U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 07:21 AM

9,537 posts, read 19,405,892 times

Advertisements

It is that time of year again, maybe it is even a little late; today I am going to mow down my native-succession weed patch. I only mow this part of my yard once a year but have seeded it with a variety of wildflowers native to this area. The DOT wildflower tracts are maintained this way.

My neighbors hate it, despite the fact I do mow a respectable lawn around the front, back, and sides of my house. With over an acre, in the country, on a dirt road, I believe it is absolutely silly to maintain a giant rectangle of flat blank yard. So, over the years, I have allowed a buffer of cherry laurel to grow along the back fence, where no one goes. The birds seem to like it.

But what I have enjoyed most since purchasing this property is watching the native plants and flowers reestablish themselves in a formerly skinned bare dirt bike track, which is my side yard. I mean there was nothing but loose sand before.

The size of this area is roughly 1/3 acre. But my two elderly neighbors howl and cuss that I do this. I find it quite amusing and a bit disconcerting at times. One old-timer got so worked up last week (he lives on the far side, 150' away from my experimental plot) that I called the sheriff to get advice. The deputy could not believe it and came out just to see for himself. Problem solved, for the moment.

But now it is time to mow, nature says it is time, not that crabby old dude next door. The gaillardia are already budding out and the verbena is blooming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 09:22 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,153,042 times
Why do the neighbors get so upset about you mowing?
What am I missing here?
The native plants and flowers sound wonderful.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:52 AM

They tell me I'll get snakes. As if snakes are a disease.

I think they believe they'll get snakes.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:56 AM

I planted some longleaf pine seedlings in that same area two years ago and the neighbor said "you'll be sorry, pine trees draw lightning."

Priceless.

Old 03-04-2007, 01:56 PM

13,374 posts, read 40,153,042 times
heehee
What a crackup.
I wasn't aware that lightning was attracted to specific species of trees.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:46 PM

You learn a lot when living in the country. So the eastern half of the yard is mowed. The neighbors should be happier now.

I'm pleased with the results, speaking of gardening techniques, I have one of those d-r style lawnmower line trimmers which allows me to mow down all but the gnarliest of weeds. But when I needed to skip over a flowering plant, all I had to do was pop a wheelie with it and skim right over the top without damaging the crown of the plant at all.

But I'm sore now. Is this the beer drinking thread?

Old 03-06-2007, 02:07 PM

2,349 posts, read 9,494,459 times
Ellie, I think your yard sounds charming and I can't imagine someone getting upset over some FLOWERS! LOL Good lord you live in the COUNTRY on a DIRT road. Amazing. It seems to me that they would be happy to see the eye-sore dirt track converted to a beautiful plant/planet friendly area. It's not like you have filled your side yard w/broken down tractors and old refrigerators. Did I say amazing? Send pics when your plot thickens

Old 03-06-2007, 04:18 PM

Default plant haters

After years of thinking about it and from pure observation, I've decided that there are people out there who are simply uncomfortable with vegetation.

There's one in nearly every neighborhood, they're nice enough but there are no trees in their yard. They're afraid.

Hurricanes are an excuse to cut down the last tree, not that it was the only thing left standing after the last three storms, but because they finally have a good excuse to cut it down.

So my crabby old neighbors, on either side of me, one is 70 something years old, the other 80 something; they cannot stand that I have a fairly unconventional approach to yard work. I plant shrubs around the house, yet I rarely mow. And sometimes I mow in decorative patterns. To me dog fennel is as interesting as a flowering shrub, especially if it is in the right place.

And I admit that it's a bit fun standing in defiance of their code of yard work, but if they were not there, I'd do the same thing.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:35 AM

2,349 posts, read 9,494,459 times
I had a neighbor who refused to "let" his wife plant flowers or shrubs in the yard because he didn't want to mow around them. She had to go out and get concrete planters for the sidewalk. The house could be beautiful but it looks like it shot up out of the ground and was abandoned. OH, I could go on about those grassy treeless knolls! I have a huge old oak in my front yard so I don't have to mow there too much but if I want to keep my backyard "nice" I have to mow every week. This summer I will have a nice patch of flowers out like yours and hope like heck the neighbors love it lol. I am going to have to think about that mowing in patterns thing too.... funny!

Old 03-07-2007, 11:47 AM

I've mowed my lawn in corduroy stripes, leaving every other swath tall, and I've mowed in checks, and mowed in arcs that get wider on one end than the other. Half the work, twice the fun. It actually make me look forward to mowing the section of yard that I actually try to keep short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or