U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 03:03 PM

5,826 posts, read 7,814,438 times

Advertisements

I can't do square foot gardening, too low for my bad back. So I really raise the beds to new heights. -
This is one garden that comes up to meet me so I don't have to bend over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 10:06 AM

9,448 posts, read 24,231,775 times
I bought my square foot gardening material today. Got everything from Lowes for a 4'X4' square foot garden (wood, compost, peat moss, vermiculite, deck screws, twine) for $50. I did skimp a little on the vermiculite and only bought two small bags, but I am on a tight budget and could not afford a $25 bag. I will post some pics when I put it all together.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:10 PM

16,487 posts, read 17,957,602 times
When I was single and lived in an apartment with a yard I did square foot gardening. It works better when you are growing smaller amounts of food. It doesn't work as well if you have a large family or do major preserving. I got the book mentioned on square foot gardening as well. I also rotated crops and grew things next to each other that did well together.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:58 PM

9,448 posts, read 24,231,775 times
Thumbs up Update

I put my boards together today as I prepare for my first spring with a square foot garden. I know cedar wood is best, but I am on a tight budget and got some inexpensive wood at Lowes today instead. I bought two 2" x 8" x 8' ($6.33 each) and had then cut them in half so I had four 4' sections. I used 3" deck screws to attach the boards together to make my 4' x 4' frame. I plan to make the soil mix early next week and start getting some plants going as well as putting in some transplants I have started inside. Here is what my 4' x 4' square foot garden frame looked like after putting it together today.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:24 PM

7,427 posts, read 10,826,103 times

You want to come over and help me put one together?

Old 02-22-2009, 04:44 PM

17,496 posts, read 17,910,048 times
Me too but could mine have 3 foot legs and a bottom please?

Old 02-22-2009, 05:31 PM

202 posts, read 664,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
As far as I can tell there is no soil/dirt in a "Square Foot Garden" so no weeds.

It's a mix of:
1/3 coarse vermiculite(which I found on-line)
1/3 peat moss
1/3 mixed or natural compost

Here is a site for the vermiculite which you should be able to find locally comes Spring.

Vermiculite 4 cu ft.

Here is my garden plan according to the SFG directions. I will have 3 trellises on the north side to let those veggies climb.

This is the official site for Square Foot Gardening. I think it sounds great for a beginner. We'll see.

The Official Site of Square Foot Gardening and Mel Bartholomew, Originator and Author
I applaud you for starting a garden. The news says gardening is on the increase as people try to save money in this economy. It also gives you fresher and more nutritious food.
Looking at the layout the book recommends, it looks pretty good. I would think about succession planting too. For example radishes are usually a pretty fast and early harvest, whereas carrots are good to harvest in the fall when it gets near freezing, because it makes them sweeter. Just a thought. Have fun!

Old 02-22-2009, 06:51 PM

9 posts, read 233,796 times
NORTH RALEIGH GUY is off to a good start. When I have started my SFGs in three locations (all heavy red clay areas), I removed the sod and dug out about six inches of soil before placing the frame. Then all the soil, vermiculite, peat moss, fertilizer and lime were mixed together in the hole/frame. This gives plenty of depth for root systems and straight carrots. I interplant things and also do succession planting. The SFGs have been easy to care for and very productive. My first garden was started in 1986, so I have had time to experiment with many veggies and have had good luck with all.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:17 PM

16,487 posts, read 17,957,602 times
You can do square foot gardening in raised beds as well, best of both worlds.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:39 PM

17,496 posts, read 17,910,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
You can do square foot gardening in raised beds as well, best of both worlds.
Since I am not a handy ma'am I need somebody to come build me some. In the meantime I have kids that do nice bending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden