Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2013, 08:10 AM

2,104 posts, read 3,008,476 times

Advertisements

A few weeks ago I got my garden planted.( I need to stop adding boxes!) All are doing good except for one box. Everything in it is still about an inch tall. It's got the same exact mix as the other ones do. I water it the same way, etc. I have not checked the ph but will do it today. I can't figure it out. Any ideas?? I'm thinking about just getting in there with a shovel and mixing it all up and throwing a bunch of seeds in there randomly to see if anything happens. Right now there's carrots, radishes, cabbage, and a bunch of herbs. I've planted some of these in another box and they're doing great. I'm stumped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 09:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
I managed to get the garlic planted and some weeds pulled plus a few other gardening tasks completed. I am sure God forgave me for not being in church, but I think a couple people at our meeting here, from church, yesterday afternoon did not forgive me. Well, I think they did but not before getting a couple of digs in.

Nita

Old 05-27-2013, 06:03 PM

2,104 posts, read 3,008,476 times
As long as God forgives you that's all that matters.
I ended up spending the day cutting and clearing back some of my woods. Beginning to look like a jungle here.
Reading about you getting your garlic planted makes me want to plant some, I love garlic. Maybe it'll grow in my "dead" box. Think I'll try tomorrow.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdurncat13 View Post
As long as God forgives you that's all that matters.
I ended up spending the day cutting and clearing back some of my woods. Beginning to look like a jungle here.
Reading about you getting your garlic planted makes me want to plant some, I love garlic. Maybe it'll grow in my "dead" box. Think I'll try tomorrow.
Thanks, I needed that: well actually I wasn't too worried, I certainly don't think missing church here and there will keep me out of heaven. Now a few other things I have done in my life might..

I am pretty excited though: I checked yesterday and I have about 4 tomatoes. They are not as big as my baby finger nail, but they are there. That is the important thing. I also was amazed to see my Zinnia seeds are already popping up and they were planted Saturday. What a difference a month of so will make. I put other planter flower seeds in before our temps started warming up. It took them about 6 weeks to sprout. In fact I thought they would not make it, now, here it is, warmer weather and 3 days later they are above the ground. Of course just barely, but they are.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:51 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I managed to get the garlic planted and some weeds pulled plus a few other gardening tasks completed. I am sure God forgave me for not being in church, but I think a couple people at our meeting here, from church, yesterday afternoon did not forgive me. Well, I think they did but not before getting a couple of digs in.

Nita
Nita,

Good for you! Now you can enjoy the anticipation of the taste of your own garlics at the end of summer!

As for skipping church, I always say that garden is a perfect place of worship. There are plenty of examples & hymns describing experiencing our Lord in the garden. Besides, I tell my friends that God does not deduct the time I spend in the garden from the number of days on this Earth

Old 06-01-2013, 07:01 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
After a wet and cold spring I finally got my garden planted. Now the long wait for food
Mike and Lisa's World: Chapter 153...Planting My Garden And Chicken Poo Makes Me Happy

Old 06-01-2013, 02:59 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
After a wet and cold spring I finally got my garden planted. Now the long wait for food
Mike and Lisa's World: Chapter 153...Planting My Garden And Chicken Poo Makes Me Happy
I want to give you feedback on the blog, Lisa, but when I go there I wind up in some endless circle of Google, URL, etc., and I'm supposed to pick one, but I don't seem to be able to figure it out. Anyway, I enjoy it, and your garden looks great, as usual.

I don't know why you digging the chicken poo reminded me of the quote about "a virtuous woman is worth her weight in rubies". You could just change the rubies to chicken poo.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:18 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I want to give you feedback on the blog, Lisa, but when I go there I wind up in some endless circle of Google, URL, etc., and I'm supposed to pick one, but I don't seem to be able to figure it out. Anyway, I enjoy it, and your garden looks great, as usual.
Just pick 'anonymous' type your message then I sign my name at the end of it. That way you don't have to go through all the registering on the other choices or use your FB account.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:08 AM

33 posts, read 48,006 times
Default greensq

Hello everyone I just joined the forum, I live in Up state NY the land here is 99% sand Ive done several soil test and could not even get a reading so I started square foot gardening this year and I'm following the book for soil mix Vermiculite I found at my local Agway Wish me luck!

Old 06-03-2013, 01:33 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,942,023 times
Has anyone grown broad/fava beans in their SFG? I can't find the spacing anywhere, and my seed packet doesn't say. They're aggressive climbers like pole beans, but spreadier (new word!!), so I don't think 8/sq on trellis is going to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden