Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2008, 09:07 PM

180 posts, read 748,306 times

Advertisements

We are hoping to move to KY in the next year. Was wondering what 'can't be grown there' if anything!

More interested in what Can Not be grown than what can!!

Asparagus? Garlic? Kohlrabi? Cabbage? Baby corn? whatever??

What berries don't do well, if any?

What is the growing season? Here we can't plant until mid May .... done by Halloween....

Would love some insight since we compost and grow our own veggies!

Thank you for any information!

PacaLady
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 11:04 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Where in Kentucky? That makes a difference. Unless you're moving to a mountaintop in eastern Kentucky, your growing season will be at least as long as the one you're used to now.

Check out the zone map to find out which zone you're moving into.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:04 PM

666 posts, read 2,536,548 times
In Louisville the growing season is usually late March/early April through late October. It can be a little longer or shorter each year. But generally we have our last frost around April 1st and our first around November 1st. I only grew tomatoes this year and they kept growing until probably the 1st week in November. I have no problem growing squash, zucchini, strawberries, pretty much any popular herb you can think of, and grape vines do fairly well here. Western and Southern Kentucky have the longest growing seasons, and Eastern and Northern Kentucky have the shortest, due to the mountains and NKY is just farther north.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:00 PM

We are focusing on the Lex regional areas of KY, but we are also looking at the southern part .... until we sell our place here in Idaho, it is a mute point though, since we won't know what might be on the market in KY at the time we sell in Idaho. Our realtor's listing just ran out this week; but we're still getting hits on our website from my own advertising ..... very few inquiries with the economy what it is, and the Holidays upon us. We understand and prayerful we can move in 2009!!!

When we get to KY we were thinking of having a u-pick/produce stand type place in conjunction with our alpaca farm. Maybe have a small corn maze for kids to visit; pumpkin patch in the fall; fresh veggies and fruits to pick during the summer while one is visiting the alpaca farm and hold classes in fiber arts etc. But it occured to me that having a 'garden' full of fruits, veggies and herbs is probably what everyone else is doing there in rural life as well! So maybe no customers!!!

We're just trying to find a way to be self sustainable, and will appreciate any information or insight anyone can share.

Thanks
PacaLady

Old 12-20-2008, 02:11 AM

956 posts, read 3,001,462 times
Bluegrass? Wouldn't that be funny.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:14 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Asparagus grows good around here. We can go out and pick several pounds of the highway rights of way. I never knew the stuff grew wild until a man at work showed me.

As far as the house looking, check on realtor.com and just put in Lexington, or whatever town in that area you want to check

Old 12-23-2008, 07:48 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacalady View Post
We are hoping to move to KY in the next year. Was wondering what 'can't be grown there' if anything!

Money on trees!!!!!!!!

Sorry, i couldn't resist.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:55 AM

631 posts, read 1,885,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacalady View Post
We are focusing on the Lex regional areas of KY, but we are also looking at the southern part .... until we sell our place here in Idaho, it is a mute point though, since we won't know what might be on the market in KY at the time we sell in Idaho. Our realtor's listing just ran out this week; but we're still getting hits on our website from my own advertising ..... very few inquiries with the economy what it is, and the Holidays upon us. We understand and prayerful we can move in 2009!!!

When we get to KY we were thinking of having a u-pick/produce stand type place in conjunction with our alpaca farm. Maybe have a small corn maze for kids to visit; pumpkin patch in the fall; fresh veggies and fruits to pick during the summer while one is visiting the alpaca farm and hold classes in fiber arts etc. But it occured to me that having a 'garden' full of fruits, veggies and herbs is probably what everyone else is doing there in rural life as well! So maybe no customers!!!

We're just trying to find a way to be self sustainable, and will appreciate any information or insight anyone can share.

Thanks
PacaLady

Honestly, I can't think of anything that doesn't grow in Kentucky. That's where I'm from and my family has always had gardens. I'm from South Central Kentucky about an hour and a half from Lexington and my Mom's garden contains just about every vegetable known to man . She also has several fruit and nut tree's on our family property. In fact I just got a big bag of hulled pecans in the mail last week from her that grew on the pecan tree in our front yard. Good Luck with your garden and your move!

Old 12-23-2008, 12:25 PM

891 posts, read 3,052,115 times
The rule of thumb is to wait until after Derby day to plant tomatoes to avoid the frost getting them. I must say it's a pretty accurate measure of when to plant

Old 12-23-2008, 03:15 PM

Thanks everyone! I can hardly wait for the seed catalogs to arrive!!!

(And a buyer for our Idaho farm too!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden