U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 08:20 AM

37,092 posts, read 17,011,852 times

Advertisements

I am renting a 4x8' raised bed in a community garden. The soil is a mix of organic compost, perlite, organic soil and minerals....it is all tested for PH and overall composition.....making it easy for me to get started....I will be adding worm castings as I plant. I have just started making a grid of strings to mark the squares. I am pleased that they installed an automatic watering system to make it easy since the plot is about 15 mins from my home....not a backyard garden. Wish me luck.....this is a new adventure.. Old dog/new tricks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 06:05 AM

I started my garden with some Kentucky Wonder bush beans; Parisian carrots, Bonnie Best Brussel sprouts, bunching onions and flat leaf parsley plants and Italian Oregano. I am going on a month vacation next week.....so asked a "garden buddy" to look over my plot till I return. I may plant some yellow turnips before I leave.

Gardening in SWFL is very strange for this New England transplant.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:06 AM

6,406 posts, read 8,355,788 times
I just have an area on the south side of our garage that has a southern exposure with no obstructions to the east or west. I have a variety of raised beds, four are 2 feet by 6 feet and two of them are 2 feet deep and two are 1 foot deep, I also have 3 round planters that are 2 1/2 feet across. I run a garden service and typically bring home all the grass clippings and leaves, put those in a large compost heap and rotate it three times a week to maximize its internal heat and hasten decomposition. This past spring I spread that heap, 5 cubic yards, into a raised bed 3 feet high, 6 feet wide and 16 feet long and planted pumpkins and zucchini on it. I planted Blue Lake green beens in one 6 foot raised beds, a succession of greens, then carrots in another, lettuce in a third and 2 pumpins in another. Peas were in two of the round planters and 5 cucumber plants in the third round. I also have a hot house for tomatoes on the south side of the house that is 4 feet by 6 feet, 6 feet tall. I planted 6 tomato plants in 25 gallon tubs in it. Started getting tomatoes July 14th and still have tomatoes in a bowl. So far I have picked 404 cucumbers from the five cucumber plants, have a pantry shelf filled with Dill pickles, bread and butter pickles in sugar and some with Splenda, old fashioned mustard pickles and enough old fashioned red hamburger relish for a year. We ate fresh carrots several times a week for a month, ate fresh shelled peas for a month, had fresh lettuce for salads for two months. Got enough green beans to can a case of green beans, do a half case of Dilly beans and eat fresh cooked green beans. I only planted 3 zucchini plants and that was enough. The pumpkins on the pumpkin hill made 61 pumpkins, largest one about 35 pounds and smallest one 1 pound, over 300 pounds total. I am letting the beans and peas mature out for seed and have a new crop of peas started and another of lettuce, about to start cauliflower and more carrots. The garden is 20 feet by 35 feet and 3 feet of its south side is roses in a long bed. I produced enough from that space to feed us fresh vegetables every night for three months and still have some canned away for future months, plus enough pumpkins to give to all my friends and clients.
Attached Thumbnails
Square Foot Gardening  Anyone?-img_2147.jpg  

Old 07-04-2017, 07:52 AM

6,393 posts, read 2,450,367 times
I read quite a few pages but didn't see anything about what you guys use to raise the bed. Do you get railroad ties, cement blocks, regular wood, etc.? I will be moving into my own house in October and one of my future projects will be having a compost barrel and a small raised garden for tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans and I'm not sure yet what else. Maybe watermelon.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I read quite a few pages but didn't see anything about what you guys use to raise the bed. Do you get railroad ties, cement blocks, regular wood, etc.? I will be moving into my own house in October and one of my future projects will be having a compost barrel and a small raised garden for tomatoes, cucumbers, green beans and I'm not sure yet what else. Maybe watermelon.
The raised bed I have used was constucted of cement blocks....simply stacked.....there is a community garden down off Daniels behind the UU church.....in an "eco-preserve park setting" They do rent beds but if you just wanted some ideas......they have 100 of them. (watermelon are really too expansive and sont adapt well to a raised bed. There is also a great master gardener who gives lessons there and she has a display garden at her home (raised beds also) She goes by the name of "miss Potter" http://misspottersplace.com/ She is an excellent teacher.....very high energy and enthusiastic.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:04 AM

65,018 posts, read 72,711,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I started my garden with some Kentucky Wonder bush beans; Parisian carrots, Bonnie Best Brussel sprouts, bunching onions and flat leaf parsley plants and Italian Oregano. I am going on a month vacation next week.....so asked a "garden buddy" to look over my plot till I return. I may plant some yellow turnips before I leave.

Gardening in SWFL is very strange for this New England transplant.
Gardening is very strange for most of us when we relocate. I had my first really nice garden in VA, then we moved to Texas. Except for cukes I never got a decent anything in Texas. I worked full time, our soil wasn't great, we didn't have a lot of sunny areas for gardening an it was hotter than you know where. By the time we semi retired and moved to NM I was ready to plunge forward and the people we bought our home from already had a wonderful raised garden. I could do no wrong for 7 summers. Now, here we are, in AR. The soil isn't the best, but I have used a lot of top soil, my back is much older than it used to be and we go from miserably hot summers to wet and almost too cool summers. I am, after 9 years getting the knack of gardening here.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Gardening is very strange for most of us when we relocate. I had my first really nice garden in VA, then we moved to Texas. Except for cukes I never got a decent anything in Texas. I worked full time, our soil wasn't great, we didn't have a lot of sunny areas for gardening an it was hotter than you know where. By the time we semi retired and moved to NM I was ready to plunge forward and the people we bought our home from already had a wonderful raised garden. I could do no wrong for 7 summers. Now, here we are, in AR. The soil isn't the best, but I have used a lot of top soil, my back is much older than it used to be and we go from miserably hot summers to wet and almost too cool summers. I am, after 9 years getting the knack of gardening here.

Gardening in SWFL (tropical) is totally different from what I was used to in New England.....planting cool weather crops in October and exotic and strange crops in June this isnt great zuchinni and tomato growing area.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:49 AM

6,393 posts, read 2,450,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
The raised bed I have used was constucted of cement blocks....simply stacked.....there is a community garden down off Daniels behind the UU church.....in an "eco-preserve park setting" They do rent beds but if you just wanted some ideas......they have 100 of them. (watermelon are really too expansive and sont adapt well to a raised bed. There is also a great master gardener who gives lessons there and she has a display garden at her home (raised beds also) She goes by the name of "miss Potter" Miss Potters Place | SWFL showcase of edible gardening, plant nursery & microfarm! She is an excellent teacher.....very high energy and enthusiastic.

Thanks! UU is Unitarian something off Plantation?

Old 07-06-2017, 12:38 PM

8,445 posts, read 15,358,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Thanks! UU is Unitarian something off Plantation?
Unitarian universalist

Old 07-07-2017, 04:45 AM

8,856 posts, read 16,499,760 times

Three and a half weeks from planting seeds.

The garden is a bit overplanted but it's just stacked concrete blocks. It was built in late April of this year and here's pretty much how it was built: The Power of Stacked Concrete Blocks – Hillside Farm Hawaii

It was planted April 22nd and we've had loads of beet greens, lettuce and green beans so far. There's some hull less oats there which will be for oatmeal, although this first harvest will most likely just be for more seed to plant later. The oat harvest will probably be outside the raised bed garden since I'll want a larger patch of it.

The watermelon pretty much wandered out of the garden the very first chance it had.

It's growing on the hillside behind the garden and seems quite happy there.

It's a bit overplanted, but it can have a lot of water since it's a small space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden