U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 07:02 PM

25,463 posts, read 11,977,551 times

Advertisements

Enjoyed reading many of the posts! We have lived here in the 'country' for over 35 years and have fed 'our' birds year 'round. Right now, besides the usual chickadees, titmouses, nuthatches, we have Purple Finches and wrens, juncos, downy and hairy woodpeckers, red-bellied woodpeckers and even some of my favorite, Pileated Woodpeckers at our many feeders.

Use to have many more Cardinals than we do now. Too many Cowbirds during the Spring and Summer around here.

It is interesting to observe the antics of birds and even get to know the sounds they make and the differences in their flight patterns and how they react to humans. Right now we only have 12 feeders around our home. May have to put out more. Thanks for all of the interesting and informative posts. Happy New Year to y'all!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 05:25 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,140,943 times
Our birds have dealt with back to back storms that dropped 10" of snow one day and 15" the following day. I've been watching an injured female pine grosbeak but haven't seen her for a few days.

We have pine and evening grosbeaks, bluejays, chickadees, tree sparrows and red breasted nuthatches coming to the feeder.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:09 PM

13,155 posts, read 16,886,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Our birds have dealt with back to back storms that dropped 10" of snow one day and 15" the following day. I've been watching an injured female pine grosbeak but haven't seen her for a few days.

We have pine and evening grosbeaks, bluejays, chickadees, tree sparrows and red breasted nuthatches coming to the feeder.
Must be pretty, but having endured the snows of New England for most of my life, I'm now enjoying balmy NC and not missing the north at all. Poor birds, though. We have a cold spell here (around or below freezing at night), and I was concerned about our birds - finally was able to find some suet to put out for them. It didn't take them long to discover it. Hope they finish it over the next few days, as temps are supposed to hit mid 50s and even mid 60s.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:53 AM

4,281 posts, read 9,282,886 times
We have the same birds as Maine Writer with the addition of Downey Woodpeckers. They just love the suet I get from Fleetfarm.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:32 AM

13,155 posts, read 16,886,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
We have the same birds as Maine Writer with the addition of Downey Woodpeckers. They just love the suet I get from Fleetfarm.
We do have woodpeckers - I've seen one, and hear them all the time from the woods behind us. I also heard the hoot of an owl one night when I went out with the puppy. Sky was clear, stars were bright, and there was this repeating somewhat lonesome sounding hoot...it was cool. Actually it was *cold* brrrr...but you know what I meant.

We used to have a lot of mourning doves feeding in the yard during better weather (they are ground feeders), but I haven't seen any for a long time. Do they migrate?

Old 01-04-2008, 12:58 PM

4,281 posts, read 9,282,886 times
I don't think they are migatory birds. We've got plenty of them here in the Midwest picking at the seed on the snow.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:15 PM

25,463 posts, read 11,977,551 times
I agree tet tea. We have mourning doves around all year. They are ground feeders here and sometimes must fight the squirrels for the feed on the ground. Durn furry tailed rats

Old 01-05-2008, 09:29 PM

21,044 posts, read 19,019,403 times
I envy you having so many mourning doves....I see them seldom and then there's usually only the two....nothing better than to be awakened on a summer morning to their beautiful cooing.

I was surprised to see Bluebirds in November here (MN) when it was around zero....saw them drinking out of the pet's heated water dish. Unfortunately I did find one dead one. I wonder why they didn't fly south???

Could anyone recommend a CD of bird calls that includes owls ?

Old 01-06-2008, 06:17 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,175,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

We used to have a lot of mourning doves feeding in the yard during better weather (they are ground feeders), but I haven't seen any for a long time. Do they migrate?
Do you have many hawks around? They sure do like to eat doves.

When I lived in Colorado, we only had mourning doves from spring until fall.
Those poor things would have some rough, snowy springs. It always gave me a sign of hope when I first heard their coo.

Now that I am here, I not only see the familiar mourning doves I knew in Colorado, but other species of dove as well--much smaller ones. They seem to come and go, but never disappear altogether.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:57 AM

382 posts, read 956,048 times
We have many birds and squirrels around our home. I landscaped with evergreen trees, shrubs and flowers/plants to provide winter quarters for the birds who stayed. We have four types of Doves, two pair of red headed woodpeckers, hummingbirds, all type of birds AND a red tail hawk - EEEK! Love the hawk; a beautiful creature but I hate to see it kill anything. The hawk had a showdown with one of our squirrels and it was the funniest thing to watch. Hawk finally gave up and left after the squirrel wore him down.

Mr. Hawk did pop one of our Doves, though. Really hurt my feelings hearing the poor thing scream so. Scared me to death as my 2 lbs Maltese was outside doing her business and the hawk was eyeballing her rather intensely. After the Dove incident, I would stand over my Maltese, dancing around to keep the hawk at bay, while my baby took care of the call of nature. My neighbors probably thought I had lost the rest of my marbles since all they could see was me, from the waist up, hopping around and flapping my arms. I guess I provided some free neighborhood entertainment to go with their morning coffee.

I have several birdfeeders hanging around with hummingbird feeders as well. I hand made two feeders which I mounted on top of my 6' tall privacy fence; one open and one with a canopy. Squirrels and birds eat along side each other, even the Doves feed from them. Being the ground feeders they are, I was surprised the Doves took to the feeders I mounted on my fence. Guess it must have been out of necessity since my dogs love to aggravate them with a game of hide and seek and then tag your it.

Most of "our" birds/squirrels stay year round. Some do head further south for the winter but always return in the spring. Our little creatures even return with their young to complete the cycle ensuring a never ending procession to our feeders. It is facinating to watch the young of one season return the next with their young. That is how we have been blessed with two sets of red headed woodpeckers. Maybe this spring we will have three sets.

Last edited by SassyGirl2; 01-06-2008 at 08:08 AM.. Reason: Added last paragraph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or