U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 06:39 PM

1,849 posts, read 4,601,456 times
Default Spring Bulbs

Are your spring bulbs coming up or blooming yet?

Mine seem to have come up a bit early. Daffodils are blooming,iris and bluebells are getting ready to bloom. it's raining so the blooms are getting all wet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 03:22 PM

43 posts, read 103,540 times
Yes, my bulbs were up about 2 inches and then pow... a big snowfall. I actually had snowdrops blooming, alas they are now covered with the white stuff, but I do hope they are surviving. I should be able to see them again in a couple days. One of my favorite things about living in the north is the anticipation of the fresh spring bulbs and their vibrant colors to a gray world.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:55 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,248,753 times
And the little Purple Hyacinths are out and they smell SO good.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:30 PM

212 posts, read 566,160 times
I just noticed today that my tulips and daffodils are just starting to come up. It snowed today. I'm wondering if the snow is going to hurt them? i know they like the colder temps, but I am really inexperienced in the gardening area I love flowers and I am really trying to have a go at gardening. I'd love to hear your advice.
LORI

Old 03-01-2007, 10:01 PM

1,849 posts, read 4,601,456 times
Well I don't live where it snows now but I used to live in eastern Oregon where it did snow.

There's nothing you can do about snow on the bulbs coming up. Some of the bulbs will make it anyway. Tulips seems to like areas of the U.S. where it snows. I've tried them here but not too much luck with them as it doesn't stay cold enough.

My bulbs are not in any order. I've just got some scattered here and there to fill in blank places. They do multiply so give them some room to spread and they'll do fine.

Oh yes those Hyacinths are nice. I have some of the big ones that I planted and they are blooming now. They smell like heaven.

Old 03-07-2007, 02:43 PM

6,881 posts, read 11,660,203 times
Boring boring, we don't have many spring bulbs in FL. You guys are lucky to have such dramatic seasonal changes.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:51 PM
HDL

2,717 posts, read 3,734,110 times
Talking Okay ladies, I've got a question about Tulips

I'm in Boise ID and I got a tulip plant for Valentine's Day. It was absolutely gorgeous for 3 wks, but now the flowers are all dead .

Our weather is currently in the 60's during the day, but I don't know when I can plant it in the yard as we may get minor snow in the next month and definitely temps at night in the 30's. What's a girl supposed to do?

Old 03-08-2007, 01:40 AM

893 posts, read 1,647,981 times
I have a dozen or so miniature daffodils. They are so cute. I need to post a pick for you all

Old 03-08-2007, 02:04 PM

6,881 posts, read 11,660,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happydawglady View Post
I'm in Boise ID and I got a tulip plant for Valentine's Day. It was absolutely gorgeous for 3 wks, but now the flowers are all dead .

Our weather is currently in the 60's during the day, but I don't know when I can plant it in the yard as we may get minor snow in the next month and definitely temps at night in the 30's. What's a girl supposed to do?
Heck dawglady, I don't know nothing about snow. But if you keep your tulip alive by watering it when it's dry and give it plenty of light, you can plant it once the ground thaws out. Go ahead and cut off the dead flowers, they'll sap the energy of the bulb. Let the leaves grow, don't cut them off, they make food for next year's flowers.

Old 03-09-2007, 12:09 AM
HDL

2,717 posts, read 3,734,110 times
Smile Thanks Ellie

I'm not great in the garden and I can't remember if tulips only flower once a season and they are now done for the year??? If I plant them in the spring, what should I expect as far as flowering again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Heck dawglady, I don't know nothing about snow. But if you keep your tulip alive by watering it when it's dry and give it plenty of light, you can plant it once the ground thaws out. Go ahead and cut off the dead flowers, they'll sap the energy of the bulb. Let the leaves grow, don't cut them off, they make food for next year's flowers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden