U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 01:14 AM

1,318 posts, read 5,302,425 times

Advertisements

ellie - that's cool! I like your thinking/gardening habits!
Where are you located? You mention hurricanes, so I assume FL?
We let out back yard grow wild as well! To be honest, my love HATES it, but we don't have time or are lazy to mow.
The front we keep up.
But I LOVE that wildness! I hate the idea of "weeds" as if they're somehow "bad"!!! They're beautiful! I once read that weeds are actually just something growing that you don't want there! They're flowers too, but somehow got deemed "weeds." We just mowed it a few days ago, & it IS nice to have the space, (we only have a fifth acre!) but I feel like I'm murdering! Not only the "weeds", but possibly creatures! Hopefully not, but in any case, I feel like I'm bulldozing their homes! We have so many bees & grasshoppers - I hate to displace them! Oh! And we see snakes every now & then! We did that day! It's a blessing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 06:46 AM

9,537 posts, read 19,409,941 times
Leaving little patches of wildness in your yard really benefits all of the critters looking for a home. One of my early influences, an older woman who lived in a densely populated urban area, whose yard was only 15' x 20', would leave her dead Christmas tree standing in the corner because she said it attracted sparrows. The yard was otherwise immaculate, with flowering roses and vines, a tiny patch of lawn, and an old goldfish pond. And sure enough, the sparrows loved the dead Christmas tree.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:11 PM

1,341 posts, read 5,549,409 times
I like your style ellie. Just in case you don't already, be sure to identify all volunteering plants. In some cases, volunteers are actually aggressive non-native species that choke out native species.

Here in Virginia, vegetation is good for all wild creatures, snakes included. You have to be careful with large boulders in landscapes though, because they do draw snakes since boulders retain heat long after the sun has gone down. But we have plenty of black snakes, which are very desirable, given that they a) eat other snakes (copperhead, rattlers) and b) eat rodent pests.

Sean

Old 03-12-2007, 03:50 PM

I'm with you on that Sean. Here in Florida people are hyper alert to invasive exotics. There are a few in my yard, like some mimosa seedlings. But for the most part I've gotta pretty good balance out there.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:27 AM

It's been a couple of weeks since I mowed the "weed experiment." I've hardly been on that side of the yard until today. Looks like I will have a good crop of Drummond phlox this April. I started out with a handful of seeds I gathered two years ago which I scattered on a bare patch of ground left from burning hurricane debris. Last year there was a small but respectable patch of pink flowers. This year it is six times larger. I'll take photos if they come into bloom all at once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or