dog, this time a short hair border collie mix. He's a cutie, and fortunately he doesn't like the cats any more than I do. A lot of the top of the garden went in the trash and I didn't plant any more veggies for 3 years.

A far second to cats are gophers. They are also hard to get rid off but at least don't destroy the soil. A "black hole" trap works well to get rid of them. If that doesn't work, chocolate laxative does. The caffeine and theobromide in chocolate is fatal to mammals (including humans but we're bigger). Toss a couple down the hole and cover the hole to protect it from pets.

Now I am starting to grow everything in cold frames, cinder blocks in a square or rectangle, with glass or plastic on the top. I've heard that framed glass from a sliding patio door makes a good top for cold frames. If anyone knows of a better material let me know, and also how these ideas work for you.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:09 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,286,293 times
I have cats and I LOVE them however my choice to have them should NEVER become someone elses problem...My cats are exclusively indoors, they do go out onto a screened in porch but thats it...

I am glad to live in a development that does not allow people to leave their animals to run free, they can be fined for it.

I used to have two neighbors who had dogs that came to my house, dug up my flower bed, the bigger one would steal things from my porch...I took them to the shelter after repeated pleas to keep them home were ignored...no kill shelters by the way.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:28 PM

63 posts, read 212,026 times
Angry Pesky thing, he is.

My worst pest is my husband with a tiller!

Old 05-13-2007, 12:57 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,775,589 times
Powdery mildew, ants and aphids...YUCK!!
MBG

Old 05-13-2007, 12:58 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,775,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO~orphan View Post
My worst pest is my husband with a tiller!

You are too funny!!
MBG

Old 05-18-2007, 02:55 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,590,355 times
The kids next door. It's amazing how much damage baseballs, soccer balls, basketballs, Frisbees and all the other junk they throw over the fences can do.

And, as usual, their parents are clueless. How many couples named Goofy and Dopey are there in the world? And why do they all move in next to us?

Old 05-20-2007, 09:23 PM

34 posts, read 160,233 times
Default Garden Pests

Slugs and Snails, or are they the same thing? I've heard of the beer trick, but frankly I'd rather save the beer for myself! Also, it's a pretty expensive solution if your garden is large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden