U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2007, 02:10 PM

9,537 posts, read 19,409,941 times

Advertisements

I am cracking up at a pair of red bellied woodpeckers who have started coming to the feeder. They must have a nest with chicks. My feeder is a wooden box of sorts, turned upside down on top of a stack of concrete blocks.

They perch on the side of the blocks and make a terrible racket while scoping out the ground next to the feeder. Then they hop down, grab a big chunk of bread and fly off. One literally carried off half a biscuit yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 05:27 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,862,708 times
lol @ the woodies. They are something! We finally had our first hummer yesterday, woohoo.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:57 PM

14,506 posts, read 23,184,639 times
Smile nice post-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I had a good bird morning, this morning. I was working feverishly at my computer, had not peeked at c-d in quite some time, looked out my office window and saw a red male cardinal sitting on my platform feeder right next to a.... male indigo bunting! I rarely ever see those.

There are just little things in life that please me no end.

I love those cardinals-what does a bunting look like?

sunny

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 04-19-2007 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 04-20-2007, 03:50 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,158,807 times
Quote:
I had a good bird morning, this morning. I was working feverishly at my computer, had not peeked at c-d in quite some time, looked out my office window and saw a red male cardinal sitting on my platform feeder right next to a.... male indigo bunting! I rarely ever see those.

There are just little things in life that please me no end.
Indigo buntings are really something, I have seen a couple in the springtime since moving here. And being from Colorado, I still get a shiver of excitement every time I see a cardinal--you really got a double whammy there, Ellie.
Here is a male indigo bunting:

Old 04-20-2007, 10:37 AM

15,596 posts, read 34,556,906 times
Man you guys have it made. That is a nice shot!

Old 04-20-2007, 04:23 PM

Yeah we do. Don't you have snowy owls or something up there?

Old 04-20-2007, 06:09 PM

Yes we do up here on the north slope. But we don't get the cool colored birds like you guys down there. I think the most colorfull is the stellar jay. A nice deep iricandesant blue, and a black head with a crest thingy like a cardinal...I don't have a pic handy.
Here's the falcon from last fall:

Old 04-20-2007, 08:11 PM

What kind of falcon is it? I enjoy watching raptors.

As for our blue-colored birds, they're not that common. Blue jays are. Must be like your stellar jay. Eastern bluebirds are on the rebound. I have a pair who come to my bird bath every day around 4:30. But the Indigo Buntings are few and far between. I'd never seen one until last year.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:40 PM

I have no idea what kind of falcon it is. Could be a perragrin or gyr falcon. Pretty tiny thing. But really cool to watch while it sits there resting. All birds and squirrels vanish but come right back out when the falcon leaves.

Old 04-21-2007, 03:44 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,158,807 times
Quote:

But the Indigo Buntings are few and far between. I'd never seen one until last year.
Ditto.
And Rance, I did not take that pic. I wish! It came from Photobucket.
I've taken photographs of the indigo buntings I've seen, but they were just little indigo blobs in motion.
I've been seeing lots of bluebirds, which to me, from the rear, are almost more exotic looking than the indigo buntings--the males, that is. The blue is so bright, almost snowcone blue.
I like raptors, too.Yesterday while out on the school playground (which overlooks the bay), I watched an osprey fly off with a fish in its talons.
Have been seeing a bald eagle family regularly at the beach; two adolescents, and Mom and Pop. I do have pics of them that I will eventually post.
I still can't figure out whether or not northwest Florida bald eagles migrate. The ones I am seeing seem now very comfortable. But last summer, I did not see any bald eagles at all (was living in a different location from where I am now.)
Maybe some migrate, and some don't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or