Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2014, 06:59 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,579,421 times

Advertisements

I have a question about vermiculite. Is it safe to buy the vermiculite that is sold in the insulation isle at the hardware store? It's a lot cheaper than the vermiculite sold in the garden section and it's even distributed by a horticulture company.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 07:40 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
I have a question about vermiculite. Is it safe to buy the vermiculite that is sold in the insulation isle at the hardware store? It's a lot cheaper than the vermiculite sold in the garden section and it's even distributed by a horticulture company.

Thoughts?
I just read some articles about it. The verdict..it is a little coarser and not as consistently sized as the garden bags. The one "potential" drawback is if it is toxic at all. Get the name of the company and e-mail them or call them.

Then let us know what you find out

This was written in response to one person's e-mail request:

"Hi Maria
Thank you for contacting Sun Gro. If the product is “Sunshine” or “Stronglite” brand, then the vermiculite is the same as what is used in greenhouses. It may be coarser (larger) size but it will work well in your garden.
Happy Gardening.
--Kathryn

Based on the company's response, it sounds like the major difference is just lack of uniform sizing in the insulation....????"

From here:
vermiculite - vermiculite danger? - Page 2

Old 04-19-2014, 07:52 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,864,172 times
We had to bring our containers in because we had some freezing temps this week. We opened them to see how they were doing and our peas are already popping up! I don't know how to include a photo here but I uploaded them to my page. Woo Hoo!

We have tomatoes, broccoli, peas, spinach and something else I can't recall right now (brain fog ;-) in these containers. I plan to put the carrots and lettuce in separate containers since they need something deeper. I'll put the cilantro in the hanging basket on the side of the deck if ever decides to stop raining here.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:28 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Well got my elevated raised garden bed put together & loaded down with organic soil but can't plant until after May 10th. It will be nice to watch the plants grow instead of staring at a privacy fence this summer.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Well we put our first tomato and pepper plants in last week, the frost decided they would ruin all our hard work, so I am about to go out and start over. We did cover everything, only to lose all but 2 pepper plants. Now, we have no choice but to pray for no more frost. It is pretty unlikely. If I don't plant today I I will have to wait til we get home from vacation the middle of May. it is now or never.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:28 AM

Oh no, nmnita. I'm sorry you lost all your hard work. I will cross my fingers that you don't get any more frost.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:30 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
I cheated and bought some Romaine plants. I am so impatient with seeds, lol. I planted some beets and the lettuce Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
We had to bring our containers in because we had some freezing temps this week. We opened them to see how they were doing and our peas are already popping up! I don't know how to include a photo here but I uploaded them to my page. Woo Hoo!

We have tomatoes, broccoli, peas, spinach and something else I can't recall right now (brain fog ;-) in these containers. I plan to put the carrots and lettuce in separate containers since they need something deeper. I'll put the cilantro in the hanging basket on the side of the deck if ever decides to stop raining here.
Yay…it is so exciting when our seeds start to sprout Love your pics. How and what are you doing with your sprouts? I may have to dig my sprout jar out

BTW, if you want to know how to load your pics:
1. Add them to an album(which you did)
2. Copy a single picture
3. Click Post Reply. Once that page opens click on the little yellow box that looks like mountains and a stamp.
4. "After" the hight lighted http:// paste your picture.
5. It should show up when you submit your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Well got my elevated raised garden bed put together & loaded down with organic soil but can't plant until after May 10th. It will be nice to watch the plants grow instead of staring at a privacy fence this summer.
Plants are so much better

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well we put our first tomato and pepper plants in last week, the frost decided they would ruin all our hard work, so I am about to go out and start over. We did cover everything, only to lose all but 2 pepper plants. Now, we have no choice but to pray for no more frost. It is pretty unlikely. If I don't plant today I I will have to wait til we get home from vacation the middle of May. it is now or never.
Hoping you stay frost free.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:39 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
You are all so lucky that you can even put a shovel into the ground, never mind plant your vegetables. I have tomatoe plants started and they're going to sit inside in the pots for a long time yet. I wish the "risk of frost" was our only worry lol.

Up here in the great white (damned) north lol, we still have snow all over our yard and it's April 21st!!! Freezing rain and possible snow flurries predicted today This year we've had more snow and cold weather than I can ever remember. Sometimes we get snow in early October, so this is going to be a very short growing season, if at all.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Yay…it is so exciting when our seeds start to sprout Love your pics. How and what are you doing with your sprouts? I may have to dig my sprout jar out
I started the seeds on top of the fridge and then we planted the sprouts in our containers. I was thinking about starting a compost bin so I can add to my potting mix, but I'm not sure yet. I have to read up on that and figure it out.

What do you do with your sprouts?

Thanks for the instructions on how to add the photos. I will give a try when I have some more photos to upload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Up here in the great white (damned) north lol, we still have snow all over our yard and it's April 21st!!! Freezing rain and possible snow flurries predicted today This year we've had more snow and cold weather than I can ever remember. Sometimes we get snow in early October, so this is going to be a very short growing season, if at all.
I moved to NC from Chicago four years ago and I remember many snowy Easters there. I have quite a few photos of the kids in pretty Easter outfits that no one can see because they are covered in snow suits.

If it's any consolation, it's been a bit nippy here in NC lately. Someone was kind enough to post in our state thread about the frost which is how I knew to bring in my containers. Plus, you'll have some beautiful weather this Summer when it will be a million degrees here. ;-)

Old 04-21-2014, 10:56 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
This year we've had more snow and cold weather than I can ever remember. Sometimes we get snow in early October, so this is going to be a very short growing season, if at all.
We've had a lot of snow & below normal temps in the lower 50 too. So wondering how our summer is going to go since we just got snow last week too. Thankfully it is not sticking around log now. At least you have your plants started I don't anywhere to keep them inside so will sow seeds soon outside.

I L-O-V-E Heartland TV show y'all have that we don't here.

nmnita hope your frost holds off also it is time to grow things somebody tell Mother Nature OK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden