Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 11:40 AM

202 posts, read 818,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Thanks Debsi. But I can plant different varieties of tomatoes in this 2/4 feet box right? I mean, I dont have to be very specific about which variety should go beside what?

And its just going to be me and my hubby...so you think 8 plants would be too much? We use tomatoes moderatly.
8 plants for 2 people should be about right. If you have a green thumb, when they are all in full production you'll probably be giving some away to lucky friends. I would start more than 8 cause you might lose a couple along the way, they break pretty easily.

Last edited by snkalaska; 02-24-2009 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: wrong number quoted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 11:56 AM

161 posts, read 487,790 times
I tried squarefoot gardening for the first time last year & it did pretty good. It's just my husband & I so the one '4x'4 was more than enough for us. I had bell peppers, tomatoes, bush beans, radish, lettuce, spinach, swiss chard, carrots, yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers, peas. For pest control, I planted marigolds & green onions. I planted 4 corn plants in another part of our small yard/

I'm a little jealous that you guys can plant outside now . In western NY, our last frost date is near Memorial Day but I will be starting my seeds indoors soon. This has been a great savings on our grocery bill .

Old 02-24-2009, 12:12 PM

395 posts, read 1,284,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snkalaska View Post
8 plants for 2 people should be about right. If you have a green thumb, when they are all in full production you'll probably be giving some away to lucky friends. I would start more than 8 cause you might lose a couple along the way, they break pretty easily.
Thanks for the tip snkalaska. Just one more question...I know that I have to plant the plant 60 to 75% deep in the soil but how many inches of compost/soil mix i need to be using for tomatoes?

I am planning to leave the bottom of the box open to the ground and I was planning to mix the soil below with compost but I am just wondering how many inches of compost/soil mix is essential for tomato plants...

Old 02-25-2009, 08:00 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,273,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annken View Post
I tried squarefoot gardening for the first time last year & it did pretty good. It's just my husband & I so the one '4x'4 was more than enough for us. I had bell peppers, tomatoes, bush beans, radish, lettuce, spinach, swiss chard, carrots, yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers, peas. For pest control, I planted marigolds & green onions. I planted 4 corn plants in another part of our small yard/

I'm a little jealous that you guys can plant outside now . In western NY, our last frost date is near Memorial Day but I will be starting my seeds indoors soon. This has been a great savings on our grocery bill .

Wow you had a great garden for 1 box. Can you share your layout with us? And did you use any trellises? I can't believe you were able to grow all those veggies in 1 garden. Didn't the Bush beans, squash, and zucchini need a lot of space?

Thanks

Old 02-25-2009, 08:14 AM

395 posts, read 1,284,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Wow you had a great garden for 1 box. Can you share your layout with us? And did you use any trellises? I can't believe you were able to grow all those veggies in 1 garden. Didn't the Bush beans, squash, and zucchini need a lot of space?

Thanks

you echo my thoughts. So many plants in 4/4!

annken, if you have a picture, can you please share it with us? I am trying to plant many plants in limited place due to space constraints.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:29 AM

43 posts, read 304,685 times
Does anyone else do the vertical growing for tomatoes, cucumbers, melons, etc. that he mentions in the older version of the book (we have it from my father, who used it in the 70s)... I'm not sure if he still has it in the new updated SFG book.

Last year, we did tomatoes (9), watermelon (1), cantaloupe (1), and cucumbers (1) vertically. They each produced less than they would have in their more usual arrangements (1 watermelon and 1 cantaloupe), but they took up way less space and didn't crowd anything else out. Plus, it looks nice to have things climbing up a frame. I was still eating cherry tomatoes each day and got some nice fruits all-around.

We also made 2 4x4 boxes, one mainly for our herb garden and the other had carrots, rainbow chard, lettuce, broccoli, with nasturtium and marigold for pest control. We did our peas in an open area next to the veggie box. The best pest control was enclosing our veggie box with a hinged chicken wire and wood top... the rabbits never got a bit! lol

Does anyone have opinions on the vertical method?

Old 02-25-2009, 03:49 PM

202 posts, read 818,261 times
Default at least 12"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Thanks for the tip snkalaska. Just one more question...I know that I have to plant the plant 60 to 75% deep in the soil but how many inches of compost/soil mix i need to be using for tomatoes?

I am planning to leave the bottom of the box open to the ground and I was planning to mix the soil below with compost but I am just wondering how many inches of compost/soil mix is essential for tomato plants...
Tomatoes can get very big and have a big root system so I would say minimum of a foot. If you've got good soil underneath though you could do less. When you transplant tomatoes, don't be afraid to plant them deep. Just trim the leaves that you are burying and the stem will root out. Tomatoes like getting water deep and keeping the top dry will help prevent disease. If you don't have any pollinator insects, you may have to pollinate by hand. I use a toothbrush to transfer the pollen from flower to flower.

Last edited by snkalaska; 02-25-2009 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: clarify

Old 02-25-2009, 04:20 PM

9 posts, read 322,248 times
JAXSON - Preparation for next planting is easy using hand tools IF you have prepared the soil correctly with peat moss and vermiculite. For secondary planting during the growing season just loosen the soil with hand tools (fork and/or trowel). For preping before next year's planting, I use my Mantis mini tiller so I can mix in manure/compost and lime. You could also do it with a garden fork or spade.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:23 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,378,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snkalaska View Post
If you don't have any pollinator insects, you may have to pollinate by hand. I use a toothbrush to transfer the pollen from flower to flower.
So that's why I only got one cherry tomato? Among other things I did wrong.

How do you know when to do the pollinating? how often?

Old 02-25-2009, 08:56 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,113,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catmom69 View Post
JAXSON - Preparation for next planting is easy using hand tools IF you have prepared the soil correctly with peat moss and vermiculite. For secondary planting during the growing season just loosen the soil with hand tools (fork and/or trowel). For preping before next year's planting, I use my Mantis mini tiller so I can mix in manure/compost and lime. You could also do it with a garden fork or spade.
Thank you guess I can close that part of my inquiring mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden