U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 06:13 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,598,818 times

Advertisements

does anyone know the secret? I have tried to raise them indoors- looked on Google, etc. I am good w/outdoor flowers, but indoors- no green thumb!-
Thanks

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 03:14 AM

272 posts, read 1,365,097 times
The 2 main mistakes I think people make with African violets are: Too much water, not enough light.

I keep mine in a window that gets early morning sunlight (and turn the pots every morning so they get even coverage). Between waterings I let the soil dry out a bit, so at least the top is dry to the touch; you don't want them to wilt, but the soil should not remain wet all the time. Watering: use tepid water and let it sit for an hour or so first to let chlorine, etc. evaporate out. Don't get the leaves wet. Don't shock the little darling with cold water.

Have a deep saucer under the pot and fill it about 2/3's full with pebbles, then add water to the saucer until the pot's bottom itself is slightly under water. The roots will suck the water up. When the top of the soil gets damp, dump the water out of the saucer and let the plant drain any excess water.

If you live in a dry climate, keep some water in the saucer (but not up to the level of the bottom of the pot!) to add humidity to the air around the plant. You do NOT want the water level too high, because you don't want the plant's roots to be sucking up water until you decide it needs to!

Find some plant food specific to African violets and follow instructions for feeding.

I find that if you worry about them too much and fuss over them, you will tend to kill them with kindness. They are really tougher than you think. Again, don't over water them, and make sure they get some decent light at least part of the day.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:33 PM

892 posts, read 2,194,776 times
I have had mine for about 8 years and it is huge and never stops blooming. I have it in front of a window that the blinds are always closed but sunlight gets thru a little in the mornings. Last time I fed it was probably 5 years ago. I water it probably once a month as I always forget until I see it starting to wilt. I used to water it from the bottom like everyone says but I switched it to a normal pot (still has the saucer in the bottom just not a bottom watering pot) I water from the top now, I just pour the water between or under the leaves. It seems to be thriving well. I would suggest watering once a week though. The first year I had it I think I watered it too much and it was not getting any sunlight and it was not blooming.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:07 AM

14,505 posts, read 23,598,818 times
Smile thanks-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Boomer View Post
The 2 main mistakes I think people make with African violets are: Too much water, not enough light.

I keep mine in a window that gets early morning sunlight (and turn the pots every morning so they get even coverage). Between waterings I let the soil dry out a bit, so at least the top is dry to the touch; you don't want them to wilt, but the soil should not remain wet all the time. Watering: use tepid water and let it sit for an hour or so first to let chlorine, etc. evaporate out. Don't get the leaves wet. Don't shock the little darling with cold water.

Have a deep saucer under the pot and fill it about 2/3's full with pebbles, then add water to the saucer until the pot's bottom itself is slightly under water. The roots will suck the water up. When the top of the soil gets damp, dump the water out of the saucer and let the plant drain any excess water.

If you live in a dry climate, keep some water in the saucer (but not up to the level of the bottom of the pot!) to add humidity to the air around the plant. You do NOT want the water level too high, because you don't want the plant's roots to be sucking up water until you decide it needs to!

Find some plant food specific to African violets and follow instructions for feeding.

I find that if you worry about them too much and fuss over them, you will tend to kill them with kindness. They are really tougher than you think. Again, don't over water them, and make sure they get some decent light at least part of the day.
So they should get filtered light? I think I probably fussed over them; maybe overwatered. Thanks for all the suggestions!

sunny

Old 03-04-2007, 11:15 AM

2,814 posts, read 12,019,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
does anyone know the secret? I have tried to raise them indoors- looked on Google, etc. I am good w/outdoor flowers, but indoors- no green thumb!-
Thanks

sunny
I used to have a huge bowl of them, about 10 African Violets together of different colors, especially deep purples and pinks, and have them on my dining room table in the center. They got bright indirect morning light from the east and were briefly grazed by direct morning light, though only for a few minutes as the sun rose, then they'd get indirect light from the north window throughout the rest of the day. They bloomed like crazy all year except when my cats would eat the blossoms...
I kept the bottom wilting leaves trimmed off and made sure they stayed bright waxy green. Not too much water either. I'd wait until they felt dry on the surface and then water lightly.
My greatgrandparents raised African Violets on a window ledge in their home as well and that window faced south, but they had sheers on that window too. Theirs were always blooming too all year round.
I think they just need bright indirect light and they should do fine.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:50 AM

9,760 posts, read 19,924,623 times
I think things like African Violets thrive on a bit of benign neglect. You have to have the right touch, not too much.

Some kinds of orchids are much the same. Put them under the edge of the shrubbery and only look at them out of the corner of your eye. If they think that you care, they'll die.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:52 AM

5,298 posts, read 5,744,020 times
We bought some and last summer the blooms died and it hadn't flowered since,but just this week I noticed it's starting bloom again...just when I was about it give up on it.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:58 PM

279 posts, read 1,049,824 times
My grandmother had the most beautiful African Violets- her secret was to let them sit in the East facing window so they had sun only for the morning, water was placed in the bottom of the dish once a week. She never gave them nutrients other then those little sticks you stick in the soil ..Anyway-I use my grandmothers method and I have have beautiful Violets.

I had a friend who gave her Violets bottled water, then wondered why they kept dying.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 86 times
try youtube , there are all kind of info for violets and you can watch it, which is really helpful

Old 04-18-2019, 01:51 PM

13,606 posts, read 18,427,724 times
I use Shultz African violet food and also have them under grow lights and they do very well . I do think however you can kill them by too much care .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or