U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 03:18 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,408,044 times

Advertisements

Does anyone knows the difference between one or the other? Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 04:06 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,118,581 times
I think a Brugs is more of a tree [woody] and a perennial.
Both are 'tropical', ,but i think the Datura is an annual, and i do think that they are heavy reseeder.

I'd have to research it more - for more specifics... but i believe those are some differences.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:21 PM

2,035 posts, read 4,488,836 times
RUBIES77, tcs1366 has the right idea concerning both plant genus..

Brugmansias are essentially the larger,shrubby type,or as they are most commonly known, Angel's trumpets..

The majority of species belonging to the Datura genus are Herbaceous Perennials which typically inhabit dry,disturbed places such as abandoned fields or roadsides..Jimsonweed is the most commonly known species of these..most species of daturas are also very prolific seeders..

Both genus are considered somewhat to quite poisonous as well..Another plant sometimes called a brugmansia is Iochroma cyaneum and the orange or scarlet flowering species of that genus..

Old 01-12-2009, 08:41 PM

7,730 posts, read 12,616,030 times
Brug flowers point down. Daturas point up.

I have rooted cuttings of brugs and seeds for datura inoxia:

Brugmansia "Charles Grimaldi"

Both will die if frosted. In some zones, brugs will grow back each spring from the roots IF heavily mulched. Daturas will not, but they are heavy reseeders.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:35 PM

14,455 posts, read 30,748,042 times
My brugmansia grows back every year from the roots, I have a white one like the first pic. My problem is it doesn't bloom until the beginning of winter, by the time it blooms the frost gets it. Maybe I'm not fertilizing it enough, I've heard they are very heavy feeders.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
My brugmansia grows back every year from the roots, I have a white one like the first pic. My problem is it doesn't bloom until the beginning of winter, by the time it blooms the frost gets it. Maybe I'm not fertilizing it enough, I've heard they are very heavy feeders.
They are very heavy feeders. They also like a lot of water, but not wet feet. They won't bloom when temperatures are too hot either. They need afternoon shade. And they're pest magnets: aphids, mites, etc. They also don't like it when you look at them.

But they smell wonderful when they finally decide to bloom.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:47 AM

14,455 posts, read 30,748,042 times
Maybe that's the problem, mine is in full sun next to a hot brick wall.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Maybe that's the problem, mine is in full sun next to a hot brick wall.
Well that does help protect it during the winter, but if they get too hot, they won't bloom well. Daturas, on the other hand, don't seem to be affected at all by hot conditions. The one I got my seeds from bloomed all year from July through the first frost.

Old Today, 01:59 PM

1 posts
I have a big Brug.. It's very cold were i live so it spends the winter in the basement. I brought it up to light last month, mars . It now grows leafs on the upper end only, but i 'm already loosing leafs . What do i do wrong ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden