U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 01:58 PM

43,733 posts, read 35,150,194 times

Advertisements

Don't overthink this. I believe that there are a few secrets to success though and if you DON'T have these elements, they won't do well.

1. The right light. Mine get morning sun, and they sit in a window all day every day in a bright room that has a lot of natural light. I rotate them when I water them.

2. I water them from the underside, never over the top or over the leaves. I get them good and wet and then I let them dry out. This typically means I water them about once a week.

3. I feed them African Violet food that I got, cheap, from Amazon. It's in drop form. I just put a few drops in the water when I water them.

I realized I was onto something when I bought a terrible looking African violet at an estate sale. I mean it was nearly dead, and very small, so I figured I had very little to lose. WOW. Within a month, it was gorgeous and was blooming, and it's never stopped since (this was about 4 years ago). I had put it in a biggish container, being hopeful, and now I'm wondering if I should transplant it. So anyway, I went and bought another one at Lowes, which also looked poorly and now it's doing great too. Since I am nowhere near a Plant Whisperer - I mean, plants either need to make it or not but I'm not going to pamper or fret over anything - I figure it's got to be the light, the watering, and the plant food. Cuz that's all I'm doing with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or