Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 06:03 PM

133 posts, read 626,913 times

Advertisements

I was going to try planting more lettuce in the squares next to my squash in the 3x3 area. It gets really hot here in the summer and I've read that planting in shady areas will help prevent the lettuce from bolting.

What do you think? Brilliant or crazy? I hate to lose all those squares to one plant, but I do love squash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 06:32 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,984,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmama View Post
Faabala! I love your garden! Gorgeous. Did you start from seed? Eveything look so big.

I have had one wonderful salad but the rest of my lettuce isn't big enough to harvest. My spinach did finally sprout and is starting to look like spinach and I see tiny carrot sprouts emerging. I think if I took a picture of my garden at this point it would just look like dirt with some green dots.
\

Being our first year we cheated and bought plants. Everything is growing like crazy with the warm weather we have had. Next year we will try seeds.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:48 PM

30 posts, read 114,572 times
Hello fellow square foot gardeners . I'm in Western NC and started broccoli, parsley, tomatoes, peppers and marigolds from seed this year. This is my second year of gardening ever. Last year we bought transplants.

I think I have probably killed or at least partially ruined my tomato plants . In trying to harden them off for transplanting I left them out in some suddenly HOT weather (we had an unusually cold winter and then several days of mid-80's to 90!). It was a little windy, too.

Some of the leaves are curling and have gray areas on them. No bugs that I have seen, and it all happened right after that hot, windy day. Oops. They are still alive and I think I'll try transplanting them.

The rabbits got my broccoli, which WAS looking awesome . Bad, bad bunnies. We installed rabbit fencing today and put our old plastic deer fence back over that, too.

My lettuces, spinach and swiss chard only sprouted a plant or two per square. Our 4x4 garden - we only have the one so far - is in full sun most of the day and exposed to wind. I think I need to move it for next year. And maybe plant a box on the north side of the house for cool season stuff.

Old 04-15-2010, 04:44 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmama View Post
I was going to try planting more lettuce in the squares next to my squash in the 3x3 area. It gets really hot here in the summer and I've read that planting in shady areas will help prevent the lettuce from bolting.

What do you think? Brilliant or crazy? I hate to lose all those squares to one plant, but I do love squash.
No reason why you can't try it. Keep them shaded and also mulched if you can so the soil doesn't dry out on them. Tell us how it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faabala View Post
\

Being our first year we cheated and bought plants. Everything is growing like crazy with the warm weather we have had. Next year we will try seeds.
Nothing wrong with plants. Next week our High School starts selling their plants and I will be there I used seeds for lettuce..have you seen how tiny they are, radish, carrots, cukes, and beans. The rest will be plants.

We need to have a seed swap because we use so few seeds. I got laughed at last year when I bought about 30 bean seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrbhjmnc View Post
Hello fellow square foot gardeners . I'm in Western NC and started broccoli, parsley, tomatoes, peppers and marigolds from seed this year. This is my second year of gardening ever. Last year we bought transplants.

I think I have probably killed or at least partially ruined my tomato plants . In trying to harden them off for transplanting I left them out in some suddenly HOT weather (we had an unusually cold winter and then several days of mid-80's to 90!). It was a little windy, too.

My lettuces, spinach and swiss chard only sprouted a plant or two per square. Our 4x4 garden - we only have the one so far - is in full sun most of the day and exposed to wind. I think I need to move it for next year. And maybe plant a box on the north side of the house for cool season stuff.
I'm sorry about your tomato plants. We sure have had some crazy weather. I'm not too far from you in the TN mountains and it has been hot...very crazy This is my second year also. I think it is all about trial and error and listening to other gardener's.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:55 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,399,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Happiness is seeing our little seeds sprout

BTW, I read in another post that someone planted carrots for their cross sections in their grids instead of using string or wood. I'm going to try that next week..but just in front of the zucchini which is 3x3.
Interesting thought. I thought about going a little bigger on the SFG to make the borders out of marigolds instead of wood or string. But I got lazy and will just do the wood instead. Maybe next year.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:36 AM

699 posts, read 2,895,069 times
Default how deep ?

I've been looking online and most kits are 6" deep. Is 6" enough? Also looks like I cannot get vermiculite locally. The plant burned down.

So maybe I should order online. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Old 04-16-2010, 07:06 PM

133 posts, read 626,913 times
I got a grow bed (with extensions) from Gardeners.com that is 3x6 and 10" deep.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:41 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,958,286 times
I built mine out of 2"X12"x8' wood from Home Depot. Nothing to it, just screw them in.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:07 AM

699 posts, read 2,895,069 times
I am having trouble finding vermiculite. Can get in 8 qt bags. So how many of these equal 3 cubic feet? Or is there a website I can get it without paying $20.+ for shipping?

Old 04-17-2010, 03:52 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
I am having trouble finding vermiculite. Can get in 8 qt bags. So how many of these equal 3 cubic feet? Or is there a website I can get it without paying $20.+ for shipping?

Do you have a Tractor Supply around or a Farm and Garden store? See if they can order the large bags of coarse vermiculite. Call around and ask. Someone should know a place that can order it for you.

Here are some of the breakdowns for a 6 inch deep bed which is the depth you need:

I use 5 gallon buckets to measure. Mix for one 4 x 4 garden should be:
4-5 buckets of peat moss
4-5 buckets of coarse vermiculite
4-5 buckets of compost

I just bought 1 big bag of vermiculite, 1 big compressed bag of peat moss, and about 5 medium bags of compost. Sorry I don't have the exact sizes. hat made enough for a 4 x 12 garden...maybe more. I mixed it into my garden soil from last year and made 2 new beds.

Good luck and let s know if you find some locally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden