U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 07:20 AM

36,576 posts, read 16,351,728 times

Advertisements

I am renting a 4x8' raised bed in a community garden. The soil is a mix of organic compost, perlite, organic soil and minerals....it is all tested for PH and overall composition.....making it easy for me to get started....I will be adding worm castings as I plant. I have just started making a grid of strings to mark the squares. I am pleased that they installed an automatic watering system to make it easy since the plot is about 15 mins from my home....not a backyard garden. Wish me luck.....this is a new adventure.. Old dog/new tricks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 05:05 AM

36,576 posts, read 16,351,728 times
I started my garden with some Kentucky Wonder bush beans; Parisian carrots, Bonnie Best Brussel sprouts, bunching onions and flat leaf parsley plants and Italian Oregano. I am going on a month vacation next week.....so asked a "garden buddy" to look over my plot till I return. I may plant some yellow turnips before I leave.

Gardening in SWFL is very strange for this New England transplant.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:06 AM

6,410 posts, read 8,070,944 times
I just have an area on the south side of our garage that has a southern exposure with no obstructions to the east or west. I have a variety of raised beds, four are 2 feet by 6 feet and two of them are 2 feet deep and two are 1 foot deep, I also have 3 round planters that are 2 1/2 feet across. I run a garden service and typically bring home all the grass clippings and leaves, put those in a large compost heap and rotate it three times a week to maximize its internal heat and hasten decomposition. This past spring I spread that heap, 5 cubic yards, into a raised bed 3 feet high, 6 feet wide and 16 feet long and planted pumpkins and zucchini on it. I planted Blue Lake green beens in one 6 foot raised beds, a succession of greens, then carrots in another, lettuce in a third and 2 pumpins in another. Peas were in two of the round planters and 5 cucumber plants in the third round. I also have a hot house for tomatoes on the south side of the house that is 4 feet by 6 feet, 6 feet tall. I planted 6 tomato plants in 25 gallon tubs in it. Started getting tomatoes July 14th and still have tomatoes in a bowl. So far I have picked 404 cucumbers from the five cucumber plants, have a pantry shelf filled with Dill pickles, bread and butter pickles in sugar and some with Splenda, old fashioned mustard pickles and enough old fashioned red hamburger relish for a year. We ate fresh carrots several times a week for a month, ate fresh shelled peas for a month, had fresh lettuce for salads for two months. Got enough green beans to can a case of green beans, do a half case of Dilly beans and eat fresh cooked green beans. I only planted 3 zucchini plants and that was enough. The pumpkins on the pumpkin hill made 61 pumpkins, largest one about 35 pounds and smallest one 1 pound, over 300 pounds total. I am letting the beans and peas mature out for seed and have a new crop of peas started and another of lettuce, about to start cauliflower and more carrots. The garden is 20 feet by 35 feet and 3 feet of its south side is roses in a long bed. I produced enough from that space to feed us fresh vegetables every night for three months and still have some canned away for future months, plus enough pumpkins to give to all my friends and clients.
Attached Thumbnails
Square Foot Gardening  Anyone?-img_2147.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden