U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 12:38 PM

9,540 posts, read 19,417,284 times

Advertisements

You know I forgot to pass this along, I think this forum had not even started back then.

A few weeks ago I participated in the "funnest" thing, the Great Backyard Bird Count. It'll happen again next year, for those of you who don't know about it already.

http://gbbc.birdsource.org/

Check out the results page, especially the map room option. Just amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 02:58 PM

1,911 posts, read 8,102,631 times
Activity is finally starting to show in my yard!...the usual sparrows, robins, starlings, cardinals, juncos, chickadees, woodpeckers and I just today noticed a red-tail hawk has set up shop in my backyard. I have a line of trees that it loves to hang out in.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:10 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,897,970 times
Just an fyi about birdseed storage....Don't store it in the house!!!
I've been plagued by small moths that come out only at night when the lights are on and I've killed maybe 20 of them. I've been worried because moth infestations usually mean something is wrong, like water problems, etc. I didn't know what kind of moths these were.
So last night I finally looked up common household moth pests on the internet and the first photo I saw was Exactly the moth I've been having problems with.
It said it's the Indian Meal Moth and they live especially in birdseed bags, squirrel food bags, etc. They come with the birdseed and squirrel food when you buy them.
Guess what I had on the counter in my laundry room??? Both birdseed bags and squirrel food bags which both were opened. Sure enough, when I looked, there were moths in them. So I tossed them.
I guess in the future if I buy that stuff I'll store it outside on the deck in a can.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:16 PM

525 posts, read 2,119,342 times
Yup, but you can get a "Pantry Pest" at the hardware store. I cna't store outside with bears, coyote, oppossums, raccoons-you probably shouldn't either where you are. I swear by Pantry Pests, they wont harm your pets and catch um like crazy. I also use airtight bins, these are actually shoebox size bought at Ace, and the bins with the Pantry pest in the closet do well.

Be aware the Meal Moth also will come in in flour, rice, grains! So I have a Pantry Pest in the Pantry as well!

Old 03-12-2007, 03:20 PM

265 posts, read 1,371,375 times
You can buy pheromone-based traps for those moths, to eliminate any that may still be (or may have already laid eggs that will eventually hatch) in your house.

A single female moth can lay hundreds of eggs at once, so those little critters are nothing to fool with!

Google "meal moth traps" or "flour moth traps" to find vendors selling them. No pesticides involved... just moth pheromones which will attract and then trap any that are still around or may later hatch out.

(p.s. - I see JustSayNo and I posted the same thing at the same time! )

Old 03-12-2007, 03:34 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,897,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedOnLI View Post
You can buy pheromone-based traps for those moths, to eliminate any that may still be (or may have already laid eggs that will eventually hatch) in your house.

A single female moth can lay hundreds of eggs at once, so those little critters are nothing to fool with!

Google "meal moth traps" or "flour moth traps" to find vendors selling them. No pesticides involved... just moth pheromones which will attract and then trap any that are still around or may later hatch out.

(p.s. - I see JustSayNo and I posted the same thing at the same time! )
I think I caught it early and I'll keep my eyes peeled. They aren't in any other food source in the house. When it gets dark and I turn on lights, I'll watch for any leftover moths. I'm sure there'll be a few left, but their hatching site is hasta la pasta.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:17 PM

265 posts, read 1,371,375 times
Hopefully you're right, and they're gone. But keep in mind that moth eggs and pupae can go into a kind of "stasis" until the conditions are optimal for them to hatch. This statis can vary anywhere from days to weeks to months, sometimes as much as a full year. I know this is true for the larger moths so it may well be the same for the smaller varieties.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:09 AM

15,596 posts, read 34,564,634 times
This site might come in handy for bird watchers...

www.birds.cornell.edu/

Old 03-22-2007, 06:08 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,416,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
The moose came back and ate a gallon of sunflower seeds this morning. Grrrr...

oh rance he is so cute
I think you need to name him "Stanley"

Here is a trick I found that has greatly reduced the number of strange things that have sprouted in my garden form the birdseed.
I took one of the gladwear disposable containers and I nuke the birdseed, fill the container cover with a old dish towel and 4 or 5 mins per batch, this will make the seed sterile so it won't sprout but still provides the birds nutrition
I do this when I buy a bag . I find that while I am catching up on the forums I just do a batch at a time and before you know it
I have read the forums and nuked all the seed.
Yeah I know I need a job
but I have gotten tired of weeding all the "volunteer plants" that spring up form the seed.

I get the big cat litter containers form my friends that have cats to store the birdseed

karla

Old 03-22-2007, 06:36 AM

9,540 posts, read 19,417,284 times
I'm so glad you guys woke this thread back up. Was thinking about it yesterday. The little Carolina wrens are all in a nesting frenzy around my house. They are the ones who will build a nest in a hanging basket, an old hat, in your garage if you leave the door open, or in your kayak, if you don't use it often enough.

There's one who must have learned his way into and out of my house by now. No nest, but if I leave the patio door open and turn my back, he's sitting on the lamp shade in the living room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or