U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 08:30 AM

20,369 posts, read 25,537,730 times

Advertisements

Thank you Jaxson you are always so helpful. I will work on the compost bin before the summer is over. And maybe I'll pick up some lettuce seeds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 12:38 AM

21,338 posts, read 7,363,942 times
Lisa, the best animal pooh is the cow pooh... but it's best for your plants if it's aged. If it's green, it's too rich and could/will be apt to burn or kill off your plants.

You can build one of the contraptions Jaxson mentioned and fill it with poop.

The other thing you could do this season to improve your soil mix in your beds is to make a manure wash. Just take a bucket or a plastic trash can and fill it about one third with poop. Add water to within 2" of the top. Stir it up good with a big stick or broom handle... then spread on your plants. They will LOVE you for this!!!

Old 06-11-2009, 05:51 AM

20,369 posts, read 25,537,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Lisa, the best animal pooh is the cow pooh... but it's best for your plants if it's aged. If it's green, it's too rich and could/will be apt to burn or kill off your plants.

You can build one of the contraptions Jaxson mentioned and fill it with poop.

The other thing you could do this season to improve your soil mix in your beds is to make a manure wash. Just take a bucket or a plastic trash can and fill it about one third with poop. Add water to within 2" of the top. Stir it up good with a big stick or broom handle... then spread on your plants. They will LOVE you for this!!!

Ha, ha CM you made my morning. How lovely and I haven't even had my coffee yet, lol. Yes I have plenty of manure plops all over the property so I will definitely put it to good use.

For the manure wash does the manure also need to be green? Looks like I need to start shoveling some sh**, lol.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:32 PM

13,155 posts, read 16,901,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Ha, ha CM you made my morning. How lovely and I haven't even had my coffee yet, lol. Yes I have plenty of manure plops all over the property so I will definitely put it to good use.

For the manure wash does the manure also need to be green? Looks like I need to start shoveling some sh**, lol.
Just mosey over to some of the other forums...you'll find plenty of it.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:24 PM

68 posts, read 325,097 times
Best garden poop is Rabbit. I use it on everything from lettuce to my tropical hybrid Brugmansia flowers.

No curing needed just toss it on. I have a friend in Cleveland TN that raises and shows wabbits . she sells the poop by the bucket or truckload ;-)

Sorry .............. no pics of my veggies

Old 06-12-2009, 01:28 AM

18,114 posts, read 20,081,560 times
Reckon it depends on what you were raised with and what you are partial to. I would rather have horse manure first, cow second.

sienna nice rabbit poop pictures though.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:56 AM

68 posts, read 325,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Reckon it depends on what you were raised with and what you are partial to. I would rather have horse manure first, cow second.

sienna nice rabbit poop pictures though.
I is veeeery familiar with pasture apples ( horsie poo) ................
We have raised and shown AQHA reg American Quarter Horses since '63 .

Free horse manure is nice but must be well composted/aged first as it tends to way overdo the N. factor so you get an abundance of lush foliage but fewer tomatoes which to me is a waste of the growing season ~unless~ you supplement to balance it out against the N.

So I give away my manure and go shovel some wabbit poo at local 4-H'ers. Weird , huh ?...........

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh , last years 'maters *drool .......... *

BTW, I do raised bed gardening , I plant in large blocks eliminating pathways waste of space and water
Beds sre 4 ft wide and however long I want. No framing ,just form the beds with ye' good ol dirt rake ................

Old 06-14-2009, 06:12 PM

21,338 posts, read 7,363,942 times
I find the cow poop to be just the right nutrient mix where sometimes the horse poop doesn't have as much 'oomph'. Rabbit poop is good, but it's not readily available to me like cow poop is! lol And cow poop has such a good smell to it! roflmao!!!

YOUNGLISA.... you can plant your lettuce seeds right up through late August to ensure a good continual crop. Careful in the hottest heat of the summer to keep your eye on them as they will 'bolt' (grow and want to go to seed) almost overnight in the worst heat of the summer. You will be a convert to fresh lettuce and the endless varieties! Check Johnny's seeds on google as a good veggie seed source.... also pinetree garden seeds... both in Maine...

Old 06-14-2009, 08:20 PM

1,854 posts, read 8,535,788 times
I've always considered chicken manure the best. Horse manure is too weedy because they can't break down the seeds. All manure should be aged so that the bad bacterias can die.

I just found this website that compares different manures. Manure Matters: How Manures Measure Up

Old 06-15-2009, 02:37 AM

6,984 posts, read 12,406,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
I've always considered chicken manure the best. Horse manure is too weedy because they can't break down the seeds. All manure should be aged so that the bad bacterias can die.

I just found this website that compares different manures. Manure Matters: How Manures Measure Up
I'm glad you mentioned chicken manure. I have a funny tale on that subject. For years, my 86 yr old dad has been planting some tomatoes and a few other things in a co-op garden near town. He and the owner of the garden have a friend who has some chicken houses contracted out to a chicken processing plant near there. They asked him for maybe 3 five gallons buckets of cured manure so they could have some ready when they needed it. Friend said sure! I'll leave it over there for you! Boy did he leave it! Those 3 five gallon buckets ended up being half a farm truck load! Daddy said they had enough manure to cover that whole garden! lol They started giving it away pretty quick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden