Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 02:43 PM

122 posts, read 573,076 times

Advertisements

Well, activity is picking up as the warmer zones enter into early Spring.

Time to add your local zone ins & outs to this list!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 10:52 PM

666 posts, read 2,536,548 times
ACTIVITY: Palms, Bananas, Perennials

LIKES: relatively long growing season thanks to the microclimate of living by the ohio river and the city, and the ability to grow plants that are native to both the north and the south. plants start to grow early march, and continue to grow until late october. lots of sunny days. plants get nice and lush here.

DISLIKES: very humid, lots of bugs get on the plants, the heat will burn some plants if not watered daily, occasional droughts and sporadic ice storms and windstorms destroy the less hardy and more fragile plants

Old 02-09-2009, 09:57 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
ACTIVITY: Mostly perinnial flower gardnening, some vegetable gardening.

LIKES: Seeing all of the flowers in bloom, trying to find new plants to go in flower beds that bloom at different times of the season. The fragrance of the flowers. Watching the corn grow and the pumpkins get larger.

DISLIKES: To cold of a growing zone and it's hard to find plants that can survive in our area. Weeding out locust, boxelder, and cottonwood trees from my flowerbeds. Trying to find a good weed barrier that keeps those dang tree seeds from germinating and growing. Weeding out a type of crab grass that is impossible to get rid of. The grass is half the reason my weed barriers don't work. The grass just breaks through anything I put down, shoot the grass can even break through concrete. Weedy type flowers/plants like Yarrow and Hollyhocks. I love Hollyhocks, but not all over my yard. I totally hate Yarrow.
Man I must have been tired when I posted this.

The location should read: Northeastern Wyoming
and I mostly grow perennials not perinnials.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:39 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Vermont: too hot. Or last year, it was too wet, it rained all summer just about, but that's a little unusual.

But, you can grow a lot in Vermont if you know what you're doing. Even in last year's miserable weather I managed to get a decent crop of tomatoes and even some watermelons.

Where I'm moving to in Alaska: things will need to be started incredibly early indoors, there's always a risk of frost at any time, and the season can be under 90 days.

On the bright side: it's not too hot there, and a lot of the pests and diseases in the lower 48 aren't there. Moose and bears are there though. About 24 hours of sunlight for much of the summer helps make up for the short season too...

Old 02-09-2009, 11:07 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I dislike the dirt, grass, etc., that get in my feet area when I'm out working in the yard.

ACTIVITY: vegetable, flower gardening

DISLIKES: Fickle spring weather, murderously hot summer days, and squash maggots. Never had a problem growing zucchini in Ohio; here I can't keep a plant alive long enough for it to set fruit.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:58 PM

122 posts, read 573,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
...and squash maggots. Never had a problem growing zucchini in Ohio; here I can't keep a plant alive long enough for it to set fruit.
I'm guessing you mean squash vine borers ...

! Good info to know that squash vine borers are a problem in Philly. They can be devastating, but there may be hope.

Basically, they are the larva of a wasp or bee like insect. It bores a hole near the base of your squash and lays eggs in the vine. The larva that hatch soon afterward then easily and quickly kill the plant. The mature winged insect is attracted to yellow blossoms, so they easily find your plants.

Strides are being made with new varieties of summer squash that are borer resistant. Perhaps you can search out one or ask your local extension agent.

Last edited by FOAD; 02-09-2009 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: oops

Old 02-09-2009, 01:19 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Yeah, them. *shudder*

Thanks for the info! I hate those ^$#%#@!!!!!!

Old 02-09-2009, 01:21 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times
Making new flowerbeds
Coercing dog to help me dig holes
Hates:
I cant do anything in summer do to heat & humidity
Effin wild blackberry brambles that get in to EVERYWHERE and cant be killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden