U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 09:29 AM

1,406 posts, read 4,590,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
There's one who must have learned his way into and out of my house by now. No nest, but if I leave the patio door open and turn my back, he's sitting on the lamp shade in the living room.

They do like to be around people, don't they? I'm afraid we'll lock some in the garage and they'll suffocate before it's opened again!

Our beautiful cardinals are still around and they're really happy with me for buying more sunflower seeds. We've had to move the feeder to almost the center of the yard and put another barrier on it to keep the squirrels away. They were doing some olympic worthy acrobatics to get to the feed! We had some on our screened back porch and they actually ate a hole in the screen to get to the feed. We now keep it in a bucket in the garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 07:48 PM

15,596 posts, read 34,556,906 times
Stanley? That is a mother moose (cow) so we'll have to pick something else. Won't be long and she'll be drinking all my pond water again, but I don't mind when she has a calf with her. Moose are kinda ugly...but the babies are cute.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:06 PM

17,835 posts, read 29,410,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Stanley? That is a mother moose (cow) so we'll have to pick something else. Won't be long and she'll be drinking all my pond water again, but I don't mind when she has a calf with her. Moose are kinda ugly...but the babies are cute.
well rance
I have a female racoon whos name is "herbert" lol named her before I knew he was a she
but if you insit on a female name I will lend you Lola my 2 yr old puppies name
she sound like your moose always getting into things.
but Ill trade your birdseed and pond water for the digital camera and 2 chairs Lola got into

karla
I still think you should go with "stanley"

Old 03-23-2007, 05:58 PM

192 posts, read 785,341 times
Until yesterday, I had (notice the past tense!) cardinals, house finches, chickadees, robins, starlings (greedy little thugs that they are), song sparrows, English sparrows, mourning doves, titmice, juncos, blue jays and grackles at my feeder.

Yesterday was when a male mockingbird decided to take over my backyard as his personal prime real estate. He chases every other bird, including the grackles which are easily twice his size, away from the feeder area. He must be exhausted by dusk because he spends the entire day either standing guard or swooping in to attack any bird foolish enough to think they can sneak a snack. I actually saw him divebomb a squirrel this afternoon!

I love mockingbirds but wish this particular lad wasn't quite so territorial. The saving grace is that the feeder is almost empty, and as I only feed during winter I've decided to simply let him empty it out -- he doesn't eat much, actually, which is puzzling -- and then remove it. It's not as if any of the other birds are being allowed to dine anyway!

Old 03-23-2007, 07:20 PM

9,537 posts, read 19,409,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
I still think you should go with "stanley"
Yeah, just spell it Stanlie, then it's a girl moose.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:32 PM

15,596 posts, read 34,556,906 times
I was thinking more along the lines of "Millie". Millie moose?

And can you just move your feeder to the front lawn? Or would that mockingbird attack out front as well?

Old 03-23-2007, 10:34 PM

462 posts, read 1,661,010 times
We just had our annual invasion of black birds. Looked to be about ten thousand of them. Our two geese returned to our pond, here on the farm in Tennessee, three weeks ago, along with about 15 wood ducks.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:33 AM

That sounds incredible.

I'm sitting at my desk watching the bird bath. I've decided that birds are like sponges and are capable of sopping up (not splashing) all of the water out of the bath at an incredible rate. I checked the water level about an hour ago and it looked like there was plenty to get through the day.

Now a mourning dove has gone and literally rolled around in the thing, slowly shifting from side to side, lifting each wing out of the way --and all of the water is gone!

Old 03-25-2007, 01:36 AM
HDL
Status: "Here's to finding common ground" (set 29 days ago)

3,090 posts, read 5,855,644 times
I used to love 'birds' till I found them stealing all my strawberries last spring!!!! This year I'm thinking of doing something to stop them :-0 Any suggestions???

Old 03-25-2007, 06:51 AM

Have you tried bird netting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or