Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 05:40 PM

30 posts, read 114,393 times

Advertisements

YAY! We put the tomato trellis in today . It will also support three pepper plants.

We are experimenting with this raised tomato bed with soil from our daughter's father-in-law's garden versus our square foot garden versus three little saved plants hastily placed in lightly improved clay soil.

We used 6-foot u-posts, 18 inch by 3/8 inch rebar to reinforce the posts and concrete remesh 7 foot x 3.5 foot panels. We used a total of 7 u-posts, 7 pieces of rebar and three panels of the reinforcing mesh (the kind that is already rusty when you buy it). We placed the rebar posts first, then pounded the u-posts in right against the rebar, then hung the remesh panels and then tied them to the u-posts with plastic zip ties. Note to inexperienced gardeners (meaning ourselves): Put up the trellis right after transplanting next year! Doh . Keeping the rapidly growing plants out of harms way was a little tricky. Oops.

A couple of photos:

and

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 11:26 PM

32,761 posts, read 35,972,154 times
Nice supports jl!, love the dinosaur.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,105,132 times
Your plants look nice & healthy!

Watch out for that dino!

Old 05-28-2010, 03:14 PM

That's Rexford, the family Tyrannosaurus Rex . He goes everywhere, sort of like a pet... . Hubby has a website on dinosaur toys and Rexford "helps" with the blog part .

We had HAIL today. Thank goodness it was small - mostly pea-sized. It did break a few parts of the smaller tomato plants and blew the sugar snap peas around in the SFG, but no real damage. Phew! The wind blew so hard it came horizontally at the house and under the door .

Old 05-30-2010, 08:55 AM

433 posts, read 1,138,907 times
I won't get many sugarsnaps but I have one to eat. It has been too hot here. I covered the frame with a lightweight cover. I wet it down and it has helped. They were totally yellow and brown and now there is green in them. I don't expect much but will enjoy the few I get raw, from the garden. I will try planting in the fall and next year put them in a couple of months earlier.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawk57 View Post
I won't get many sugarsnaps but I have one to eat. It has been too hot here. I covered the frame with a lightweight cover. I wet it down and it has helped. They were totally yellow and brown and now there is green in them. I don't expect much but will enjoy the few I get raw, from the garden. I will try planting in the fall and next year put them in a couple of months earlier.
Maybe that's what is wrong with ours, too - we have the pale green and partly brown-ish leaves, too - some of the stems are very pale. I thought it was too many plants (9) per square foot, but we did have a very hot time right after they were planted, and some of our days have been upper '80's to 90 F. They are in full sun most of the day. Hmmm... the few pods we have are delicious!

Old 06-01-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrbhjmnc View Post
Maybe that's what is wrong with ours, too - we have the pale green and partly brown-ish leaves, too - some of the stems are very pale. I thought it was too many plants (9) per square foot, but we did have a very hot time right after they were planted, and some of our days have been upper '80's to 90 F. They are in full sun most of the day. Hmmm... the few pods we have are delicious!

I know the peas don't like it hot. I used to grow them in Illinois but rarely got any to cook or save because the kids were always in the garden eating them as they were ready. I was hoping to introduce the grand baby to the joys of a pea right from the garden but there is only one and she won't be visiting for another couple of weeks.
I noticed on the peas a couple of days ago that something was munching on the leaves. I had some very small loopers on them. Needless to say they are smashed. I never knew loopers would eat pea leaves.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:24 PM

22 posts, read 98,734 times
Those U posts look really great. I bet you can't wait to see them covered in green!

Old 06-07-2010, 08:16 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,278,287 times
Update on my SFG. It will be a few more weeks before I can pick anything other than radishes and lettuce.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:46 AM

Your garden looks marvelous!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden