Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2012, 07:32 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert125 View Post
I'm starting it out soon and i promise that i'll keep you all updated about its progress.
Sounds good

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Too bad I had already got my bed half full of topsoil before I got the book. I guess I'll just substitute the topsoil for the peat, and hope it works out.

Do you all actually use 1/3 vermiculite? It is really expensive. I might as well skip the gardening and go buy my veggies at Whole Foods.
The vermiculite can be expensive but it is just the start up cost. I bought mine in big bags from a farm supply. It was under $20.00 for a huge bag. Maybe I can have them send it to you

I want to build an A-frame trellis for my beans this year. Still trying to find good pictures of one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 04:10 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Sounds good

The vermiculite can be expensive but it is just the start up cost. I bought mine in big bags from a farm supply. It was under $20.00 for a huge bag. Maybe I can have them send it to you

I want to build an A-frame trellis for my beans this year. Still trying to find good pictures of one
Lisa, do you know how many cubic feet are in a bag?

Old 02-06-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Lisa, do you know how many cubic feet are in a bag?
I found my post from my first year of gardening

I got coarse vermiculite for $13.95 for a 4 cubic foot bag. I'm sure it would cost me about $20.00 is I was buying it this year.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:49 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Ok, thanks. I can get it at HD for $20. I'll probably get one bag now and one in a few weeks. That way, I'll forget that my first crop of veggies will be so expensive.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:40 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Just bought "the book" by Mel Bartholomew, hopefully it is a $19.99 well spent.
The method looks interesting enough so will be trying it out in the spring.

"Prep-ing" to grow more in less space (even though we have acres but I always like "compact" & close to the house idea better)...

Hope this method works for me.
Checking back on this thread...
I am very excited and winter is yet to be over for me.

I am having my patch cleared down back to prep for my garden, have yet to purchase any of Mel's mix but already have the seeds (still too early to start them) ready to go.

1 more month to go before I can plant???

Will update on my progress.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Checking back on this thread...
I am very excited and winter is yet to be over for me.

I am having my patch cleared down back to prep for my garden, have yet to purchase any of Mel's mix but already have the seeds (still too early to start them) ready to go.

1 more month to go before I can plant???

Will update on my progress.

I know...I am getting excited but it is a false excitement right now. I have to wait until the at least the middle of May before I can plant anything.

I think this is your frost dates. Don't plant too early.
USDA Hardiness Zone: 7A

Last Frost Date (Spring 2011): 4/22

First Frost Date (Fall 2011): 10/17

Average Growing Season: >181 days

Old 02-08-2012, 08:22 PM

866 posts, read 1,137,239 times
does anyone order seeds from mail-order catalogs?

I used to buy from gurney's a lot but looking at the prices in the catalog this year, I think I'm going to buy seeds locally...hopefully I can find ones that aren't GMO or sprayed with agent orange like
one of the other forum threads was talking about...

Old 02-09-2012, 06:59 AM

It's less expensive for me to buy mine locally. I can also buy plants for 25cents at the high school. I get my tomato plants there.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:20 AM

30 posts, read 114,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
does anyone order seeds from mail-order catalogs?

I used to buy from gurney's a lot but looking at the prices in the catalog this year, I think I'm going to buy seeds locally...hopefully I can find ones that aren't GMO or sprayed with agent orange like
one of the other forum threads was talking about...
I have had good success with the companies/organizations linked below, buying open-pollinated seeds. If you take time to research their standards, I think you will like doing business with them. All of my orders have been accurate and shipped promptly. Germination has been 100% so far as this still-green gardener can tell .

Seed Savers Exchange
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds - 1400 heirloom garden seeds!
Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, Saving the Past for the Future
Welcome to Victory Seeds - Rare, Open-pollinated & Heirloom Garden Seeds

Old 02-09-2012, 08:47 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,399,697 times
Glad to hear that two of the companies I've bought from are on your 'good success list! I bought seeds this year from Baker Creek, Seed Savers and Bountiful Gardens - Home page,Bountiful Gardens website,Bountiful Gardens home.

First year ordering seeds, I've usually started with transplants or saved seeds/seeds from friends. Crossing my thumbs (hopefully green ones!) hoping for a good year this year - last spring was very cold and damp - lots of things didn't get started really growing until too late and spring crops were stunted and didn't produce well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrbhjmnc View Post
I have had good success with the companies/organizations linked below, buying open-pollinated seeds. If you take time to research their standards, I think you will like doing business with them. All of my orders have been accurate and shipped promptly. Germination has been 100% so far as this still-green gardener can tell .

Seed Savers Exchange
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds - 1400 heirloom garden seeds!
Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, Saving the Past for the Future
Welcome to Victory Seeds - Rare, Open-pollinated & Heirloom Garden Seeds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden